View Single Post
slavemason is probably a spambot
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:24 PM       
The only time I can think of nearly losing my shit while playing would have been when I played double bass with an acoustic group called Ted Tourette and the Hushpuppies. We played the usual bluegrass, country, ragtime, Irish drinking tunes, and the like.

Most of the time we just played for beer (which turned out to be the best paying gig I've ever had). Well one gig, we were going for broke and we were all pretty shitty. Someone requested "Cripple Creek" but our banjo picker didn't know it. But he quickly reminded the rest of the guys that I knew how to play it.

Well I'm not that good on banjo. I can only play two or three songs and the rest of the time I try to play blues on it because my fingers get confused. Right hand hauling ass, left hand pretty much rooted on a chord.

Needless to say that I butchered it. "Crippled Creek" never sounded so crippled. The guy who requested the song just sat there with a puzzled look on his face. The rest of the band was cracking up. We enjoyed ourselves and didn't really care what people thought. We encouraged people to adopt the way of the tourette and blurt out whatever was on the their minds. Expletives were frequent and appreciated.

Hot damn! Two gigs this weekend, with the rock band!