View Single Post
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 04:46 AM       
They actually did include checkpoints in the middle of missions in both of GTA4's expansions, and fixed most of the other problems people were complaining about. Motorcycles no longer suck, you never get nagged about man-dates anymore, and you can totally pretend like you're playing the opening scene of Akira all the time, especially during the "bikes-plus-baseball-bats" racing minigame.

Quote:
And please don't tell me that Kojima should have just made a movie instead because it wouldn't be the same.
No, it definitely wouldn't be the same as if he made a movie. I think part of the point of the first game was to show that video games could do things movies couldn't, which is why I liked it. Loved it, even. I also seem to be in the minority when I claim to like MGS2, but I remain steadfastly gay for the direction it took in the second half. Meta, brilliant, probably made on drugs, and I get to be a smug prick with the air of an intellectual when I talk about how deep it is. This is something I like to do. That shit is fruitcake.

Quote:
Also, retro-camp-deprecation humor is a spot-on bit of wording but I don't see how it's a point against the series.
It boils down to "I just think it's too silly," pretty much. I always had the impression of Metal Gear being a mostly serious drama with a point to make, and anything that seemed too ludicrous to believe I wrote off as a bit of comic relief, or something I thought was retarded but the writers and some of the players might not have. So, watching the sequels, Snake Eater especially, be intentionally ridiculous and point to themselves going "ha ha, look at how camp I am, remember how stupid we used to look?" makes me cringe more than a little bit. The first four seasons of the Doctor Who revival had the same problem, and like with that I get more worked up about the things it's doing wrong because when it does shit right it's an absolute joy to behold.

I'd equate it to having a good friend who is gradually becoming an embarrasing prick because of his crippling cocaine habit. I mean, you love the guy, but you can hardly stand him a good half of the time and don't want to be seen together in public.

But really, maybe all Kojima ever wanted to do was make campy comedies, and he's passive-agressively getting back at us for demanding more Metal Gear and distracting him from his real passions by breaking our hearts. Or, rather, just mine, since I seem to be the only one with a problem. I wouldn't put it past him, crazy dickhead.

By the by, did anyone else play the one on the Gameboy Color? It's a crime how overlooked that game is.

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Feb 14th, 2011 at 05:44 AM.