Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 28th, 2013, 12:53 AM       
black tiger is free on psn only

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 09:24 PM       
Final Fantasy II. The mechanics are a complete mindfuck but once you learn how magic penalties from equipment and weapons work (everything gives magic penalties so it's best to have your casters running around naked for most of the game) it ends up playing like all the other NES Final Fantasies with a lot more customization.

I just wish the game itself actually told you any of the shit you need to know in order to play it, since there's no way to figure out most of its systems without a guide. I still have no fucking idea how to increase Agility or Evasion rate, and when half your team embraces the traditional Celtic battle uniform that shit is kind of important to have.
aint nobody

All Hail Duke is probably a spambot
Old Mar 19th, 2013, 07:47 PM       
finished the walking dead game

frustrating at times, but very good
Esq.
stevetothepast is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:44 AM       
anyone play any good video games lately?
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:26 PM       
i've been playing sleeping dogs and god of war ascenscion

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 12:42 AM       
https://register.perfectworld.com/nw_splash
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:00 AM       
Been trying the NW beta myself. Nothing particularly noteworthy, but still kinda fun.

Esq.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 09:01 AM       
Well I just finished Red Dead Redemption again, and I am going to try Metal Gear guns of our patriots, I haven't played it because I was never a fan of the MGS series.

Also picked up Legend of the mystical ninja and brain lord for snes, so pretty pumped about that.
Shadowdancer21b is probably a spambot
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 12:36 PM       
Picked up Age of Empires II and expansion as a two-disc set at Walmart. Loving it like it's 1999 again. Now I need to get my grubby mitts on Command and Conquer: the First Decade.
Shadowdancer21b is probably a spambot
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetothepast View Post
Well I just finished Red Dead Redemption again, and I am going to try Metal Gear guns of our patriots, I haven't played it because I was never a fan of the MGS series.

Also picked up Legend of the mystical ninja and brain lord for snes, so pretty pumped about that.
Brainlord is one of the most challenging and interesting games on the SNES. There was so much depth to the gameplay!
Esq.
Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:27 PM       
pretty much anything by enix in the snes/sfc era is gold.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 04:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetothepast View Post
anyone play any good video games lately?
Yes, I played a game called Bastion last week and upon completing it I concluded that it had pretty much been everything a video game should fucking be and the best new game I've played in fucking forever.

It's fun and challenging and exiciting to play, it looks fantastic, the soundtrack fucks you in one ear while a running narration by some guy who sounds like a cross between James Earl Jones and that old blues singer from Metalocalypse fucks you in the other, and the game is aware of the fact that there is a sentient human being playing and enjoying it, and as a consequence it strives to make the player feel like they're as important a part of the narrative as any of the characters, locations or plot devices. I personally feel involved in this shit, you dig?

There aren't a lot of games I'd consider to be "perfect" games, not even any of those gay 90's JRPGs I'm always jacking off about. This, though, this is the real shit. Every major element of Bastion just works; I could think of a few things to complain about if I tried, like how melee weapons are basically useless once you get the shotgun or how the dual revolvers are the worst pieces of shit to ever exist, but that's all petty shit that's completely eclipsed by the game's grand design and 100% sexy execution. It's just SO FUCKING GOOD OMG I can't even deal. The last single-player game I can remember doing basically everything right like this was Half Life 2 Episode 2. Bastion is Valve good, I mean, fuck.

The only actual problem with it was that it ended at some point, although I guess there's new game plus and hard mode from Idols. That follow-up they're working on looks like more of the same except with cyberpunk and a USB Buster sword, so I guess I'm all over that shit when it comes out.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 11:59 AM       
I got Bioshock Infinite the other night. I never finished the original because my PC at the time couldn't run it very well, but I was excited to see the setting for Infinite.

There's a lot of detail to shit you don't see too often; it's an alternate reality 1912, so you'll be in a bar and a phonograph will be playing a ragtime "Tainted Love" or a flying Barber Quartet will be singing "God Only Knows", or some organ grinder playing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun". There's even an obscured Revenge of the Jedi reference in one scene. It also has a lot of fun with the founding fathers; basically Franklin, Washington, and Jefferson are seen as dieties, while Lincoln is demonized. Racism is a big point of the game too. But now I'm at the point in the game where quantum physics are starting to be introduced, so I'm afraid it's all about to go full retard.

The only thing I don't like is being limited to two guns. That, and Elizabeth is pretty much invisible during gunfights to everyone but you. For all the horse shit about Elizabeth being "real" or whatever, she just runs around during crossfire and no one pays any attention to her. Everything else is pretty badass, though. I wanted to use skylines and grapple points more, because those really change the way you do combat in a lot of scenes.

Console cowboy
Captain Conquest is probably a spambot
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 04:00 PM       
Megaman Zero collection, Fire Emblem: awakening, Startropics and Dragon Warrior!
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 08:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix Gamma View Post
The only thing I don't like is being limited to two guns. That, and Elizabeth is pretty much invisible during gunfights to everyone but you. For all the horse shit about Elizabeth being "real" or whatever, she just runs around during crossfire and no one pays any attention to her.
I'd rather it be that way than the other way, where your tagalong NPC is a brainless bullet sponge who exists solely to force you to reload.

That seems like the only other option when it comes to programming companion AI these days.

has a woody
Old Mar 28th, 2013, 02:06 AM       
I guess. It's just weird because the whole story the bad guys are all "GRAB THE GIRL", but when it's time for the pew pew, they're all "IGNORE THE GIRL. LET'S ALL 12 OF US FILL THIS ONE FUCKHEAD FULL OF BULLETS AND ROCKETS AND SHIT. YEA LET'S SEND A GIANT ROBOT GEORGE WASHINGTON AFTER HIM TOO."

I know, I know; video game, suspend disbelief, etc. It just takes you out of it. I wouldn't have minded if there were segments where guys strongarmed her and tried to carry her away, and you'd have to pick them off. Or change the story or something. Alyx Vance was invincible but she actually contributed during combat beyond magically refilling your ammo.

In any case, I just beat it. Without spoiling anything, there's a weird tie-in with Bioshock 1, and quantum physics just kinda fucks with everything so the ending's kinda jumbled. There's opportunity to branch out to new self-contained stories, but Infinite's story just comes to a halt and goes "I DUNNO QUANTUM PHYSICS DID IT WHATEVER".

It's a fun game with a cool setting, and the combat has its moments, but I think the game's waaaaaaaay overhyped for what it is.

The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 03:44 PM       
Uh, they want to capture her, not kill her. And they do carry her away. Also, it kinda sounds like you didn't understand the ending, or something. Maybe just stick to WiiU party games? Ohhh, right, and the inclusion of those modern songs isn't exactly random, alternate universe stuff. If you pick up and listen to the voxophones, things like that are explained. I enjoyed hearing CCR.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. 1999 mode isn't so bad if you learn to use vigors effectively.

That was very funny. Well done.
has a woody
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 09:11 PM       
Gosh, didn't mean to kick your precious puppy, mate.

Elizabeth is only captured twice, and at specific points in the story. Any other gunfight, she's either cowering or running in gunfire. Either way, enemies charge right past her in a train and gun Booker down instead of capturing her. Doesn't make sense.

And I get the ending, but there are way too many logical loopholes.
Spoilers!

It was an alright game, but the narrative fell waaaaay short of what they were originally aiming for, and the combat is just kind of a retread of exactly what they did in Bioshock. I'd give the game a solid B, but it's definitely not the 12 hours of blowjobs that reviewers are making it out to be.

Last edited by Phoenix Gamma : Mar 30th, 2013 at 12:28 AM.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:11 AM       
I'll read those spoilers and address whatever's in there later. For now, I'm just going to say that 1999 mode is a real bitch once you get to the ghost/banshee-thing boss. Holy shit that was annoying.

has a woody
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:27 AM       
FFFFFFFFFFuck that ghost. I cruised through the game on hard until that part. She just eats ammo like no other enemy. The first time you encounter the siren dude was obnoxious as shit too, though once you realize how feasible it is to sneak past them, it's not so bad.

The Wolf
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 12:46 AM       
It took me at least six attempts to beat the cemetery, and then the bank was nearly as annoying until I found out that going in through a different door (anywhere but the vault door) gave me a free shot at her, so I just used charge a bunch of times and ran like hell when the salts ran out. The final one wasn't so bad because I had a sniper rifle and used return to sender, which is pretty devastating when you've got like seven guys shooting at you. But really, those fights are nearly impossible until you figure out some kind of cheap strategy; there's not even enough fucking ammo in those areas AND THEY NEVER STOP COMING.

For that guy and his little minions, I just loaded up on melee-enhancing gear. They were electrocuted, flying back, and if anyone hit me, flames shot out of my vest. Even on a regular difficulty level, the game's not too hard until near the end, and then it's just ridiculous. I'm really not looking forward to those last two giant airship battles.

The Wolf
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:27 AM       
Ok, here we go.

Spoilers!

Really, this sort of story is always going to have a lot of discussion and plenty of plot holes which could be proven and unproven, but at least we're discussing it, which is kind of fun in and of itself. Like the Terminator movies! I prefer what I consider to be a well-executed story like this than a massive bed-shitting like in Mass Effect 3.

I am sooo tired and a lot of that probably didn't make sense. I seriously just went out for lunch like an hour after waking up, went home, and played pretty much all day. I feel kind of out of it.

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 12:39 AM       
When was this made free?
SuperYuriGagarin is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 07:30 PM       
Been playing a lot of Revengeance and Strike Suit Zero lately.
has a woody
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 10:32 PM