Thread: RESIDENT EVIL 5
View Single Post
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:27 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Boogie View Post
Yeah, that first scene in RE4 where it's the afternoon and you're getting attacked by a villageful of axe-wielding psychos and some guy with a chainsaw? Totally not scary.
I would rather call it Panic-inducing. Itīs not scary in the "classic" sense. The Ganandos seem strange and potentially dangerous, given their numbers and Leonīs lack of decent weapons, but they are not scary. They are just some guys with hatchets that behave violently.

And for me, thereīs still a difference between

"Cloudy, dim light-afternoon in a rotten-somewhere-at-the-end-of-spain-village with a bunch of people with red eyes you canīt figure out yet"

and

"Bright sunny noon in a dusty shantytown somewhere in Africa with a bunch of people with something you already know going on."

The Bagmen are partially scary because of the bags that conceal their faces and their unnatural strenght.

To me, thereīs a difference between scary and threatening. The Regenerators, those were scary (lack of face, twitching, non-human appearance).

Now REAL Zombies on the other hand have a lot more potential because normally they induce the fear of having your humanity, your mind stolen from you. One bite, and your done for, you WILL join them in their everlasting strife for flesh until someone puts you down or is bitten by you, spreading the plaque even further.
This doesnīt apply to the Resident Evil Series of course, since the enemies just kill you (with the two Outbreak games being the exception). Just wanted to point it out.