View Single Post
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Feb 1st, 2011, 01:54 PM       
Quote:
in Versus it´s really a bit like Team Fortress.
The game honestly reminds me a lot more of Team Fortress Classic than 2, and I can't decide whether that's good or bad. TFC is an awesome game that I like a lot, but it's also a horrible shitpile full of fucking wankers who never play it right. Here's what I mean, more or less.

In TFC, unlike in TF2, every class gets two types of grenades (except the Sniper, who only gets one): Frag grenades, your typical throw-do-damage bollocks, and a special grenade relating to what the class does. Demoman gets a big fuckoff bomb that splinters into like 6 smaller grenades after exploding, Spy gets gas grenades that cause the enemy to hallucinate and be unfit to chase him (in theory, anyway, in practice they were just mildly annoying/hilarious to drop at spawn doors), Pyro gets a fire grenade, Scout gets caltrops and concussion grenades to make him even more of an uncatchable little bastard, etc. They can carry up to four of both types, which is more than you'll ever need per life, but they can be refilled pretty easily. Now, in the game, there are only two classes that really bother to fight with bullets, and that's Sniper and Heavy Weapons Guy. Everyone else might as well throw their guns in the fucking river, since their grenades are one or two hit kills that you barely have to aim and are easily mastered, especially if you're of the basement dwelling persuasion. (In all honestly, though, the special grenades are pretty cool, and I could see the whole grenade system being mildly balanced if only a handful of classes got frags instead of 8 of them; the way it is now, everyone's basically a Demoman and sentries are a complete joke.)

Team Fortress Classic also contains the Combat Medic, who, unlike his nice and balanced German drinking buddy, is objectively the best class in the entire game. He's super fast, has a big fuckoff super nailgun, can fly around the map with his concussion grenades without taking damage, and has a hand-held medpak that is ostensibly for healing friendlies, but is only ever used for its secondary function of infecting enemies with a nigh incurable, contagious virus that you can only get rid of if you're healed by a friendly Medic (note: this will never, ever happen). Don't try going into the spawn for those medpack drops, either, since that will infect your entire team through I guess the fucking loudspeaker. Needless to say, Medics are complete fucking dicks, every team has at least 3, and I hate them.

Now, replace "Grenades" with "Skills" and "Medic" with "Assassin" and you've more or less got Monday Night Combat. The only thing I seem to be good at is farting around the Moneyball as Support upgrading RockIt turrets, poking my head out of the stronghold to farm cash from bots, and crying (unrelated aside: the Support's cowardly weeping every time he gets shot is fucking hilarious). Everything else gets me horribly murdered, if not by an Assassin, then by any class that's there, usually instantaneously. 80% of the time, guns are not a part of the equation from their end, the preferred methods of offing my stupid ass being grapple kills and spamming skills, a good most of which are inescapable death sentences when fully upgraded. Special mention goes to Assault's charge tackle, which sends you flying out of the arena at about 90 miles per hour and can be done from a decent distance away. Funny the first two times, monitor-fist infuriating from then on.

Assassins are a major problem for me; twice as fast as everyone else, can go twice as fast as that when using their dash skill, and can attack while invisible, so you will never see them until you are deceased. This is justified, in theory, by a faint drone emitted by their cloaking device, but go ahead and try to hear that in the middle of a firefight, or while doing anything at all other than standing stock still listening for Assassins. Fully upgraded ones don't even have to get behind you for a one-shot, they can just leap on your face and initiate wanton slaughter. They also share the TFC Medic's ability to freely leap around the map while simultaneously fucking up the HUDs of other players, which is a right pain in the dick. A favorite technique seems to be just jumping over their heads while blind and backstabbing them. Not to mention the lunge ability, which is activated by "reloading" the knife, recharges in a fraction of a second as to be massively spammable, does an absurd amount of damage, and shoots the player forward about 10 feet, again boosting the mobility of the runny fuckheads. I don't care for Tanks because they also kill the shit out of me, but they seem to be the best anti-assassin class due to their fire gun and inability to be one-shotted ever. I will either main them in the future or have one be my very best friend in every game.

tl;dr: MNC is good but I hate the fucking shit out of it. Also, would it have killed the porting team to have added a permanantly visible chat field, instead of making you hit U every time you want to see what anyone's typing? Or let us type while dead, or let us type more than half a twitter entry? Fuck, man, Marathon had better player chat than this.

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Feb 1st, 2011 at 02:45 PM.