Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 07:20 PM       
They have research going on that "Detects" who will be a serial killer and shit. I forget if it was just as simple as detection of sociopaths or if it was more complex, but if i remember correctly it may have had something to do with the genes and shit.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:07 PM       
Genes alone won't answer the question. If you go with that, you'll have a scenario just as ludicrous as the plot to Minority Report:

"Hey Phil, this guy's got the killer gene! He could grow up to kill someone! THROW HIM IN THE SLAMMER!"

You're leaving out some crucial environmental causals, such as "Mommy Didn't Hug Me Enough".
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:37 PM       
First off, Minority Report didn't have anything to do with Genes, minority report was the movie with the crackbabies who could see the future.
Secondly, believe it or not, not all science is going to remain the same forever. I read this in an article somewhere, and I'm pretty sure it had to do with certain genes that were likely to make people more physically aggressive.
Not everybody in a "Mommy didn't hug me enough" situation will grow up and be a Serial Killer.
That was the point of it. Detect who has the genes that could make them capable of it, then make sure they get alot of hugs.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
First off, Minority Report didn't have anything to do with Genes, minority report was the movie with the crackbabies who could see the future.
I didn't say "a plot EXACTLY like Minority Report, I said a situation that is just as ludicrous. This is a physical way of paraphrasing. The paraphrase comes into effect bascially because whether through genes or psychic albinoes, you're determining guilt before anything has even physically happened.

Quote:
Secondly, believe it or not, not all science is going to remain the same forever.
Agreed, but it'll take quite some time for people to accept it.

Quote:
I read this in an article somewhere, and I'm pretty sure it had to do with certain genes that were likely to make people more physically aggressive.
Having testosterone also predisposes someone to being aggressive. I don't mean having testosterone at all, but large amounts of it. One of the symptoms of steroid abuse (which the key ingredient is...you guessed it, testosterone) is shortened temper. Most passion killings also result from shortened temper. But then again, walking in on your wife having sex with another man would shorten your fuse significantly, I'd think.

Quote:
Not everybody in a "Mommy didn't hug me enough" situation will grow up and be a Serial Killer.
Just as everyone who has the Serial Killer Gene won't necessarily become a serial killer. I'd assume the best way to assuage that is the bring the child up with strong morals.

Quote:
That was the point of it. Detect who has the genes that could make them capable of it, then make sure they get alot of hugs.
Yea, I agree with that part.
BANNED

Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:10 PM       
You know, I forgot to mention an important factor inourlittle discussion here.

On premise of God's Omniscient nature, and how it could effect our freewill.
You see.
Omniscience is not a state of knowing the future.
It's a state of knowing all possible futures that could arise from ALL possible decisions made by all possible people. It's also knowing every single bit of knowledge out there..
COntrary to popular belief, knowledge includes the truth AND the lies, so it is truly an infinite amount of knowledge.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 09:27 PM       
Yeah but god is a fag.
BANNED

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 12:06 AM       
That's why I always save my lucky cigarettes...
Mocker
Spooky is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 07:25 AM       
THIS THREAD GAVE ME A HEADACHE

Seriously, though, I think there is a predetermined fate for everyone, but like they said in The Matrix and crap, it only takes you so far, and the rest is up to you, your decisions, and your free will.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 01:31 PM       
Your post was stupid in so many ways it's not even funny.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 02:28 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn
Omniscience is not a state of knowing the future.
It's a state of knowing all possible futures that could arise from ALL possible decisions made by all possible people. It's also knowing every single bit of knowledge out there..
COntrary to popular belief, knowledge includes the truth AND the lies, so it is truly an infinite amount of knowledge.
That reminded me of "this":

Quote:
All is Truth By Walt Whitman (1819–1892)

O ME, man of slack faith so long,
Standing aloof—denying portions so long;
Only aware to-day of compact, all-diffused truth;
Discovering to-day there is no lie, or form of lie, and can be none, but grows as inevitably upon itself as the truth does upon itself,
Or as any law of the earth, or any natural production of the earth does.

(This is curious, and may not be realized immediately—But it must be realized;
I feel in myself that I represent falsehoods equally with the rest,
And that the universe does.)

Where has fail’d a perfect return, indifferent of lies or the truth?
Is it upon the ground, or in water or fire? or in the spirit of man? or in the meat and blood?

Meditating among liars, and retreating sternly into myself, I see that there are really no liars or lies after all,
And nothing fails its perfect return—And that what are called lies are perfect returns,
And that each thing exactly represents itself, and what has preceded it,
And that the truth includes all, and is compact, just as much as space is compact,
And that there is no law or vacuum in the amount of the truth—but that all is truth without exception;
And henceforth I will go celebrate anything I see or am,
And sing and laugh, and deny nothing.

Wherever you go, there you are.
BANNED

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 10:10 PM       
He Jankied my philisophical composition.

"A trickery, a vast dilusional paradox. If everything is then how is nothing not everything? Nothingness consumes similarly to existance: existing for nothing. Conceptually infinite, truly? A single moment becomes the truth even as a fallacy, how can the dilusioned be dilusioned? A dilusion of ilusion real to the eyes of the deluded. So it is, so it will be. So it is nothing. Allow not for not, paradox again. Inspired by something unseen. Divinity from within. Collapsing to rebuild. Strive to be purity, greed is manifest. Deceifer what visions are had. A lie, a truth and a fact: False is just as true. Just as decrepid as another. All are nothing. For when everything is nothing and nothing is everything, truly the truth is spoken. Truth is a lie, false is real when truth is unseen while lies influence reality, always. Similar to the components of self.
From the skies comes only lies and deceit, to structure a part of the sky is to perish a disease within. Concubines unite borne again. Split in two is the unity more whole? When it's billions the clouds become clouds and the rain becomes rain, but the acid is still united. Unity is Insanity. Difference and war; bitter feelings of a deraved. Lies? Then why produce what lies within. Purpose is the sake to be had, words of thought, such irony when words merely destroy what thought we have. A production produced for nothing, producing without purpose. Here then we are. A process of disease perishing within the skies. Color it blank. I feel the skies should think the same, but then paradox. Wondering such is why perile is manifest. If skies were to be my art then only perile would manifest. Decisions of poor report only mean, but I approach the skies in a fury. For as spoken, the fortunate disease corrupts thankfully from within. Sheepish skies uniting, sheepish skies sheparding. The skies are on fire, consumed by my taste. Flavored tasteless."

JANKIED
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 12:20 PM       
I just thought I'd bring this back up because a few days ago I finished reading The Illusion of Conscious Will. What I got out of it is that the notion of free will is so asinine that no self-respecting psychological theory will embrace it. woo.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
BANNED

Old Oct 10th, 2003, 07:35 PM       
I agree.

Freewill is based on too many free variables to be any particular thing.

But then, freewill becomes the definition of variables.

It's intristic.