Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:31 PM        Uhh..Fuck?
While at work today, I got a call from a friend who's internet I was leeching saying that he got an email saying his account was used for copyright infringement or something. He said it doesn't sound too serious but I'm not sure. COULD I GO TO JAIL FOR DOWNLOADING LEGO STAR WARS 2?

Edit: I just got off the phone with him. He read the email from the ISP and it said that no information was given to whoever emailed them about the file being downloaded and that they don't do that unless legal action is taken, which hasn't been. Then it gave a list of possible reasons for the file being downloaded without his knowledge. Seems like just a warning but I think I'm gonna stay off bit torrent for a bit...or at least be more careful about what I download :O. Is it even possible to get in shit for downloading that stuff in Canada? I didn't think they ever did anything about it here.

That was very funny. Well done.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:38 PM       
i doubt it
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:39 PM       
This happened two years with my roommate who had downloaded Alien Vs. Predator. Basically the ISP outlined the details of the infringement such as the time it was dled, the size of the file, the exact name of the file, etc. They told him to delete all illegal movies and whatnot and to go to their website to digitally sign some form stating that he was a good little boy who did what he was told.

You should be okay.
zoom
eggyolk is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:40 PM       
what did you download it with?? and yes.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:41 PM       
I can't help but think of Sports when I hear of Alien versus Predator.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat
This happened two years with my roommate who had downloaded Alien Vs. Predator. Basically the ISP outlined the details of the infringement such as the time it was dled, the size of the file, the exact name of the file, etc. They told him to delete all illegal movies and whatnot and to go to their website to digitally sign some form stating that he was a good little boy who did what he was told.

You should be okay.
Yeah, they gave all the details too. I really doubt they'll do anything about it but it still kinda got me freaked out for a bit.

yolk: downloaded it with bittorent and that's what it said in the email :O

Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM       
Yup, my roommate also used bittorrent. He panicked for about 20 minutes, deleted all of his movies (the guy had even downloaded a bootlegged Passion of the Christ!), signed the form on the site, and then we never heard about it ever again.

Relax, i'm sure it will be fine.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:02 PM       
i got in trouble with my internet folks for downloading harry potter audiobook mp3s on kazaa they shut me off for a week, i promised to stop filesharing, and promptly switched to bittorrents
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:06 PM       
I started using Peerguardian ever since the RIAA/MPAA started doing this shit and suing college students.

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

It updates itself regularly and is basically a second firewall that only blocks the IPs of known copyright nazis and their affiliates. It also tends to block certain MMO servers, so I have to turn it off when I play COV ;<
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:23 PM       
Downloading huge files suck and If some company gives you shit send them an email back saying "Oh Ya, well I might have actually bought your game and the next game if you weren't a prick about this" but that's me and I'm a 40 year old man in a 18 year old sexually agressive young man's body
Mocker
Mike is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:46 PM       
WTF martin. WTF
Banned

Juttin is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
I started using Peerguardian ever since the RIAA/MPAA started doing this shit and suing college students.

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

It updates itself regularly and is basically a second firewall that only blocks the IPs of known copyright nazis and their affiliates. It also tends to block certain MMO servers, so I have to turn it off when I play COV ;<
Is it like, an add-on? Or is it another BT Program?

Alive is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM       
So far i have been pretty lucky, though now that i think about what all i have downloaded over several isp's in the last few years, wi-fi hotspots included -via homemade parabolic dish's (little hobby of mine) and "war driving" (witch equates to a bunch of hotel parking lots and various business districts in the middle of the night) i dunno, maybe i would handle it as my friend did and ignore it (crazy maybe) he just threw the letter away and didnt sign anything and they havent said anything more about it.
Banned

Juttin is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 09:07 PM       
Actually...Stratch that.

Very useful, Chojin.

Also, it doesn't even cut my connection rate.
525kbps on a 1 Gig. File
Darryl is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:12 AM       
My sister got one of those emails from Comcast and she freaked out. She was using Bit Torrent and downloaded some movie. This was a few weeks ago, and she's heard nothing since.....
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:25 AM       
Wow. I've never gotten a message for anything like this before. I'll have to try that thing chojin reccomended.
Title
Jeff The Ninja is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:38 AM       
Thanks a Million Chojin. I never got an E-Mail like that before but Yeah, I download a lot of games (Current collection totals in at over 200 and counting!).

Just one question, for those who used Bittorrent and got that letter, are you using the actual bittorrent client or some secondary one like Bitcomet or Bittornado? It might have to do with Bittorrent teaming up with the MPAA.

Founder of the E.P.O.A.E.P.I.C.A.P.H.W.H. Looking for Recruits

XBL Gamertag: KING HATESTAR
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 12:42 AM       
I don't use bit torrent that probably explains why still, that program sounds good.
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:43 AM       
I don't file share. It is stealing, and it is wrong. If you want to play a game or watch a movie, then you should be willing to pay for the game or rent/buy/go to the movies.

It's not like you can't live without electronic media.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 07:11 AM       
I use torrents so it doesn't suck the bandwidth from a site. It's a cheap way to get your crap out there and not have to put it on a server. I lurv it.

And by the way, Russo, what about music? You negelected to mention music.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM       
The only reason you're getting these letters is because you ended up downloading some small part of some file from one of the servers that the MPAA/RIAA sets up to share files. These servers act like any other torrent seed, but track all of the IPs that connect to it.

It has nothing to do with which BitTorrent client you're using (althought, theoretically, you could make a client that reports what files you download, but that wouldn't prove the actual contents of the file, only the filename). There's no such thing as an "official" BitTorrent client... BitTorrent is a protocol, not a specific program.

Use the thing that Chojin linked to, and this will stop you from connecting to the known spy servers.

If you start freaking out and delete all your stuff, that's what the MPAA/RIAA wants. They know they can't prosecute everyone, so they'll just trace your IP, tell your ISP to warn you with some legal cuntery and then forget about you. All of the students that got sued were dumb enough to be hosting 16,000 files off of the computer networks of public institutions where your IP can be traced down to the dormitory room you're in.
The Wolf
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 01:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoNWM
I don't file share. It is stealing, and it is wrong. If you want to play a game or watch a movie, then you should be willing to pay for the game or rent/buy/go to the movies.

It's not like you can't live without electronic media.

OH GOD
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM       
i agree
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero
I use torrents so it doesn't suck the bandwidth from a site. It's a cheap way to get your crap out there and not have to put it on a server. I lurv it.

And by the way, Russo, what about music? You negelected to mention music.
I don't download music either. I record it when it plays on the radio. I guess that is slightly more moral.

Okay you got me there. But I do see a difference between that and file sharing. Nobody can track when I record a song from the radio.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 08:14 PM       
So, it's only MORALLY wrong if someone sees you?