Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 08:29 PM       
Oh. Well, anyway...

I'm not defending this guy because I think he should win the award. I just think that he's making a point. Aren't the various classifications regarding ethnicity getting a little out of date? Shouldn't we just call ourselves what we want?

Personally, I think the best way to bring minorities out of the gutter is to increase funding for education to the poor. I don't believe that their higher poverty rates are the product of rascism - it has more to do with a lack of any decent education and a bad environment.

That may sound out of place for me. But don't worry, I still favor a negative income tax (or vouchers, but I prefer the former) for the poor rather than governmentally run schools. The real question is what we can do with the money we save. Hell, we could put it all back into education if we wanted - I suspect that if we limited government funding of college tuition for the top 10-15% (top of what to be determined; perhaps SAT scores), we would still have money left over. Hell; we might even be able to fund more than that, considering that we spend around $8,000 per pupil compared to roughly $5,000 per pupil in private schools.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 02:11 AM       
Being a minority doesn't automatically put you in the gutter. It doesn't even prohibit you from gaining a proper education. Many minorities recieve assistance from their country of origin, or might have already recieved superior educations before moving here. Poverty isn't a learning dissability. Bad teachers are the only sure things that prohibit a good education.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:25 AM       
Incase you haven't already figured it out, I am black.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:11 PM       
Yeah right.

Quote:
You have a very narrow view of what constitutes America. If I'm not mistaken, Canada is considered a part of (suprise!) North America.
Cosmo was making a joke, you 'tard.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:17 PM       
at least YOU got it Chimp...that's was I was aiming for.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
You have a very narrow view of what constitutes America. If I'm not mistaken, Canada is considered a part of (suprise!) North America.
Correcting someone making an obvious joke makes you look even more retarded. Just an FYI. ... Stupid fuck.
Resident Chimp
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:25 PM       
i will let you down
george is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty okgeorge is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:43 PM       
my boss took gret delight in reading this aricle to me and my coworker.

he was rightously pissed off, and horrified about how these kids were being mistreated.

i asked "you understand how offensiv it is that they have a SOUTH AFRICAN nominated for this award with SOUTH AFRICA having been the last hold out for sepratisim, and how offensive that is?"

"yeah, well fuck them. look how fucked up south africa is since they let the ******s take over."

it is all just so stupid. martin luther king is one oof the few heros i have, just cause all he ever wanted was for us all to treat each man and woman with dignity and respect.

apparently that just cant be done.
doctorboogie fanclub member #1
@jorgedomingo on twitter.
Slim Goodbody
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 03:32 PM       
It cannot be done because everyone thinks that Dr. King was talking about equality, not unity. If you ask any black american about what Dr. King was pushing for, they would reply that he was pushing for equal rights, which is just not true. Society misread his message, and now we are equal, but not together.
Now the black community feels it is their duty to take revenge upon the white people of america and make today's citazens pay for the evils of their ancestors. Doing it while believing that men like Dr. Martin Luthor King was aiming for, not equality, but supremacy. His daughter spoke at UW the other day, and all that came out of her mouth was messages about love and unity. But nobody listens now, they just want equality. To be more equal than the other guy.

We belong together as a joint community. All that is coming out of this power struggle is a waste of money and alot of extra anger.
Mocker
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:09 PM       
Isn't that much closer to Malcolm X than King? The desire of supremacy, as you put it.
Slim Goodbody
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:23 PM       
Please fully read my posts before you comment on them. I stated how Dr. King was striving for unity, but todays black community sees it as being equal. Equal by being put at the king's table wether they have earned it or not.
You simply read "...blah blah blah that men like Dr. Martin Luthor King was aiming for, not equality, but supremacy. blah blah blah..." and lept at the apparent chance to argue.

Malcolm X believed that whites didn't deserve to live. Simple as that.
Mocker

Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:43 PM       
Well, Malcolm gave a few different messages, often in conflict with each other. Being a fan of his teaching doesn't mean you're an automatic supremacist. Same as being a student of Dr. Kings didn't stop the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons from getting things a little confused.

You have to remember that "equal rights" was a buzz word term in those days that we've come to distort into meaning "i deserve more because you've put me at a disadvantage". That's not what the original feminists, or gay rights leaders wanted...and it's not what King wanted either. They all were about making changes that effected our future, while things like Reparations dwell on the past. I don't think there's any arguments in this thread in favor of that.

With that said, Supa, being Black in Washington State is a pretty individual experience. I don't know where you're from, or how much you've travelled, but I've spent a lot of time in some ghetto areas and throwing some money at the problem isn't the worst idea. Of course , fixing the system would be ideal. There are Blacks in all tax brackets, but for those at the bottom, Sports and the entertainment industry are still the only goals young kids aim for. They're not being encouraged to be pharmacists, or real estate brokers. I'm just of the opinion that Blacks have contributed enough to our culture, and have been intertwined into American communities long enough they shouldn't be compared in statistics to the recent influx of Asians (or whoever) and their needs. Nobody would pull out stats of Native Americans and compare them to Russian imigrants to prove Natives are lazy. It would be insane.
Slim Goodbody
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 05:58 PM       
Well, I am relieved that you cleared that all up. In fact, you cleared up many different topics there as well as the one we were talking about, so I guess we are all done. Good chat everyone.
Mocker
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly345
that men like Dr. Martin Luthor King was aiming for, not equality, but supremacy.
That statement doesn't make any sense in proper english. Do you mean that King was aiming for supremacy?
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:15 PM       
If society wasn't so godamn PC then we wouldn't even need labels such as African American and the award would be for black kids and be stated as such.
Resident Chimp
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:32 PM       
Quote:
That statement doesn't make any sense in proper english. Do you mean that King was aiming for supremacy?
The sentence makes perfect sense. He meant King was aiming for supremacy. It was in quotes to show a degree of facetiousness and make fun of, not just a lack of understanding in his posts, but a high degree of retardation.
Mocker
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:56 PM       
No, it doesn't make any grammatical sense.

Recall the statement:

Quote:
Doing it while believing that men like Dr. Martin Luthor King was aiming for, not equality, but supremacy.
Now, considering what the phrase mean meant, it should have read this:

Quote:
Doing it while believing that men like Dr. Martin Luthor King were aiming for supremacy, not equality.
The first statement might have made sense, but it became muddled because of the incorrect usage of "was" in place of "were".

In short, Canuck, you need english lessons.
Slim Goodbody
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 07:57 PM       
Quote:
Quote:
that men like Dr. Martin Luthor King was aiming for, not equality, but supremacy.
Dammit are you thick headed. That was a small exerpt that belonged to a larger text. If you had properly read what I posted outside of just small slices that your mind picks up as 'idiot arguing material' than it would make perfect sense. It was a prediction of all that you saw of my previous posts, and according to the post in which I am replying, you picked up much less than that.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 08:24 PM       
Quote:
In short, Canuck, you need english lessons.
I guess it's just a question of who's mentally developed enough to grasp the meaning of statements even when they're imperfect instead of looking at every word literally and assuming they can't possibly just be mistakes.

You sound more like a contrary little boy with every successive post. No one appreciates anything you have to say around here anymore. Why don't you take a vacation and adjust yourself a little bit in whatever way is necessary to make yourself just a little more interesting and less of a waste of protoplasm?
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 09:09 PM       
Quote:
To be more equal than the other guy.

We belong together as a joint community. All that is coming out of this power struggle is a waste of money and alot of extra anger.
Is it just me, or does that flash images of Animal Farm into anyone else's heads?
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 09:38 PM       
After googling "martin luther king affirmative action" I found this:

"Whenever the issue of compensatory treatment for the Negro is raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The Negro should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic."

http://www.fair.org/extra/9505/king-...ve-action.html
(fortified with right-bashing goodness!)
Suck 'n' Fuck is probably a spambot
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 09:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
Quote:
To be more equal than the other guy.

Is it just me, or does that flash images of Animal Farm into anyone else's heads?
You mean 1984.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 09:43 PM       
Actually a little of both. With Animal Farm I was thinking of the "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" thing.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:36 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by george
i asked "you understand how offensiv it is that they have a SOUTH AFRICAN nominated for this award with SOUTH AFRICA having been the last hold out for sepratisim, and how offensive that is?"
So just because you're white and from South Africa, you supported apartheid?

Doesn't the fact that his family left the country for America mean anything?

I say fuck you to everyone jumping this kid's case. He probably meant it as a joke. If he'd been living here for any length of time, he'd know that the term African-American means something different than someone who changed their citizenship from somewhere in Africa to America. Joke or statement about the absurdity of our language or whatever, did he deserve to be suspended over this?

This is actually more common than you think. Do you know how many white kids, born in Africa, now live in the US? I've a friend who is from South Africa, and when she first moved here someone had to explain why she couldn't apply for African-American scholarships. She thought it was funny, but that was the end of it.

To think you'd have to fuckin educate someone from South Africa on racial sensitivity is absurd. No one my age was around when the serious shit happened here. Someone from S. Africa is a witness to a real civil rights movement whether they were for or against it, they LIVED it. And I mean no disrespect to anything anyone is doing right now to make our citizens more equal, but damn, we've come a long way if all we have to worry about is some white kid saying he's native African and now American, but not saying he's African-American because that makes black people mad.

WHAT THE FUCK?! This shit gets press but the shit we're desensitized to cuz it happens every day still goes on and no one says or does anything cuz no one knows what to do, but hey, here's some dumb kid, let's take out our problems with these issues on him, yeah that sounds real fucking productive.

Our species is fucking insane.
Mocker

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:06 PM       
Ziggy - everyone here seems to understand the kid meanti t as a joke. if it sparks deeper conversation about the fringe issues then so be it.

White South Africans aren't the most recially sensitive bunch no matter where you find them. A good number of them left for America because their families had to leave, because they were guilty of something. So it works both ways. They're also coming from a world where being racially sensitive isn't much of a priority, and their sense for such a thing might not be as pc as ours. Yeh it was a joke, but that doesn't mean the kids the next coming of Lenny Bruce.