View Single Post
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
Neverwinter Nights is a good PC RPG. One of my favorites.
Our store has a B1G1 Free sale going on, and I was going to buy that if I could find something to get free. So I decided I'd get a Risk/Axis & Allies 2-pack, but my manager closed the registers before I could buy them.

I was gonna go back there today and buy them, but someone just called asking me to work, so I have to pretend I'm dead until Thursday.

Magic Pengel is a great idea with horrible, horrible execution. The entire world of the game takes place in the following areas;

1) Open feild with a shanty.
2) Docks-like area with a few stands.
3) Busy cluttered marketplace with Engrish signs.
4) Entrance to the main battle arena.

Fighting in the main battle arena improves you standings in the royal tournament, and each battle you win there gets you a new Part Pallete and a level increase to your Pengel (the thing you draw with). You can also do regular battles, which are there for you to collect more color gems, either for drawing or to trade for gold at a 2:1 exchange.

And what's the point of gold? Well, near-everyone has their own Doodles to sell. So if you want, you can buy pre-made ones instead of making your own. Nevermind that the only fun you may really have is drawing your own guys, but the pre-mades suck and you'll just be messing with them anyway. You can also buy different paintbrushes (thin, square, very thick), but most of the time you'll stick with the standard brush anyway. Really, the only reason to worry about money is to get some secret item in the game that probably sucks anyway.

Story sucks too. Two little kids live in shanty and the government wants to take the land and they are EEEEEEVILLLLL. The dad is dead but the kids refuse to believe it and a Doodle shows up made by their dad and he tells them he's dead and they still don't believe it. All told through needlessly long cutscenes that take place after each tournament battle, with awkward music and grating voice acting.

There's also a moment where you need to turn 4000 Blue Gems into medicine for a Doodle that got sick somehow for some reason out of nowhere. Which I wish I had known before I sold my gems for gold. So I spent the next hour doing regular battles, hoping the gems I would be awarded would be Blue Gems. And you know what? My first regular battle after scrounging up enough gems? I win 6000 Blue Gems. Fuck you, Magic Pengel.

Thankfully, the game appears to be short. If I didn't bother with regular battles to get gold to buy paintbrushes, I might have finished this entire game in about 10 hours.

But the game had so much promise. Draw your own guys to fight with, where each color, size, and shape determines stats and attacks? That's pretty fucking awesome. On the other hand, that means you can't always make something you WANT, because it may not result in a capable fighting... thing.

Once I redo my Doodles (suck), I should take some shitty off-the-tv pictures to show here.