View Single Post
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 12:13 AM       
I'm with Fathom Zero I love Metal Gear Solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman
MGS as a franchise has done little to no evolving, and anything resembling changes have all been in the wrong direction, see also the increased tendency towards 20 hour cutscenes and retro-camp-deprecation humor
I know nowadays cutscenes are considered outdated and anathema to game art but you know if what your watching is interesting then I don't see the problem and to be fair there is interactivity in MGS2 and up's cutscenes, it's not a lot but you shouldn't overestimate how much interactivity is needed to keep the player involved. And please don't tell me that Kojima should have just made a movie instead because it wouldn't be the same. Paradoxically, Kojima is probably the best in the business at using video game interactivity for dramatic and comedic effect; The sorrow boss fight, the torture scene in MGS, that scene where you get pissed on in MGS2, etc. Also, retro-camp-deprecation humor is a spot-on bit of wording but I don't see how it's a point against the series.

One thing I can't defend about Metal Gear Solid is Kojima's method of delivering exposition by weaving factual and semi-factual and pseudo-factual information along with his own fictional scenarios. But even this I don't really hate.

Last edited by King Hadas : Feb 14th, 2011 at 02:04 AM.