View Single Post
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM       
Quote:
So we will be studied and treated like chimps? Sorry, but that comparision gives me the willies.
Nope, we won't be studied like chimps at all. I only brought that up to demonstrate how similar we are and how many of the things we consider "human" are also chimp; including our psychology.

Quote:
It has everything to do with transhumanism. And comparing these new technologies to a fundamentally neccessary social institution such as a government or a justice system is like comparing apples to oranges.
Actually I'm comparing your reasoning. Your reasoning is that, ABUSE COULD OCCUR THEREFORE WE SHOULDNT DO IT. Abuse can occur in justice/government/welfare, therefore we shouldn't do it. This means that we can't rely on the potentiality of abuse to judge if it's wrong. In fact, if anything, this means we should develop ways to protect it from being abused.

Quote:
These things are a matter of trial and error, and the possibilty of something going horribly wrong is far more likely than everything going perfectly.
The entire idea of trial and error implies that it will likely improve over time ;/ No new technologies work completely at first, and many have horrible difficulties. Also when you have problems y ou try to fix them ;/ it's not like they'll go, "Hey, look... there's a problem here. Let's keep replicating the same exact experiment over and over."

Do you think it's more likely that they would develop this problem and have some problems and then would have these problems for eternity or that they would have these problems for maybe a decade and then begin to have it fine-tuned by then? hmm.

and anyway all the problems you bring up are gay. OH THIS POWER TO MODIFY BRAINS COULD BE ABUSED. Well, then... obviously, the problem isn't the TECHNOLOGY but that it could be abused. So you have to protect from that. Not abolish the technology.

IMMORTALITY COULD CAUSE INSANITY! Well, then let people kill themsleves or find some way to satisfy themselves otherwise; whether technologically or spiritually or whatever. I mean, even not dying unexpectadly is a vast improvement in the human condition; it doesn't necessarily have to be immortality.

The problems you're bringing up aren't impossible to overcome ;/