Thread: Anime is gay
View Single Post
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 01:49 PM       
Warning: name dropping ahead

Not all anime series are good, but as long as they're not girly ones like Trigun, Ranma, or Fushigi Yuugi, i generally like what i watch. I can think of, off the top of my head, maybe two out of six series i have seen recently that i didn't like. Those Who Hunt Elves and The Bandit King both bored me. Devilman did too, but i think the edited version got switched up with the unedited at the video store. Lupin III, Berserk, Golden Boy, Excel Saga, Soultaker, Evangelion, and Final Fantasy Unlimited are the ones that are good, off the top of my head.

Even though they were pretty crappy, i liked Genocyber, MD Geist, The Guyver, and Blood Reign. Crappy animation is usually found in series that weren't mean to be high-reaching gods of the genre anyway. The movies i just meantioned were parts of small, cheap OVAs that probably weren't meant to even get as far as a second episode, they were just good lo-fi-sci-fi flicks.

The movies you'll want to watch (assuming you didn't hate everything i just mentioned) are:

Akira (I don't think it's that overrated. It had a great soundtrack, a unique story, the animation is incredible, and the art rules. The voice acting for the dub was a little iffy, however, and i think people find it overrated because maybe they don't totally understand the story?)

Princess Mononoke (had everything Akira got 10s in, and then some. Extra points for choosing talented voice actors)

Armitage III: Dual Matrix, AIII Poly Matrix (good artwork, and Armitage's voice actress was really good, she sounded like she was someone's mom, not a 23-year-old lady trying really hard :o)

Street Fighter Alpha (I like the art a lot, and the animation is really not that bad. Plus, people get beat up)

X (haha, just kidding)

Ghost in the Shell (thoughtful plot, good animation, decent voice acting, and the few deaths involved were neat :o)

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (This is as close to a Castlevania aniem you're going to get right now)

Ninja Scroll (solid animation and voice acting, plus lots of blood, lots of deaths, lots of "What the fuck is wrong with japanese people?" moments, lots of swords, and lots of ninjers. Good times for all.)

I still haven't seen Spirited Away or Grave of the Fireflies yet, so i can't tell you anything about those. I doubt anyone read all that anyway. :/