View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 11:52 AM       
You know what the damnedest thing is. I just got OUT of rabies quarantine.

Seriously.

What happened was, my cat rolled in something in the garage. I had him in the bathtub trying to get it out of his fur. He bit through the meat of my palm, under my thumb. It hurt like a sonovabitch but didn't bleed, so I became worried about the need for antibiotics. It was a Friday night and nowhere was open, so I ended up going to the ER, thinking they would throw me in minor care and give me some Augmentin. Instead, they made a big deal because of their supposed "Animal Bite Protocol", threw me in Major Care, told me they thought a tooth had broken off in the wound, took X-rays, did not find a tooth, put me on IV antibiotics and told me that they would be putting me under rabies quarantine.

Know why?

Because the damn cat was scheduled for his rabies booster the following Wednesday, but I guess you can't have a shot until ten days after a "bite incident", so since he was late for his booster he and I had to be put into quarantine until a doctor had evaluated me and a health department worker had evaluated him and made sure neither of us was foaming at the mouth, lurching around and/or displaying homicidal tendencies.

I seriously got a big long notice full of dire warnings regarding any fleeing of myself or cat, and if either of us died during the quarantine the following offices were to be notified, etc etc etc, and at the end of ten days I had to go to the doctor and be checked to see if I was rabid. The health department worker drove out and looked at the cat, signed a paper, and we were released from quarantine.

All over a damned bottle of Augmentin.

So you can see why I wouldn't want to repeat the whole stupid process just because I ran over a dead bat.