Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 03:29 PM        Society et al.
Jon, a buddy from work, and I were talking last night, and he brought up something that made me think, seriously, for the first time in a couple months. I figured I'd share and see if any of you could help me out.

One and Only, stop reading here.

Alright, to use an analogy, consider the early attempts at aviation. Before the underlying laws of physics were understood, or rather, while they were understood imperefectly, the first heavier-than-air designs were essentially flawed. They were designed after observable successes in nature. Before the relation of lift and push came to light, they tried emulating birds, producing flapping wing mounts et cetera. . .A few attempts, by those with absolute faith, were tested off of high cliffs, and as their momentum carried them, the designers believed they were successful -Until they started to fall at which point they started pumping harder, and falling faster, eventually driving themselves into the ground.

Well we all know there basic tenets governmental infrastructures need to abide by in order to function properly and meet the needs of their constituates, or else they fail. Some societies, like those of the aboriginees, have functioned for thousands of years, and while we would not they say they flourished, on a small scale the system is very strong. Yet we, like Rome,, despite our advancements in the sciences and technological implimentation, seem to be like the aviator driving ourselves into the ground. . .

So the question; What, in your opinions, are the necessary requirements for a society or governmental system, to be ultimately successful?

He and I have made some progress, but from the multiplicity of opinions we hope to get a little further, though this is really just a, well, sociological exercise. I'm sure he isn't the first to consider this problem, nor I to be intrigued by the possibilities, but I've never come across anything of this nature and am rather excited by the line of thinking. Any contributions would be much appreciated.

Thanks and my apologies for being so long winded.