Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Virgin
Kung Fu Man is probably a spambot
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM        Started work on an Abobo's Big Adventure wikipedia article...
And there are some things I'm curious about that could use some clarification. Would just email a question directly but unfortunately can't cite what I can't link to.

And yeah, I'm well aware this may go utterly nowhere, but what the hell it's worth a shot. So basically here's what I'm curious to know:
*The arcade cabinet shows the game supporting two players in youtube videos, but the finished product is single player outside of the 'fighting game' mode. Was this always intended to be exclusive to the arcade cabinet or was two-player planned at some point? And if so, why was it cut?

*Speaking of the arcade cabinet, has it been retired completely at this point?

*One problem I ran into was the fact that while I could find names for two of the programmers, Pox's last name isn't as easy to find. Unfortunately I doubt I canreally get away with calling him just Pox after referring to another person by their nickname earlier in the article (Bane).

*How different was the version made with Bane from the completed title?

That's really all I need to know for the article. I've started it and it's a slow start, but there's plenty of reception to work with so I believe I should be able to pull something meaty together. If this doesn't go anywhere well that's where the dice fall, but it you want to see how it proceeds just look the article up on wikipedia. (Silly forum link issues...)
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 14th, 2012, 09:44 PM       
DID SOMEBODY SAY "MEATY"
Forum Virgin
ReBirFh is probably a spambot
Old Jan 15th, 2012, 06:00 PM       
Spoilers!
can be played with two players if you input
Spoilers!

Last edited by ReBirFh : Jan 15th, 2012 at 06:51 PM.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 12:10 AM       
Our last brush with wikipedia involved some buttfrustrated aspie thinking an article about "weapons in halo 2" was notable enough for its own page, but not this site as a whole. I'm not entirely convinced their crack editorial staff will look upon one thing that site did any more kindly.

anyway, here's some answers to your questions from a guy who had nothing at all to do with the project:

Quote:
was two-player planned at some point? And if so, why was it cut?
The two-player mode was eventually cut because Roger noticed that most often two males would play together, and he famously opposes same-sex relationships (as evidenced by his 1989 publication "Steers and Queers" for his high school newspaper). Abobo's rippling abs were already pushing the boundaries of his tolerance (or lack thereof), and the two-player mode was eventually removed to quell his many emotional outbursts at public events.

Quote:
Pox's last name isn't as easy to find.
Pox's full name is Poxonimous Esuohlim III. He posts on this forum as "Rongi."

Quote:
How different was the version made with Bane from the completed title?
This version was online and 3D and involved an entirely different cast of characters. The rights were sold in March of 2009 to Chris Cao and the assets (largely unchanged) were used to create what is known today as "DC Universe Online."
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 05:32 AM       
Aside from Chojin being a filthy, dirty liar with every breath he can muster, Wikipedia would probably let this one slide now because once something has enough notoriety and sources, it's usually no longer a problem. Given that virtually every site in existence has covered Abobo's Big Adventure in some shape or form over the past week, he'll be able to make an article with plenty of reference links.

Now to answer your questions for real:

Quote:
*The arcade cabinet shows the game supporting two players in youtube videos, but the finished product is single player outside of the 'fighting game' mode. Was this always intended to be exclusive to the arcade cabinet or was two-player planned at some point? And if so, why was it cut?
One level in the game has a hidden two-player mode. Also, if you beat the game, you unlock an alpha build of a two-player "Abobattle" mode that was never completed but is still playable.

Quote:
*Speaking of the arcade cabinet, has it been retired completely at this point?
No, definitely not.

Quote:
*One problem I ran into was the fact that while I could find names for two of the programmers, Pox's last name isn't as easy to find. Unfortunately I doubt I canreally get away with calling him just Pox after referring to another person by their nickname earlier in the article (Bane).
Pox goes by the name Pox. That's what he prefers. Bane was the same, and he didn't have anything to do with the Abobo game that was released. He an I just worked on the original version back in 2002, and I didn't like how the demo was turning out, because a lot of his code made the game stray too far from a genuine NES feeling.

Quote:
*How different was the version made with Bane from the completed title?
Extremely. The only real similarity is that you got to play as Abobo and I had planned to have him fight his way through various NES worlds, but it just wasn't working out the way I wanted.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 09:05 AM       
Nice try, but there are absolutely no college textbooks or old-timey country newspapers that reference your game, and therefore it is not notable in the eyes of Wikipedia (the only online encyclopedia that hates the internet as much as the amish).
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM       
did wikipedianot accept your videogame or something

you sound mad
was never good
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM       
what is your deal bro
Forum Virgin
Kung Fu Man is probably a spambot
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 08:14 PM       
Alright, a few followup questions:

*If the cabinet isn't retired, what are your future plans regarding it?

*The page on i-mockery mentions a downloadable version "coming soon". Is this still in the works?

*Other than motivation, did you experience any other pitfalls during development that set you back?

The only other thing to bring up is that I'd like to make use of the photos of the cabinet and your team as copyright-free pictures in the article, under the Creative Commons license, granted you're credited for the photos. Would this be okay?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jan 16th, 2012, 11:25 PM       
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Wickethewok

This guy is a huge homo. I notice that he has exhaustively sourced his article on Sasha (DJ) since we pointed out his shittiness all those years ago.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 03:29 AM       
No problem, here ya go:

Quote:
*If the cabinet isn't retired, what are your future plans regarding it?
We will continue to bring it to conventions like the San Diego Comic-Con and game gatherings so people can play it for free on a real arcade cabinet. We love seeing people play the game in person, watching their faces light up when something crazy happens in the game 'n what have you.

Quote:
*The page on i-mockery mentions a downloadable version "coming soon". Is this still in the works?
We always release free downloadable versions of our games, but we delay that version so we can spend a few weeks debugging the game as much as possible. One of the great things about releasing it as a web-only version at first, is we can get a lot of feedback from people about the game and they let us know of any bugs they encounter. Once the game is up for download, those people aren't likely going to check back in to see if we've released an updated version with certain bug fixes.

So long story short; we hold off on releasing the downloadable version so it can be as bug free as possible. We plan on having that version ready within a few weeks and it will be completely free as well. We'll probably add fullscreen capability to that version too since it's been requested a lot.

Quote:
*Other than motivation, did you experience any other pitfalls during development that set you back?
Well all of us have had jobs and other things taking up our time, including us having developed many other online games over the years... so I guess our need to constantly be creating other stuff set us back at times haha. Still, I think without working on other projects simultaneously, we would've gotten burnt out on the huge Abobo project. Plus, with some of the other successful games we released before Abobo, it helped us build up a fanbase that came to expect a certain type of comedic game from us over the years.

But yeah, there were still times when we'd laugh and think, "You know, we could be using this time to make a game we could sell instead of just doing a parody game for free." But what can I tell ya... it was a labor of love and this game needed to exist as far as we were concerned.

Quote:
The only other thing to bring up is that I'd like to make use of the photos of the cabinet and your team as copyright-free pictures in the article, under the Creative Commons license, granted you're credited for the photos. Would this be okay?
You're more than welcome to use the photo of the arcade cabinet or any other graphics we created (such as the entire custom Abobo web site we designed), but I'd prefer not to have our team image in there since Abobo is the star of the game, not us.

Thanks again for working on that article and lemme know if you have any additional questions.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 09:14 AM       
This guy is askin too much information. I bet he's a spy working for cogswell cogs.

:o Oh wow, he actually does. Under misc stuff.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 09:17 AM       

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogswell
The Working Man's Barnstar
I present you this working man's barnstar in recognition
and appreciation to your tireless efforts in the cleanup
of List of weapons in Halo 2 Note: Content has since been merged to Halo 2
Oni Ookami AlfadorTalk
Its like a Zug service star.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM       
What the fuck is wrong with these people? I seriously don't fucking get how they can go on being so incredibly pathetic without having even a clue.

That was very funny. Well done.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 03:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
what is your deal bro
thats kinda what i was asking you
was never good
Old Jan 17th, 2012, 04:40 PM       
not fair i asked first