View Single Post
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 07:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rorschach
that translates into war.
So why do I support the war? Because ultimately it will save lives. It will save the lives of countless Kurds who would otherwise be forced to struggle for mere existance - And if anyone doubts this, take a look at the language used when chastising Turkey for their threat of invasion, and you'll see we were willing to lose a valuable ally to protect what amounts to a miniscule minority. It will save the lives of Iraqi citizens wracked with oppression and starvation because Hussein cared more for building his own power base than he did for meeting the needs of his people. This, I believe, is the ultimate rationale for a just war. I only wish the man who was leading us into it was just himself.
The Kurds were actually doing quite well before this war started. They were (and hopefully still are) protected by American and British flyovers, their economy was going pretty well (even with some disposable income), and they had a semi-autonomous democratic providence. I hope to God that this war doesn't change that.