View Single Post
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM       
You do NOT talk about extremely specific hobby interests in public, unless it is socially acceptable, like sports, politics, etc.

A smart man who loves Star Trek and can speak fluent klingon does not admit this to normal people or correct someone's incorrect pronunciation of a klingon word in public

I am seriously into Terry Pratchett and the Dover Press. I do not admit this to normal people in public. If I did, I would not appear knowledgeable to bystanders. I would be revealing that I am a far, far bigger geek than most of the people I know even begin to expect.

Extensive knowledge of an Anime is worse than either of these potentially humiliating examples. IT IS A SHAMEFUL SECRET, LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE