Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 01:56 PM        Liberalism=Totalitarianism?
Quote:
He has a Constitutional right now only to possess an opinion, but to share it. Would you infringe upon his personal rights simply because you find them undesirable? If so, I would much appreciate you creating a seperate thread so we can discuss the tendancy of liberal philosophy to veer towards totalitarianism.
Alright, I'll start a thread on this.
As I said in my reply on the original thread, there aren't any situations where a liberal governement or regime became totalitarian. If you look at the three big examples, Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union and Communist China, you will not see succesful liberal philosophies at work in these nations before or during their transformations to totalitarianism.
The situations in these three examples before turning to totalitarianism were all extremely bad. Germany had massive inflation, unemployment, and was under the boot of foreign European powers, paticularly France.
Russia, before Communism was under the corrupt and authoritarian rule of the Czars. There was a huge gap between rich and poor, and the lower class still had few rights. To make matters worse, the war with Germany was going very badly, making food and supplies scarce.
China had a similar situation as Russia, with a vast gap between the rural peasants and their feudal-esque landowners. To top it all off, the Japanese were waging a brutal war against the Chinese people, committing terrible atrocities and making life pretty bad for the Chinese.

In all these examples, small groups of well organized, strong willed people rose up and offered the people a solution to their problems... the Communist parties of Russia and China lead by Lenin and Mao, the Nazi party under Hitler all offered an easy way out of misery, and so the people supported them. After these individuals consolidated their power, they sought to preserve it through the evil system of totalitarianism.