View Single Post
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM        The RPG Completion Quest: Part Deux
Some of you may remember my previous thread.

Anyway, my goal is to beat lots of RPGs.

Here my list of completed games thus far;

NES

Dragon Warrior 1
Dragon Warrior 2
Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3

GameBoy/GBC

Final Fantasy Adventure
Pokemon Blue
Pokemon Silver (kind of)

SNES

Final Fantasy 4 (PSX version)
Final Fantasy 5 (PSX version)
Secret of Mana
E.V.O.
Chrono Trigger (PSX version)
Super Mario RPG

N64
Paper Mario

PSX

Final Fantasy 7

GBA

Golden Sun

PS2

Final Fantasy X
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
The Bard's Tale
Magic Pengel

PC

Diablo
Diablo II

Games I have yet to play or beat, that I have in my possession;

NES

Mother

GameBoy/GBC

Final Fantasy Legend
Final Fantasy Legend 2
Final Fantasy Legend 3
Pokemon Silver (again)

SNES

Earthbound
Secret of Mana 2
Bahamut Lagoon
Illusion of Gaia
7th Saga

PSX

Final Fantasy 6
Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Dragoon

GBA

Golden Sun 2
Mario & Luigi
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

PS2

Phantom Brave
Final Fantasy X-2

So, I just beat Kingdom Hearts 2, pumping 86 hours of love into it before the finale came spurting out in glorious release. I loved that game, but I'm sad it's over. If you have a PS2, you owe it to yourself to own this game.

Before that, I'd beaten Bard's Tale. It's a fun enough game with a unique concept and funny moments. But the words "not enough" fit this game very well. The battles got tedious after a while, as did the frequent load times. The humor was good, but wasn't frequent enough. And the game was short (a good thing in its current incarnation). I would love to see a balls-out hilarious RPG, though.

What I'm playing now is Magic Pengel, and it is painful. A GREAT concept (draw creatures and fight with them), but it screams of a poor J-RPG. Right down to the horrendous dialogue (and even worse voice acting OH MY GOD the person who voiced Taro needs to die in a fire). Your Doodles increase in stats and abilities the more you draw on them, and you can draw more and use more part types when you fight in "official" battles. Problem is this usually means that you'll be redrawing your Doodles a few times. Hmm... I'll use this Hard pallette part to draw a weapon in his hand. Oh, now I have the Weapon pallette part 6 battles later. Time to redraw from scratch.

You can't pick and choose what parts to undo, so you have to keep undoing everything you've drawn in order, up to where you want to continue from. Sometimes, it's just better to start all over with your increased color usage and new parts. If you delete AND redraw without leaving the menu, your revised Doodle won't lose their experience. Not that experience even matters; You gain a hit point or two every now and then, but that's it.

Thankfully, this also appears to be short. I'm not even going to bother getting any of the bonus items (You can get an encyclopedia page or some shit if you get 1million gold).

Discuss RPGs, and recommend others for me to play, or what you think I shoudl play next. Ask me about the ones I've beaten (Does Golden Sun suck? Very much so.) Keep in mind one thing though - I will not play any Dragon Warrior games ever again.