View Single Post
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 10:13 PM       
I loved the book, but I can't disagree more about the movie trailers. Looks like they pretty much ruined it and turned it into a pg-13 comedy to me. First off the costumes are completely off, with the heroes using cloth costumes even though kick-ass specifically says he made his costume from a wet-suit he ordered on ebay. Secondly there's not a single shot with hit-girl holding a sword... leading me to believe that that the action has been REALLY toned down. Also nick cage as big daddy? I mean the guy was named big daddy because he was BIG. So naturally hollywood picked the scrawniest, woosiest action hero ever to play him. Oh and the fact that he and the mist inexplicably have costumes so high-end they rival something out of batman forever doesn't fit well with their characters. (Hell, they practically look like batman and robin!) And mc-Glovin as red mist? I won't spoil it for those who haven't read the book, but he's completely unsuited for the character. And of course hit-girl looks like she came straight out of lazytown what with the neon purple bowl cut.

I really hate to go on about cosmetic issues, but the look of the trailers is very light-hearted for such a dark book. I also don't understand why they just don't make the characters look like they do in the book. If anything they've made them look MORE ridiculous on purpose.

But things that really tip me off to the awfulness is stuff like the little bit where he goes "I'm kick-ass" ah-la batman. The books really aren't funny at all and if that's what some people get from them then I pray for their mental health.

But here's the wierd thing..... that's all I got from trailer #2.... trailer #1.... that's incredibly violent (if not still horribly inaccurate). It's almost like they re-did the film to tone it down. I'm rather torn as to how this will turn out.