View Single Post
Forum Virgin
Arioch is probably a spambot
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM       
As stated earlier in this thread, the popular misconception is that morality is derived from religion. This is a pure and total sham. I have very strong morals, and a well formed sense of right and wrong. I would go so far as to say, comparing myself to the religious people I know, I probably have stronger morals than a majority of them. And I haven't stepped foot inside a church for many many years.

I think having strong morals goes hand in hand with having a conscience as well as believing that the actions you perform always come with consequences, both/either good and/or bad. Having common sense plays a part too, I think.

I see far too many people who don't ever consider that what they do effects others. As a matter of fact, I frequently get annoyed by the things I see people do just for this reason. One could say this is derived from being intelligent, but I think it's more than that (see my 2nd paragraph, above).

Simply realizing as often as possible that the world doesn't revolve around you and that you are merely a cog in the great machine of humanity helps to keep one grounded and aware that what you see through your eyes is not just a figment of your imagination.