View Single Post

The Good Reverend Roger is probably a spambot
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 09:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Reverend Roger
Mecca, Jerusalem, Medina, and Qum, in that order (though most only pray toward Mecca). What's that got to do with anything?
Apparently nothing. If we just capture Bin Laden and stopthe Taliban, it'll all come to an end, right?

Quote:
Naw. I find it hard to take a war on a tactic seriously. That's like having a war on ambushes. I am more interested in destroying a particular group (Al Qaeda), and severely punishing another (the Taliban).
So wait, a war on a tactic is silly, but a war on two monolithic organizations will solve the whole problem? I want to catch Bin Laden and the gang just as bad as you do, but "Al Qaeda n Iraq" and "Al Qaeda in England" need Bin Laden at this point like Microsoft needs Bill Gates. Al Qaeda has become a franchise like Subway, and all you need to do now is kill infidels and hate Israel/America/the West in order to carry the banner. You have me all wrong. While I do believe there is a binding philosophy that makes them a potentially dangerous coordinated threat, it's there anarchic character that makes them so dangerous.

But there [i]are[/] sources. There are intellectual sources, as well as financial sources. And these actors are organized, well funded, and driven.

Quote:
*shrug* So he knew how to throw the propaganda. He really wasn't fooling anyone that didn't want to be fooled. You might notice the number of Muslim nations that signed up to fight him in the gulf war.
Bin Laden helped fortify Saudi Arabia's borders against Saddam during the Gulf War. Less than a decade later he was talking to agents from his country. Ya know, the enemy of my enemy, etc.

You put far too much faith in things you consider to be absolute, like alliances and clans. The story of the Middle East is full of strange bed fellows dealing with what were perceived as greater threats at the time.

Saddam was an opportunist and a mad man. The fact that he could care less in reality about Islam only enhances the likelihood that he'd exploit it for its violent potential in my mind.
See, here is where we differ. You want to "solve" the problem (good luck with that). I just want revenge. Hell, had we dealt with Afghanistan properly, the Muslims would have found someone else to play with.

Lord Kitchener said it best: "The Arab is at your feet or at your throat."