Thread: The Word at War
View Single Post
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 12:57 PM       
I hear you on the title thing, and the "truthiness" is certainly an issue. These guys have swallowed their own Kool Aid, which is sort of funny (with the whole constitutional oath thing and stuff).

BUT, I think they raise an interesting point in this article:

Quote:
"I think we've got to back up a little bit and look at warfare," he says, telling how the conventional notion of war has changed, with insurgencies and asymmetric conflict growing more prevalent, meaning that bullets and bombs alone won't win. Information -- its strategic use -- can tip the scales. And yet this fact does not yet resonate in American culture.

"People are more comfortable with killing than they are with influencing," he says. "The majority can be convinced that the use of military force is acceptable, but everybody becomes very uncomfortable when you talk about the use of information," like "promoting your cause, promoting your ideals" and "discrediting the tactics and the arguments and the strategy of the enemy."
We are certainly in a war of ideas, and we are using them against nations that run their press and indoctrinate their children with anti-semitism, among other things.

If we truly wanted to engage these countries honestly, avoid military conflict, and be happy friends, would it be possible? Would the U.S. ever het a fair shake in this part of the world, or must we fight fire with fire....?