Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:10 PM        AN HUMBLE APPRECIATION THREAD
It has occured to me that anyone reading my posts in this forum might come to the conclusion I am arrogant.

This is almost certainly because I am.

But first and foremost I concider myself a comedy writer. You may or may not find me funny, humor being subjective, but while I have strong opinions I generally communicate through comedy.

My point?

The Apportioner recently posted a thread asking if anyone had ever had their opinion changed as a result of this board. I didn't respond for two reasons. I'm stubborn by nature (almost as stubborn as, say, Naldo) and I didn't want to admit that my mind has not been significantly changed by anything here. That seemed, well, arrogant.

However. I have learned a great deal. In reading my posts, that may not be evident, and because of my writing style I may come across as thinking I am the best informed, most intelligent member here.

Let this thread serve as a diclaimer (and I made it this long already so you wouldn't get this far.) There are several people on this board who are better informed, smarter than I or both and consequently their opinions should carry more weight. This is hrdly to say I always agree with them or that you should, only that they should be taken at very least as seriously as you take me. This field widens when you include people better versed than I in speciffic fields, and people less given to hyperbole.

The Aportioner is smarter and better informed, and tends to employ reason to a degree I often sacrafice in favor of rhetorical goals or laughs.

Kev and Rorshach are both better informed than I am, and Rorshach is FAR better read than I.

Punkgirlies knowledge of law and precedent leave mine in the dust, Abbcdxs historical/political knowledge of Zionism and the Middle east supasses mine by miles and GA, Kelly and any other former or current servicemen have far more right to weigh in on the military then I ever will.

I also think Eye-tie deserves a great deal of credit for shouldering what is here a minority point of view and generally doing so with grace and good humor.

Proto, Sspad, Chojin and Chimp provide an unparraled level of gayness without which our board would be far less gay.

Very special thanks to Naldo and Vince, because honestly this forum wouldn't be that funny without you. Seriously. Without Ed Mcmann, no Johnny.

Anyone I've snubbed by not mentioning please know that it's because my typing fingers are tired and I couldn't remember you.