View Single Post
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 12:33 AM       
People kill for there deities. People die for there deities. This is why religion is inherently evil.

You have to admit, that's a huge fucking jump of logic. The actions of the minority do not reflect a flaw in the system, it represents an error in human nature itself. Unless you are suggesting a godless society would be pure of violent crimes, you make no good point I would expect better from one with such a pretentious title.

Furthermore, the cases in which murder happens for reasons of faith are extremely rare, and normally are associated strictly with the occult. Take the most obvious examples. The Crusades had practically nothing to do with religion. The degree to which Urban II's proclamation "Deus vult" was manipulated out of his hands makes evident that an economic and political struggle between Europe and the Middle East was inevitable, and the arbitrary slaughter in Constantinople during the first campaign makes obvious the fact that religion was utterly a non-issue. Otherwise, the pacts between the Templars and the Hashishens would have been impossible.

The Inquisition, though quite unsavory in itself, was a sociological safety valve forged by political conservativism. This should be obvious from the fact that executions could ONLY be administered by the State, as pre-existing cannon law forbade the clergy from spilling any blood. The English Inquisition executed Joan of Arc because they were terrified of her success. The French Inquisition executed witches and Cathars because public unrest demanded scapegoats for the plague and other travesties. The Spanish Inquisition executed Jews because the nobility was sick of their economic power. The Italian Inquisition executed Bruno because his eccentricity was fraying the scientific community of its integrity. None of these death's were justified, but NONE of them happened by group one enforcing beliefs upon group two.

Your tone also spoke lowly of the willingness to die for one's beliefs. It seems obvious to me that if you're unwilling to die for what you truly care about, you are a weak and pathetic being.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT