View Single Post
Arts & Farts
Krythor is probably a real personKrythor is probably a real person
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 09:15 PM       
This thread inspired me to look up trivia for the original on IMDB.

Guess what I found.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0072271/

Summary: THIS is a classic?

First off I want to make one thing clear...I'm a huge horror movie fan. I love them--old ones, new ones, gory,non-gort...everything. But I really HATE this film!

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

Five 20-somethings (all of them annoying) are out on a road in rural Texas. They're running low on gas so two of them go to an isolated farmhouse to get some. In no time at all, one is hit in the head with a sledehammer and the other is hung up on a meathook. The others come looking and one by one are killed until one is left (Sally well-acted by Marilyn Burns). Can she get away?

Hopeless. This film is a mess. The first 45 minutes are very very dull. We listen to these five uninteresting characters yap endlessly about nothing. No insight to their characters or their motivations. One in particular (Franklyn) is VERY annoying--I couldn't wait for him to get it. When they start getting killed, you could care less. They never come across as real people so how can you get upset about their being killed? And the killings aren't ever remotely gory. You hear them,but don't see them. And the constant chainsaw on the soundtrack gave me a headache.

Also the acting mostly sucks. The family all overacts (although some of the sounds Leatherface gave did spook me)...Burns gave out the only good performance. Unfortunately she's TOO good. When she's being tortured and abused by the family at the end hearing her screaming and seeing her crying is way too realistic.

No gore, no plot, no characters, no point and--most important of all--no scares. A worthless piece of garbage. As one of the previous posters mentioned, the only people who seem to like it are those who saw it in 1974 (when it was really shocking). Most younger people (in their 20s) who I've spoken to who have seen it, don't like it. Not worth anybody's time.