Thread: HEADLINE NEWS
View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2010, 04:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
It always bugs me when people get it in their head that a company needs to pay for something because of what a few did. Sure, if you heavily penalize BP the CEO will likely get fired, but what of the thousands upon thousands of people they employ who will also suffer due to the backlash said punishment causes with either bankruptcy or massive layoffs?

Guess those people don't matter as long as we get revenge on one CEO or a few idiots right?

Why not do something revolutionary like prosecute the individuals responsible?

I have a relative who worked for a firm that worked for a BP refinery. I don't know how it went down everywhere, but this is what happened to him: when the spill happened, there was a sort of calm-before-the-storm. Then, when it came out that BP was responsible for the platform that was leaking, there was some sort of major corporate-level freakout and they began shedding all nonessential operations/personnel. This included my relative, who was working on a project that was completely unrelated to platforms or the spill in any way.

So my guess is that they're trying to figure out what they're going to do, and that it's somewhat frantic at BP corporate.

My opinion was that the firm's being let go was sort of a blessing in disguise...it's not exactly great PR to advertise an affiliation with BP anymore.