Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 03:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_squared View Post
I put a call into the principal, so maybe this will work. If not then I guess I go to the district school board, then to the state.
In the mean time all of his teachers are going to be gettting emails 2x a week asking about my son and his progress. No reply with 2 days and I will report them.
As for my son, once his grades go up I will give him back his computer to play Minecraft, his x box for Halo and maybe he may get the Obilvion expansion for his birthday in November. So hopefully that will motivate him.
What day is his birthday?
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 03:42 PM       
Quote:
The [public school administration] tell[s] me they can not take the time to [notify me that my son is failing] because they have too many students so its impossable to notify parents of failing kids.
Bullshit.
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_squared
He has ADD, the school is aware of it and they are required to help him because of it, so he is on a program.
Now they say in order to help him he has to go to "special ed classes" and see the school psychologist.
Is he on meds, or are you trying a holistic approach toward treating the disorder (there's nothing wrong with either, IMO). Just askin'.

Quote:
Supposedly a progress report was sent home with my son. I never got it. I would not put it past a kid to hide a report card, but he has never done that before. No matter how bad his grades have been I always get them. The school is sending the report cards home with the kids instead of mailing them to save some money. Still I should be notified he is in danger of failing before the progerss report home. Especially if he is on a program to prevent this.
Our school system always sends the RC's home with the kids, so I'm trained to look out for them. This being said, I'd also have the teacher's, counsellor's, and other administrative flunky's direct dial telephone numbers so I could bitch directly to these idiots. You might even want to research what other districts have gone through in Cali (?) to see what your legal options are regarding this most egregious lapse in oversight courtesy of your school system.

Quote:
I was also told that the one A he got on his report cart was in error. Supposedly that teacher gave ever kid in the class an A, because he is suffering from Parkinsons.
WTH
I thought Parkinsons made you shaky, not mentally challenged.
So I asked what grade is he getting since it is not an A. They replied they havent figured it out yet.
Wait - they know he could not have gotten an "A" yet they also state they don't know what grade he earned?

How does this work, exactly?

By the way, you are correct - Parkinson's makes you shake and lose the ability to communicate or even walk (in severe cases) but generally your mental faculties are as sharp as ever.

Quote:
In elementry school there was [a PTA]. It was filled with stay at home moms and [all] they were in charge of was school fundraising activities. Not sure about high school.
If not, then start one. I can't believe you're alone in this.

Good luck.
You may already be there.
Salticidae!
b_squared is probably a real personb_squared is probably a real person
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 03:44 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
High school's worthless in absolutely every respect. No one worthwhile even pays attention to it unless you've made straight-A's for all four years, are part the Honors Society, and in fifty clubs. Don't worry about it.

Unless he doesn't want to go to college or do anything else. That's a bit bigger an issue.
My daughters both got straight As, in the honor society and many clubs in high school. They are in college now with straight As and on the Deans list.

That's why when the school shrink indicated the problem starts at home with little or no parental support I call bullshit.

What my son will do when he graduates, I don't know. Probably college, but which one will depend on how well he does in high school.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 03:49 PM       
Quote:
I put a call into the principal, so maybe this will work. If not then I guess I go to the district school board, then to the state.
In the mean time all of his teachers are going to be gettting emails 2x a week asking about my son and his progress. No reply with 2 days and I will report them.
As for my son, once his grades go up I will give him back his computer to play Minecraft, his x box for Halo and maybe he may get the Obilvion expansion for his birthday in November. So hopefully that will motivate him.
Good plan.

I've used a similar strategy on my high schooler with somewhat mixed results (more positive than negative). What grade is he in, exactly, if you don't mind telling? Does he have favorite subjects, or is he school-neutral (a.k.a. hates everything)?
Salticidae!
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 03:50 PM       
@ Willie
Yep Skyrim...I thought it was and expansion, good to know its a full game.
@Ghost
Nov 25th
@ Flagg
Thank you for the info.
Thanks everyone, I'm feeing better.
Salticidae!
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM       
He is in 10th grade, will be 15 years old in November. He likes school ( hard to believe) but its true. Its the teachers he usually falls out with. He hates the teachers who play videos in class but don't instruct, teachers who dont have the time to explain things...ect.
He likes science, he is good with math ( although he says he does not get it, often times he explains his homework to me) hates english and writing.
Oh and the meds question. I resisted for a long time putting him on medication till last year in JR high. He is now on Concerta 15mg. He says it helps, and other than keeping him awake too late no ther side effects. We upped the doseage once because we we not sure the 15mg was working, but we had problems with headaches, sleeping and appetite, and no benefits with his grades or school.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 04:02 PM       
Quote:
My daughters both got straight As, in the honor society and many clubs in high school. They are in college now with straight As and on the Deans list.

That's why when the school shrink indicated the problem starts at home with little or no parental support I call bullshit.

What my son will do when he graduates, I don't know. Probably college, but which one will depend on how well he does in high school.
What I mean is that you're either in the top 10% or it doesn't matter anymore. This is my personal experience today talking as I was an extremely average high school student and now I'm making all the right plays at university and mingling with the right people. As a result, I can pretty much do whatever I want. When I'm done with this shtick, I can make some things happen.

It's all in posturing. Far less work than trying to butt one's head against an uncaring system, but that's a deeper philosophical/scholastic issue. (The point of a bachelor's/master's, how much they are really worth, et cetera.)

If I could do things over again, I wouldn't bother with university and head, instead, to a community college or vocational school. Knowing people and learning are both things that can be done for free.
Salticidae!
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM       
Thanks FZ
This is kinda where my mindset is at now. Of the options after high school ( I want him to have a diploma not a GED) He can either go to community college, trade school or work. His father can get him into the training program to be and electral distribution worker (lineman like his dad). It pays well. Or he can apprentice with one of his friend's dad who works for the studio building props for the movies. Shitty hours but it should pay decient. He would not need a college degree to make his way in the world, but I want to get him through high school. Hell he could even do what I do and be animal control, but the pay is shit.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 04:44 PM       
Life's pretty good on $40/hour in a medium-size town.

My friend's got a GED, had no intention of going to college, but he's starting his apprenticeship soon. Working with metal, I hear.

I kinda want to go to UTI to work on motorcycles, but that's a while down the road if at all. I'd be all over that, though.
Salticidae!
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 05:07 PM       
Motorcycles. I would have never guessed.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 05:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
Life's pretty good on $40/hour in a medium-size town.

My friend's got a GED, had no intention of going to college, but he's starting his apprenticeship soon. Working with metal, I hear.

I kinda want to go to UTI to work on motorcycles, but that's a while down the road if at all. I'd be all over that, though.
I can't take them seriously because of the name of it.
SKATASTIC
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 05:11 PM       
Quote:
@Ghost
Nov 25th
Aww, middle of the month is where its at.
Salticidae!
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 05:16 PM       
For what its worth ghost, he was born a week and a half late from my due date.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 05:18 PM       
Quote:
He is in 10th grade, will be 15 years old in November. He likes school ( hard to believe) but its true. Its the teachers he usually falls out with. He hates the teachers who play videos in class but don't instruct, teachers who dont have the time to explain things...ect.
I hate those teachers too.

Quote:
He likes science, he is good with math ( although he says he does not get it, often times he explains his homework to me) hates english and writing.
Sorry for the emphasis. :D

I hated English and writing as well, but managed to convince myself that it was more important to do the work and do it well, than to slack off and just get by. That was just before my senior year, so he still has time to figure this out for himself.

Quote:
I resisted [meds] for a long time, [but finally put] him on medication till last year in JR high. He is now on Concerta 15mg. He says it helps, and other than keeping him awake too late no other side effects. We upped the doseage once because we we[re] not sure the 15mg was working, but we had problems with headaches, sleeping and appetite, and no benefits with his grades or school.
You are following the med-mantra - "LESS IS MORE". Good. The key point in all this is that if he says it is helping him focus, then it's a good choice.

And give those bastards Hell.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 05:20 PM       
@B² - He's precisely 6 years older than my daughter.
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 05:33 PM       
My mom, sister, and my birthdays are all within 5 days of eachother. Nov 20th is my sister, 22nd is mine, and 25th is my mom's. So I just tell them not to get me anything because I don't want to spend much on them.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 05:48 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0k0 View Post
But couldn't they have done that a while back? What has changed within the last few years to warrant this pulling out?
They should have came home a while ago, but I was kind of being sarcastic when I said it was cool of Obama to do that. I'm not a big fan of Barry

UPDATE ON PUNK ROCK CHICK I HAVE A CRUSH ON FROM MY BIO CLASS

We're having lunch in a week or two
Salticidae!
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 06:00 PM       
Punk rock chick sounds like she would be more fun than opera chick.
Salticidae!
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM       
The late November birthday, kinda glad I did not have to deliver on turkey day.
My daughters(twins) turned 19 on Weds.

I'm feeling old.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 06:24 PM       
I very nearly failed high school, then went into business for myself at 21. Then after actually failing out of that, I went back to school at a community college but was motivated to actually try this time and got a 3.98 or something, which allowed me to go to pretty much any university I wanted. Today I just got my diploma for my BS in business, Summa Cum Laude :>

I guess what I'm saying is that Fatmom is right that high school is shit, but you'll have to pay for fucking off later by going to community college, which is basically the 13th and 14th grades. I think almost everyone should work for a couple years between high school and college, though.
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 06:44 PM       
I got all A's in highschool until I decided about junior year that they were just giving grades away and that the shit was way too easy. So I just kind of stopped going and only came in to pass the tests. The school didn't like this even though I was getting 90's to 100's on these 'tests' that were supposed to show that I learned everything. When I passed the final exams at a higher grade than everyone but 3 people despite staying at home and smoking pot, they couldn't fight the fact that they were dumb dicks and let me have it as long as I was passing tests. I graduated despite only going to class maybe once every two weeks during my last year. I made a whole lot of cash working and smoked a whole lot of pot.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 06:47 PM       
I regret not taking a year or even just a semester off. But I would've been doing what I was already doing at work, anyway, so I didn't see the point. I also regret giving a shit about this one girl at the time, so I guess I fucked up a lot. Still think university's a sucker's bet for most people, though.

But hey, you can camp out in Zuccotti Park after you graduate!

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM       
Quote:
Motorcycles. I would have never guessed.

Pornography. Just listen to it.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 07:01 PM       
i can't wait till those idiots resort to cannibalism

jk they're all wealthy faggots who are tweeting about how they're changing the corporate world on their iPads
The Glum Cunt
Old Oct 21st, 2011, 07:04 PM       
I never got the whole motorcycle and car lovers. To me, when I hear a motorcycle I just think "that shit better not come through my neighborhood at 4 in the morning". And cars are just a way to get around. I don't care what kind it is as long as it doesn't break down for me.