Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM        ISPs VS MPAA / Internet as a goverment service
http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/geekonomi...196&scid=hm_bl

So, the MPAA is tooling around the world, telling ISPs to cut off their customers for getting movies and television shows illegally. Most are conceding, one in Norway isn't, and that's what the article's supposed to be about.

But I thought this was more interesting:
Quote:
In fact, a new Bill proposed by a member of the European Parliament, was recently voted in by the parliament to not adopt measures that would infringe upon civil liberties and human rights, interruption of internet access included as it would have "profound reprecussions" in some places where internet access is "a mandatory law for social inclusion".

Just like how you can make the postal service responsible for an illegal mail sent through their system?
So, if the internet is going to be given the same rights as privileges as the postal system, wouldn't that mean that the government has to step in at some point and offer internet access themselves? And what repercussions would THAT have in terms of internet illegality (for example, it being illegal to tamper with someone's physical mail equates to what in on the internet? And isn't it illegal to mail threats of bodily harm? Isn't that what the internet is ABOUT?)?
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:32 AM       
I doubt any form of government would be in any hurry to offer internet access like that. It kind of makes sense when they treat it like that though.

Also, fuck the MPAA. Who are they to demand ISPs cut off their customers? This reminded me to turn on peerguardian more often though

That was very funny. Well done.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:35 AM       
Well, I'm pretty sure I know what Anthony Comstock would have to say about all this. If only we had a government body that existed to read everyone's email in case something interesting gets said, 'cuz then we'd know if something interesting had been said.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 09:06 AM       
People really need to stop being so stupid about the internet and start appreciating it's not something which can be policed in any reasonable way.
The only way I can see them being able to apply laws universally across the Internet is if they come up with an international agreement whereby all countries must agree on a set of rules which they will all enforce... which would never happen.

Another example of stupidity on the 'net is how France have just introduced new laws making it illegal to run pro-anorexia websites (who knew they even existed). The first problem with this which is immediately apparent is that probably only a tiny, insignificant fraction of such sites are hosted in France, so what are they going to do? Put up great firewall of China to block them all? Good luck with that.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:47 PM       
Doesn't China already have pretty strict control over internet access?

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 12:56 PM       
It's not something that can be policed, but it is something that can be used against you if the D.A. doesn't like you.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:08 PM       
Sounds like there's a story to go with that comment.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:02 PM       
Not yet :wink wink