Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 10:04 AM       
http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/201...uffpost/427247

Cruise ship docks in Haiti, drops off a few pallets of supplies...and then passengers have a fun barbecue on the beach.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 09:20 PM       
Definitely a "WTF?" moment.

Dancing, a luau and people dying horribly. Great combo.
You may already be there.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 10:05 AM       
"We payed good money for this vacation. We shouldnt be punished because they decided to die. "
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 10:42 AM       
So you don't want people to spend money to vacation in Haiti because of the earthquake?

I understand it appears in poor taste with dead bodies lying everywhere but the country needs all the business it can get for its horrible economy and I'm sure now more then ever they need foreign businesses to continue to invest in their country.

And should people also stop all their vacations to the Dominican republic too out of respect for the Haitians? I mean its on the same small island as the quake victims.

Whats the difference now that there was a natural disaster opposed to the man made one that the Haitians have been living in for decades while the world let them suffer in silence. I mean before the earthquake was it any better for rich westerners to be vacationing in a private resort while the majority of the population lived poverty stricken lives? We do the same thing with Jamaica. We enjoy their beaches while the country dies and becomes a breeding ground for gangs and drug cartels and that won't stop because of some earthquake.

If the world really gave a shit about haiti or poor people in general they would fix the infrasture of these shitty coutnries before the natural diasters hit and turn a shitty situation into an unbeliveable shittier one.
Mocker
elx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty okelx is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 11:17 AM       
Quote:
If the world really gave a shit about haiti or poor people in general they would fix the infrasture of these shitty coutnries before the natural diasters hit and turn a shitty situation into an unbeliveable shittier one.
yeah seriously. it's receiving so much attention that everyone wants to do good while we're still watching.

it's a good thing that they didn't cancel their trip to this resort either. it was on the other side of the island and had been planned well in advance. screw everyone whose making a shit storm out of it, because now these cruises and foreign travel businesses are going to avoid haiti for fear of criticism. once haiti has been replaced and worked out of the trips you guys can go and tell all of the out of work haitians and their children that it was out of respect.

-MODERATOR MILHORSE
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 12:16 PM       
They can still stab shoot and voodoo each other.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM       
I think there are people on both sides of that particular debate who need a hearty screw you.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:46 PM       
If they really didn't want to help out, they should've stayed on the boat and not gone anywhere near the ******s they apparently detest so much.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 08:49 PM       
I don't really know a lot about the haitian government/wealthy but i hate them and this is probably all somehow their fault.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 11:18 PM       
Kahl cuts through the crap again.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10708 View Post

ha ahaha yeah, the "America-Just-Walks-In-Ignores-The-Government-And-Fixes-Everything" Program, I hear that Pakistan and Yemen has been trying to get enrolled for YEARS. People just can't seem to get enough of United States fucking meddling, wonder why we don't do it more often
Mocker
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:48 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus View Post
ha ahaha yeah, the "America-Just-Walks-In-Ignores-The-Government-And-Fixes-Everything" Program, I hear that Pakistan and Yemen has been trying to get enrolled for YEARS. People just can't seem to get enough of United States fucking meddling, wonder why we don't do it more often
did I say the united states? the united nations existed last time i checked

so you'd rather the united states military come to build roads after an earthquake but before an earthquake its us meddling?
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 01:18 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant10708 View Post
did I say the united states? the united nations existed last time i checked
Oh yeah, that's a model of efficient reform right there. So you propose that the United Nations goes into a country like, oh, Jamaica or Somalia, imposes martial law and reconstructs an entire country's culture and infrastructure without ever being asked to do so. That'll go over real well.

Quote:
so you'd rather the united states military come to build roads after an earthquake but before an earthquake its us meddling?
NO SHIT, SHERLOCK
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 09:20 AM       
During the reign of one of the Duvalier's, the US was good with dumping a load of food into Haiti to support the government. Trouble was that it put many farmers out of business. So the out-of-work farmers came to the city where they were promised jobs - when the jobs didn't magically appear, they built ramshackle huts in and around the capital. [Fill in the blanks from here.]

Sometimes the best solution is to teach people to solve their own problems.

Just sayin'.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:16 PM       
Hawaii 2
Ancient Mariner
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:22 PM       
"NO WAI DA UNITED NATIONS NEEDS TA MARCH IN WITH THEIR ARMY AND FIX EVERYTHING

CAUSE THEY TOTALLY DO HAVE AN ARMY, I KNOW IT

WAIT, NATO? WUZZAFUCK IZZAT?"
Ancient Mariner
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 12:23 PM       
Hey, let's all help by funneling in guns, that's working great in Somalia
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 01:55 PM       
AMERICA!!!! F**K YEAH!!!!
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 04:26 PM       
The problem with us interfering with other countries is that we can never do enough. If we could just like take over and turn it into another state and kill everybody there that's a jerk/enslave the populace replace their government and start building infrastructure ourselves it would probably work out better, but instead we'll interfere in minor affairs and end up doing next to nothing.

Other than that, I agree that they're gonna have to solve their own problems. BUT IT MAKES YOU WONDER IF THESE PEOPLE CAN SOLVE THEIR OWN PROBLEMS. JESUS CHRIST.
Mocker
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM       
I don't see the concept of the United Nations performing acts like paving roads and building hospitals with actual foundations in poor countries to be so completely outrageous and mock worthy.

impose martial law, and reconstruct the culture is obviously stuff your mind made up because you get jumpy and think colonialism when any country gets involved with another.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:19 AM       
That's all well and good, but without doctors, nurses and knowledgeable staff for the hospitals or engineers to maintain the roadways (and adequate security for both) we'll find that all our good intentions go for naught. Plus, if we do all the work, with our contractors and our equipment, then leave - what has changed really? We have a desperately poor society with a really good hospital and some cool roads. How long do you think that hospital or those roadways are going to be useful in that situation.

We're right now trying to do this in Iraq. How is that working out?

My point stands - teach the people to solve their own problems their own way. Give them the tools to allow them to make their own decisions about how to go about fixing their country. Knowledge is power.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
They can still stab shoot and voodoo each other.

This just replaced rock paper scissors forever with me.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
My point stands - teach the people to solve their own problems their own way. Give them the tools to allow them to make their own decisions about how to go about fixing their country. Knowledge is power.

Not to be negative or offtopic but that's what we did with Iraq in the early 90's and then they started the Taliban right?
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 11:23 AM       
Nope. We gave Saddam Hussein guns and ammo in the '80s so he could bomb Iran, but he ended up bombing the Kurds. Then he took it a step further annexing our oil in Kuwait, which resulted in our slapping him on the wrist and making him promise to never do it again.

We started the Taliban also in the early '80s when the USSR was getting their butts handed to them in Afghanistan (and we here were calling it their "Vietnam"). Aid was funnelled to the "northern alliance" which was really a bunch of tribal leaders who hated each other, but hated the Russians more. The Taliban was formed out of that group.

By tools I was referring to intellectual property - education, teachers, books - not AK-47s, F17s, RPGs and assorted chemical warheads.

I fully admit I'm living in "DREAMLAND". In retrospect, you are correct, it's the latter that we end up providing.

Last edited by Colonel Flagg : Jan 22nd, 2010 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Needed more explanation.
Is a RoboCop.

The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 12:26 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000 Volt Ghost View Post
Not to be negative or offtopic but that's what we did with Iraq in the early 90's and then they started the Taliban right?
THE WAR IN IRAQ WAS CLEARLY JUSTIFIED THEN