Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:48 AM        Ahmadinejad challenges Bush to debate
Ahmadinejad defiant, challenges Bush to TV debate

By Parisa Hafezi
Reuters
Tuesday, August 29, 2006; 9:12 AM

TEHRAN (Reuters) - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad voiced defiance on Tuesday as a deadline neared for Iran to halt work the West fears is a step toward building nuclear bombs, and challenged President Bush to a televised debate.

"Peaceful nuclear energy is the right of the Iranian nation. The Iranian nation has chosen that based upon international regulations, it wants to use it and no one can stop it," he told a news conference.

The U.N. Security Council has given Iran until Thursday to suspend uranium enrichment -- a process which can produce fuel for civilian reactors or explosive material for warheads -- and has threatened sanctions unless it does so.

Ahmadinejad said Iran had laid out a framework for talks in its reply to an offer by six world powers of incentives in exchange for a suspension of enrichment. That framework provided an "exceptional opportunity" to solve the nuclear dispute.

Asked specifically if Iran would halt enrichment, even for a short period, he replied: "In that (Iran's response to the six-nation offer) we announced that any kind of dialogue should be based upon the certain rights of the Iranian nation."

He did not elaborate.

Ahmadinejad condemned the U.S. and British roles in the world since World War Two.

"We think the special privileges that America and Britain are taking advantage of today are the origin of all disturbances in the world," Ahmadinejad said, adding the two countries abused their roles as permanent members of the Security Council.

"Isn't it time that international relations are founded on democracy and equal rights of the nations?"

"I suggest holding a live TV debate with Mr. George W. Bush to talk about world affairs and the ways to solve those issues," he said.

"The debate should be go uncensored in order for the American people to be able to listen to what we say and they should not restrict the American people from hearing the truth."

MAJOR POWERS DIVIDED

Washington has called for a swift response if Iran does not meet the deadline. But analysts say divisions at the United Nations about how to handle Iran's file could delay such a move.

Iran has shown no sign it will halt enrichment. The world's fourth largest oil exporter has shrugged off the threat of sanctions and said such a move would simply push oil prices up to intolerable levels for industrialized economies.

"If the Western countries have the intention to have comprehensive, long-term cooperation with Iran then they should not pursue imposing sanctions on Iran," Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Ali Larijani said on state TV late on Monday.

Before Ahmadinejad spoke on Tuesday, oil was holding above $70 a barrel as worries about Iran's nuclear program helped to brake a steep sell-off.

He also said Iran's effort to master the nuclear fuel cycle was "irreversible" -- echoing earlier comments by the president and Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who is the highest authority in Iran.

Iran has said it is ready for immediate talks on its atomic plans but has refused to suspend enrichment before negotiations start, which was proposed in a package of incentives offered by the United States, China, Russia, France, Britain and Germany.

Russia and China, big trade partners of Iran who have veto powers in the U.N. Security Council, may oppose any move toward sanctions.

Washington, which already imposes unilateral sanctions on Iran, has suggested it could consider action outside the Security Council with other like-minded countries.

Iran has said action without the council's backing would be an insult to the world body. Analysts say such a coalition might only have a limited impact on Iran if it did not include major trade partners, such as Germany, Italy and Japan.

© 2006 Reuters
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 08:33 PM       
Doesn't Ahmadinejad already know that Bush doesn't negotiate with terrorists?
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:59 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggy
Doesn't Ahmadinejad already know that Bush doesn't negotiate with terrorists?
ROFL, but seriously i know such a debate would never happen but I'd love to see it. As long as Bush's ear piece is turned on :P

He has some legit points but how can the world trust him considering his history of war and open support of genocide with nearby nations?

It's different from say India or Japan whom we can trust won't bomb the hell out of someone, but Iran, under the current administration has proved it self far to risky to hold nuclear power.

Of course some might say the same about the US but hey, we invented the nuke and haven't used it in over 50 years and don't plan on using it anytime soon.

All good points for those two to debate, to bad it'll never happen cause it would be historical and very enlightening.
say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 09:43 AM       
This is what Ahmadinejad had to say today

The West "needs to know that the Iranian nation won't fold under pressure," said the Iranian president in a speech he gave Thursday morning before a large audience in the city of Aromiya, which was broadcast on Iranian television. "Our nation wants dialogue based on justice, and wants stability and peace in the world. Throughout history, Iran has protected the nations of the world. Iran doesn't present a threat to anyone, but has the right to nuclear technology for peaceful purposes. The Iranian nation won't forego this right."

So who's lying and who's telling the truth? Don't get me wrong, I am NOT defending this guy, as i know he is a crazy fuck. Sure he talks the talk but does he actually walk the walk? Has the west been responsible for distorting, purposedly mis-translating and editing his statements in the past? We dont know for sure and probably never will.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:15 AM       
based on what's been going on in the Middle East I think the U.S. should try and get some dialogue going with Iran. Do you want a fragmented puppet regime or this guy?
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2006, 05:26 PM       
"Doesn't pose a threat to anyone" -now

"Wipe the jews off the face of the earth like the cancer they are" - 5 minutes ago

Does he honestly believe we don't listen to him? You can't talk out of both sides of your ass.

I heard Jimmy Carter wants to talk to him though while he's here, and Bush wanted to debate but his advisors said no.

The Good Reverend Roger is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 02:11 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage the Cowardly Dog
"Doesn't pose a threat to anyone" -now

"Wipe the jews off the face of the earth like the cancer they are" - 5 minutes ago

Does he honestly believe we don't listen to him? You can't talk out of both sides of your ass.
Sorta like Bush stating that we'd catch Bin Ladin dead or alive, and then later saying that he didn't care about Bin Ladin, that Bin Ladin "didn't matter"?
Forum Virgin
AngryTinyMan is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 02:48 AM        Re: Ahmadinejad challenges Bush to debate
Quote:
"Peaceful nuclear energy is the right of the Iranian nation. The Iranian nation has chosen that based upon international regulations, it wants to use it and no one can stop it."
Did anyone else happen to find it funny/unsettling that he said those two things together?

Frankly, I feel if they ever did, somehow, agree to a debate, they would both end up horribly misrepresented by the media. Iranian news would probably censor the hell out of the debate to make Ahmadinejad look good, regardless of whether he won or not. American news would probably focus very little on the debate itself, but just assume the worst based on Iran's reputation as Courage somewhat said, and argue about that.

The Good Reverend Roger is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 02:51 AM        Re: Ahmadinejad challenges Bush to debate
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryTinyMan
Did anyone else happen to find it funny/unsettling that he said those two things together?

Frankly, I feel if they ever did, somehow, agree to a debate, they would both end up horribly misrepresented by the media.
1. Yes, but I'm not exactly shocked. This guy knows how to attention whore.

2. Obviously. In fact, that would be the funniest part of the whole spectacle. You ever watch a Bush speech, and then listen to the talking heads afterward, as they painstakingly explain to you what you just heard? Think of the hilarity that would ensue with a debate like THIS.