View Single Post
!!!

T-Rex is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 06:12 AM       
Oh just to clarify, I'm in England.

Yeah, they sell American cars in Europe. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea why. The only people who buy them are super rich jerks. Three reasons why they're jerks:

1. American cars are a lot bigger than European cars. We have loads of roads where two average (european) sized cars can comfortably fit on the road going in opposite directions. Throw a Silverado on that same road and now traffic going the other way is totally blocked. A two way road becomes a one way for the Chevy.

2. A 2.5 litre engine in England is considered a large engine size. The average sized car here runs between a 1.2 - 1.8 litre engine. A Ford Explorer has a whopping 4 litre engine. Consider this, in my area gas costs £1.11 per litre. (There's predictions of us paying £1.50 per litre towards the end of 2008/ first quarter of 2009). Running a 2.5+ litre engine is simply not financially practical. Especially when you consider point no. 1 as well.

3. We have round-abouts! Single, double and even triple sometimes. An average round-about will have two lanes. The inner is used for turning. You change into the outer when you are about to take your exit. I can understand how confusing it must be if you're not used to it. Especially because traffic moves pretty quickly at these sections. They're designed to work perfectly. If your car occupies the inner and half of the outer lane, you obstruct traffic trying to enter and exit the round-about. It's also a lot harder to judge the smaller cars and the smaller roads because:

a) you're a lot higher than everyone else (bear in mind that the roads are smaller and that traffic will be a lot closer to you).

b) you're driving on the left hand side of your car and in England we drive on the left hand side of the road. I don't even want to imagine how awkward that must be.

Yeah, these cars look really cool but it's not practical or considerate to other drivers to have them. Also, not to start a thing but the build quality on most American cars don't stack up against Germany or Japan. There was a Toyota Hilux on Top Gear that was burnt, crashed and even dumped in a lake. After all its abuse, the thing still started up! The average car in England is either from Japan, Germany or France.

Last edited by T-Rex : Apr 14th, 2008 at 07:19 AM.