Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 01:09 PM        Holding severed head in place, he defied death
Quote:
AGRA: A 28-year-old carrier van driver's head nearly got chopped off in a road accident. Weeks later he is alive, thanks to sheer grit.

His head almost severed, blood oozing and eyes popping out, Balram was in a dazed state when the accident took place on July 5 in Fatehabad in Uttar Pradesh.

He, however, kept his head attached to his body with some cloth. When no one came to help him, he drove his own vehicle for 30 km to reach a nursing home in Agra.

Doctors there found the head partly joined with the spinal column -- something that saved his life.

D.V. Sharma, who runs the nursing home, said it was Balram's supreme confidence and presence of mind that must have made him drive without any loss of time.

"Had there been some delay, death was a certainty."

"Imagine someone walking into the nursing home with his head almost cut off from the neck. The very thought gives shivers," said an attendant who first saw Balram at the nursing home.

On Sunday evening, a felicitation function was organised by Agra's clubs and some NGOs for Balram.

People who donated blood for him were also praised at the function in the hospital, which incidentally refused to take money for his treatment.

Recalling the accident, a family member said: "Balram was returning from Arnauta in Bah tehsil (sub-district) with 10 quintals of wheat in his van. When he was passing through the main market in Fatehabad, a tractor trolley carrying iron rods and pipes ahead of him suddenly applied the breaks.

"Balram could not stop in time and banged into the trolley. The iron rods pierced through his neck. His head fell on one side, attached precariously to the spinal cord.

"He was fully conscious and all his organs were in command. Promptly, Balram straightened his head and tied a 'safi' (a thin cloth towel) around it and rushed towards Agra. Whoever saw the scene couldn't believe his eyes. The crowd that assembled around did nothing.

"When Balram tried to speak, blood oozed from his mouth.

"Soaked in blood and in a totally shattered state, even his co-worker collapsed unconscious. But Balram did not lose heart. He kick-started the van and went to a nearby doctor who advised him to immediately rush to Agra. The first nursing home on the way refused him admission as he was in a critical state.

"Then around 7.30 p.m., he reached D.V. Sharma's bone clinic. He fell unconscious. Sharma immediately got his team together as both his pulse and breathing rhythms had come under strain."

It took nearly three-and-a-half hours for doctors to complete the operation. Papers on the van helped them trace his family members.

A life was saved. On Sunday, Balram was fit and ready to return. He is still having trouble speaking, but doctors said a minor operation later would restore his voice.
http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems...States&rLink=0

Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 01:23 PM       
Wow. That is simply incredible. Does that guy have balls or what?
Rating: Yes.
Spectre X is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 01:42 PM       
Holy SHIT!!!

Anti-Xocial is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 01:44 PM       
And I thought I was brave when I managed to limp my way into the emergency room when I scolded myself skinless with boiling water!

Talk about not losing your head in a moment of utter panic *coughthatwasstoopidcough*.....Amazing story!
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 02:25 PM       
Didn't St. Denis carry his disembodied head half a mile from the place where he was decapitated to Montmartre? Or am I thinking of something else?

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT

Location: one shot, right between the eyes, just for old times sake
Bennett is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 02:39 PM       
'member in that movie "Death Becomes Her" when like either Meryl Streep or Goldie Hawn got her head chopped off...

yeah, it was kinda like that.

what a great film
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Jul 24th, 2003, 10:43 PM       
She didn't get her head chopped off, she got her neck broken so she could stretch it out and twist it around and stuff. I thought the movie was retarded, but then I'm kind of an anti-fan of Meryl Streep.

Anyway..yeah, the guy's sure got balls. In that situation I would have crossed my fingers and hoped to lose consciousness from shock so I could die sooner.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:08 PM       
Chances are that the guy never felt a thing due to shock. The article says that he was completely dazed.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 12:27 PM       
I always figured consciousness = pain, even if you are dazed. After all, he was lucid enough to drive.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 09:25 PM       
I will stand straight long after life has fled my scorched body. Flames will devour my flesh but not my determination!
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:40 PM       
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

Mungus the Foon is probably a spambot
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:10 AM       
good job he had that bit of cloth to tie his head back on.
if he hadn't imagine trying to change gears!
always remember to bring a towel