Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:42 PM        Catholicism in general is paganistic, ritualistic idolotry
What's with the Vatican, full of riches?

What's with all the icons?

What's with the veneration of the saints? The veneration of Mary?

Speaking in Latin, wearing elaborate costumes, the chanting of ritual response when the priest says a certain phrase... it goes on and on.

I think Catholicism is the most ludicrous intrepretation of the message of the Bible one could come to without the use of heavy psychedelics.

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:48 PM       
We're also cannibals, so watch your back, pork chop.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:56 PM       
Who founded the Catholic Church? The Romans did, and they were big on pomp and ceremony, hence so were their religions.

Regardless, I think all religion is stupid. And gay.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 12:58 PM       
Hush your mouth monkey, this thread is for the baiting of Catholics, not other religious suckers.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:04 PM       
Sorry.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:12 PM       
What's with the Vatican, full of riches?

19 centuries give you plenty of time to accumulate stuff. For much of history, the Vatican was the only instutition in Europe with any motivation to cultivate art. Maybe this wasn't absolutely necessary, but art as we know it today wouldn't exist without the Church's sponsorship. Also we'd have little knowledge of Classical art, since the Church was the only significant body that sought to preserve ancient works. The fruits of these labors are available to everyone who wishes to see them, regardless of faith.

Oh, and despite the fact that it entertains millions of visitors every year, the Vatican's standing revenue is less than that of many universities.

What's with all the icons?

In short, why not? Despite slander to the contrary, we don't ever idolize them as anything more than just works of man, so claims of "worshipping graven images" are unfounded.

What's with the veneration of the saints? The veneration of Mary?

In a mild sense of the term, this veneration is no different than the interest a patriot has for the founding fathers, or the pride someone has for his heritage. It's not like we are allowed to worship Mary or the saints, we merely pray to them for intercessions. It's the exact same logic as asking a friend to pray for you when facing trouble.

Speaking in Latin

Latin was the most universal language. A uniform language prohibited the decay of meaning by repeated translation. The world has moved on from this. So have we.

wearing elaborate costumes

Dignity and respect of God's presence in the Eucharist.

the chanting of ritual response when the priest says a certain phrase

That's an ad hominem attack of aesthetics. There's no logic in saying that mass should be done differently every time. Every mass is the exact same celebration of God, with the exact same emphasis on the presence of Christ. Logic dictates that we should develop a working protocol, and implement it universally. That's why the very word "Catholic" means "universal", that's why mass in Germany has the exact same elements as mass in the US.

I think Catholicism is the most ludicrous intrepretation of the message of the Bible one could come to without the use of heavy psychedelics.

Nah, I think you have to admit that Latter Day Saints are worse. Besides, we wrote the New Testament, we were here first, so interpretting the message of the Bible into our protocol is our prerogative.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:31 PM       
Well argued.

Like many religious disciplines, Roman catholocism is frequently abused and many practitioners can't see past the rituals and symbols to the things they represent.

Like many religous disciplines, the abusers and the blind do not alter it's validity as a path to God.

Knowlege of God is difficult. Falling by the wayside early in the path and deciding you're in heaven is common to all religous practice.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheHerbivore
Nobody gets me.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:44 PM       
19 centuries give you plenty of time to accumulate stuff.

Not if you practice what you preach. Jesus commanded the rich to give up their riches. The Catholic Church instead accumulates wealth.

Also we'd have little knowledge of Classical art, since the Church was the only significant body that sought to preserve ancient works. The fruits of these labors are available to everyone who wishes to see them, regardless of faith.

That's wonderful, it really is. But the pupose of the Catholic Church is not to preserve art, and so again I say they are not practicing what they preach.

It's the exact same logic as asking a friend to pray for you when facing trouble.

Assuming the friend is dead, and you went to a medium to ask him to pray for you, then sure.

Besides, we wrote the New Testament, we were here first, so interpretting the message of the Bible into our protocol is our prerogative.

That's a rather arrogant statement. It seems to imply that the Catholic Church existed before someone thought to distinguish between various interpretaions of the Gospel. Certainly the Apostles wrote the New Testament, not the Catholics who came 300 years later.

So many Christian denominations claim to be the first this or that, but few do it like the Catholics. Truly the first church was not the Catholic Church, but merely many Christian churches. The very act of naming it "Universal" indicates an attempt to unify personal spiritualism under clerical dogma.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:52 PM       
Quote:
Quote:
Nobody gets me.
Transubstaniation. Even an idiot like me knows that.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 01:56 PM       
Quote:
Not if you practice what you preach. Jesus commanded the rich to give up their riches. The Catholic Church instead accumulates wealth.
Also, the Catholic Church is a world power. How many peace negociations are held in the Vatican? How many charitable acts go through there. Its kind of hard entertaining the crowd that attracts (presidents, kings, prime ministers etc) in a one room shack next to a sewer.

Quote:
That's wonderful, it really is. But the pupose of the Catholic Church is not to preserve art, and so again I say they are not practicing what they preach.
I think Miss Mod would have an issue with that. The art they are preserving helps to educate people to the past, inculding the life and times of Christ.
[/quote]
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:01 PM       
Its kind of hard entertaining the crowd that attracts (presidents, kings, prime ministers etc) in a one room shack next to a sewer.

Where did Jesus command Peter to entertain kings?
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:08 PM       
When you want to hold a peace conference, it helps to invite the leaders of the countries at war. You may not know this, but Jesus was a big advocate of peace.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:11 PM       
So was Ghandi, yet he no palaces, and he spoke with many world leaders.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 02:32 PM       
And how many wars did he stop? How much in charity was he responsible for?

Not to belittle Ghandi. He was an important figure of strength, but you can't compare the two.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 03:44 PM       
Largely catholicism is the result of the Christian Cult merging with Mithraism. Ingenius really.

Not much to discuss though.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Transubstaniation. Even an idiot like me knows that.
Now now Blanco, before I buy you a box of tissues, you should probably re-read the other thread.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:29 PM       
I like the kind with tha alhoe.

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 04:39 PM       
Quote:
In fact, many of the things that they do are in direct violation of the Bible. How quaint.

I find it quaint that other denominations claim we misuse the Bible, when it's painfully obvious that the New Testament was written and compiled by the Roman Catholic Church itself. Funny how fundamentalists conveniently ignore that fact.
Hmmm, where to start. Oh, yes.

The New Testament essentially abolishes the need for priests. It states that no man should know your personal situations; only God has any business knowing what your sins are.

This also precludes the ludicrous notion that you need to pray to Mary to deliver your message to Jesus, and THEN God finally gets it. Nevermind that many Catholics see Mary as an object of worship, something expressly forbidden. Idolotry.

Christening babies is a horrific practice, as well. The Bible states that baptism should only be performed on an individual that is of the mature understanding of what he is doing. Catholics have this notion of children being damned if they are not baptised. Babies have no perception of what is being done, and so baptising them at that age is ridiculous.

There is more, certainly, but I have to leave for a movie right now. I will return later.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 05:19 PM       
Quote:
The New Testament essentially abolishes the need for priests. It states that no man should know your personal situations; only God has any business knowing what your sins are.
Actually, it expands the role of priests in the community.

Quote:
This also precludes the ludicrous notion that you need to pray to Mary to deliver your message to Jesus, and THEN God finally gets it. Nevermind that many Catholics see Mary as an object of worship, something expressly forbidden. Idolotry.
She is not an object of worship. she is a person we hold in high esteem. We treat her like the USA treats Washington, Lincoln etc. Not as a diety herself, but as a human who pulled off an extrodinary fete.

Quote:
Christening babies is a horrific practice, as well.
No more than birth or a flu shot.

Quote:
The Bible states that baptism should only be performed on an individual that is of the mature understanding of what he is doing.
Which is the reason for godparents and for the Sacrement of Confirmation.

Quote:
Catholics have this notion of children being damned if they are not baptised. Babies have no perception of what is being done, and so baptising them at that age is ridiculous.
Its a practice from the Middle Ages when there was sky high infant mortality rate. And really, do kids have any concept of half the shit we put them through?

Quote:
There is more, certainly, but I have to leave for a movie right now. I will return later.
Its not Left Behind by any chance, is it?

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:37 PM       
Quote:
I should have more clear on that issue. I meant regarding confessions. I apologize.

Quote:
She is not an object of worship. she is a person we hold in high esteem. We treat her like the USA treats Washington, Lincoln etc. Not as a diety herself, but as a human who pulled off an extrodinary fete.
You would think that a person of such "high esteem" would be mentioned more than say 5 or 6 times throughout the entire Bible. Explain to me then why so many Catholics pray to her? She is thought of my many Catholics as an intermediary between humans and God. An idol.

Quote:
You miss the point. The baptism should not be done in the first place until they fully understand its implications FOR THEMSELVES. Not for some godparent to decide for them.

Quote:
Its a practice from the Middle Ages when there was sky high infant mortality rate. And really, do kids have any concept of half the shit we put them through?
Yes, and the Middle Ages were also referred to, in part, as the Dark Ages. It seems that many of Catholicism's rituals seem to come out of that period.

Quote:
Its not Left Behind by any chance, is it?
Cute. I do not subscribe to what the Left Behind movies and books teach. I went to see Terminator 3 for a second time, if that is any consolation to you.

What is also amusing are the myriad of Catholic churchs, cathedrals, etc across Europe that claim to have artifacts in the form of bone material (fingers, thighs, etc.) from the apostles. They venerate them like some pagan shaman as if they can grant the power of God through them. Given the number of bones claimed, there must have been over 10,000 apostles and not 12. Right.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:38 PM       

Nowhere in the Gospels does Jesus talk about a need for priests.

[Mary] is not an object of worship. she is a person we hold in high esteem. We treat her like the USA treats Washington, Lincoln etc. Not as a diety herself, but as a human who pulled off an extrodinary fete.

Presuming we went to mediums to ask Washington, Lincoln, etc. thier opinions on current political policy, this would be a fair comparison.

Quote:
Quote:
The Bible states that baptism should only be performed on an individual that is of the mature understanding of what he is doing.
That is a rediculous response. How do godparents give a baby a mature understanding of its decision to be baptised? Surely you were joking.

This is so beside the point as to be confirming my belief that your response is facetious. The point you are dodging is that a child makes no decision to be baptised, and as such, the ritual thru which Christians are redeemed is turned into a pointless baby-washing.

I mean, hell, if one can be baptised without thier consent, why don't we see an active wing of the Church running around baptising people commando-style so that the work of the Chruch (saving souls) can be even more successful!
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:01 PM       
Quote:
I should have more clear on that issue. I meant regarding confessions. I apologize.
When Jesus said, "Any sins you forgive are forgiven, whatever you hold bound are held bound" (I don't have my Bible on me so I will clean that up later), He didn't say it to the crowds. He said it to the Apostles. Thats where our ideas about confession come from.

Quote:
Explain to me then why so many Catholics pray to her?
Why do Klan members claim the Constitution gives them the right to hang black people? They are misenterpeting it.

A lot of that is cultural, also. When Christianity was brought to the New World, a lot of the native people thought the saints were meant to be worshiped. Thats where the practice of "worshipping the saints" came from. The Church doesn't condone it at all.

Quote:
You miss the point. The baptism should not be done in the first place until they fully understand its implications FOR THEMSELVES. Not for some godparent to decide for them.
It is a Sacrament of Inititiation. The other part of it is to start the child on their way towards a Catholic life.

Quote:
Yes, and the Middle Ages were also referred to, in part, as the Dark Ages. It seems that many of Catholicism's rituals seem to come out of that period.
And the majority have very logical beginings and reasons.

Quote:
What is also amusing are the myriad of Catholic churchs, cathedrals, etc across Europe that claim to have artifacts in the form of bone material (fingers, thighs, etc.) from the apostles. They venerate them like some pagan shaman as if they can grant the power of God through them. Given the number of bones claimed, there must have been over 10,000 apostles and not 12. Right.
Thats not against the Church. Your gripe is against the certain individual churches that did this 500 years ago. The Vatican sometimes goes into this, but it is so widespread and so trivial that there is no real reason other than to placate people who will dig up any excuse to bash the RCC.

Quote:
Nowhere in the Gospels does Jesus talk about a need for priests.
Other than responding to the term "rabbi". The word "priest" is not recorded, but His actions clearly show that He saw the need for a group of religious scholars and community leaders.

Quote:
Presuming we went to mediums to ask Washington, Lincoln, etc. thier opinions on current political policy, this would be a fair comparison.
People actually do that.

But, the RCC does not tell people to worship saints. Only to look up to them. They are humans that did follow Christ's teachings and show us it can be done.

Quote:
I mean, hell, if one can be baptised without thier consent, why don't we see an active wing of the Church running around baptising people commando-style so that the work of the Chruch (saving souls) can be even more successful!
Because in our society, parents speak for the child. Is it really that difficult to get through your skull?

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:11 PM       
Not a good idea to bait Catholics on the internet. This may suprise you, but when both atheists and fundies give you shit, you gotta know how to duke it out.
Mocker
Old Jul 3rd, 2003, 08:23 PM       
No parent can speak for a child's soul. It seems rather difficult to get that thru your skull, but then, presumably, you have been taught this from a very early age (another way of saying this is indoctrinated, but that has ugly connotations).

It just seems rediculous, unless you believe that entire households are saved by the baptism of the head of the household, which wouldn't be so odd in a Romanic tradition, but the Christian tradition should be based on the Bible, and not on the practices of the old men who used to have the only copies of it.

Jesus said, "No man may come to the father, but by ME." He did not say anything about the intercession of any body of clergy. Especially not some group of old men that credit the existence of their vocations to when Jesus called Peter a rock.

edit: To Vince, Please, by all means, BRING IT. If you have ANYTHING to say that is not just parroting something your priest has told you. IF you have a single, independant thought in your head regarding the Chruch, I'd love to hear it.