Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:04 AM       
Arabs can't wait? What the heck does that even mean?

I know muslims who have no worries about the conflict with Israel, b/c they know the Israelis are being out populated. Saying now that Arabs have no patience, no organization, and no loyalty shows a lack in foresight, imo. A generation of young men are being raised to hate Israel, hate the West, and have been indoctrinated with a warped sense of history.

I think radical muslims have shown a great deal of patience. Remember "Spain to Iraq"??? The notion that all of this is about Israel's 1967 borders and American troops in Saudi Arabia is absurd. This is about long standing grudges that they intend to remedy.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
The Good Reverend Roger The Good Reverend Roger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:10 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Arabs can't wait? What the heck does that even mean?

I know muslims who have no worries about the conflict with Israel, b/c they know the Israelis are being out populated. Saying now that Arabs have no patience, no organization, and no loyalty shows a lack in foresight, imo. A generation of young men are being raised to hate Israel, hate the West, and have been indoctrinated with a warped sense of history.
Sure. And I know Muslims that think Israel is just fine.

But we aren't talking about a few muslimswe know. We're talking about the Arab culture as a whole.

And what I said was that they can't stop bickering. And that is all that is required, if we'd just take advantage of it.
__________________
What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Abcdxxxx Abcdxxxx is offline
Mocker
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:14 AM       
And it seems like you should take your own advice and view the problem as it IS. There was nothing uniquely Rumsfeld about the statement. Sorry.

But okay, they read Mein Kampf simply to piss Israel off. They harbor Nazi war criminals, simply to piss Israel off. Or wait, maybe that happened 60+ years ago? Maybe these people aren't running fascists governments with genocidal militaristic goals? Okay fine, you don't believe that events like the Farhud in Iraq (which is irrefutable) were largely influential in the current situation there today. That the entire notion of Pan-Arabism was promoted by Muslims connected to the Nazi party can not be ignored because six decades have past.

I get it though. You edit history to accomodate your argument of the moment. Pan-Islamism has never succeeded, so it's as good an non-existant. Islamic Nazism never had it's day in the sun, so that means it didn't exist, and speaking of the current movement in like minded terms is "meaningless". What else is new, huh Reverand Ziggy?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:17 AM       
Every muslim in the "ME" doesn't need to hate the West in order to constitute a problem. Again, you have two nation states, several terrorist organizations, some political and some not, who all agree on some very violent things.

I too believe that most muslims/Arabs/Persians/etc. (if this is what you're arguing) would choose more freedom and modernity as opposed to the strict Islamic alternative, but this doesn't mean 15% of the muslim world (certainly still a sizeable #) wants the same.

There are things that bind muslims in the Middle East, and a lotofthem aren't very pleasant. The potential for this justto fester and grow is real, and shouldn't be disregarded.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
The Good Reverend Roger The Good Reverend Roger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:21 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
Pan-Islamism has never succeeded, so it's as good an non-existant.
Pretty much. It's about as much of a threat to the USA as communism is.
__________________
What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
"Unlike the Nazis, the Islamic fascists "answer" to the call of many leaders... dead ones...Muhammed ring a bell?"
-abcdgxgsdclsndku


Now if anyone ever puts a gun to my head and says what's the single stupidest thing Abcdx has ever posted, I'll have an answer. I'd been loosing sleep over that possability.
Max, I'd like for you to elaborate on this comment. Do you think he's incorrect b/c Muhammed simply doesn't hold much stature in the "ME"? Did Muhammed preach or practice peaceful Islam?

Which is it?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
The Good Reverend Roger The Good Reverend Roger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 12:23 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Every muslim in the "ME" doesn't need to hate the West in order to constitute a problem. Again, you have two nation states, several terrorist organizations, some political and some not, who all agree on some very violent things.

I too believe that most muslims/Arabs/Persians/etc. (if this is what you're arguing) would choose more freedom and modernity as opposed to the strict Islamic alternative, but this doesn't mean 15% of the muslim world (certainly still a sizeable #) wants the same.

There are things that bind muslims in the Middle East, and a lotofthem aren't very pleasant. The potential for this justto fester and grow is real, and shouldn't be disregarded.
Oh, no argument there.

But - speaking as the Taft fan that I am - why is this our problem?

I have no gripe whatsoever with kicking the living shit out of the people that actually attacked us...but I can't see why we should suddenly be the cop for the whole Muslim world.
__________________
What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Abcdxxxx Abcdxxxx is offline
Mocker
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:50 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Reverend Roger
Pretty much. It's about as much of a threat to the USA as communism is.
So the comparison to Communism works for you? I guess you and Rumsfeld are on the same page after all then.

Islamic supremacists have actually attacked US targets you know. It's not inflated boogie man fiction. It's not a myth.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
The Good Reverend Roger The Good Reverend Roger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:56 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Reverend Roger
Pretty much. It's about as much of a threat to the USA as communism is.
So the comparison to Communism works for you? I guess you and Rumsfeld are on the same page after all then.

Islamic supremacists have actually attacked US targets you know. It's not inflated boogie man fiction. It's not a myth.

As a metaphor. They are neither Nazis nor Commies. They are theocrats. Every bit as bad, but not the same thing.

And, yes, they have attacked us. Then we went off and invaded one of the only secular countries in the ME, instead of concentrating on putting the boot to the Taliban and AQ.
__________________
What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Abcdxxxx Abcdxxxx is offline
Mocker
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 02:26 AM       
The threat isn't defined by the response.

Our response has absolutely nothing to do with how appropriate any analogy might be. Tossing in how full of rainbows secular Iraq was really doesn't do anything to disprove the Nazi influence/ties/comparisons. Theocrats are not the problem, but theocrats with Final Solution goals are. Can you follow that, or do you hate your own government so much that we've lost you to an imaginary world of cognitive dissonance?
Reply With Quote
  #61  
mburbank mburbank is offline
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: right behind you
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:27 AM       

Reply With Quote
  #62  
mburbank mburbank is offline
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: right behind you
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:32 AM       
"Our response has absolutely nothing to do with how appropriate any analogy might be."
-Abcdefghij

Oh, so NOW these are Analogies? Have you ever wondered if you were ever wrong aboiut anything ever? I don't mean in this thread, or even on a message board, I mean at all. Like, say you thought a TV show you wanted to watch was going to be on, or there was enough cereal left in a box for a decent breakfast. ARE YOU A HUMAN BEING OR JUST A GLORIFIED TOASTER THAT POSTS?!?
Reply With Quote
  #63  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Reverend Roger
1. Same as usual. You'll notice that only about 1/3 of the ME gives a damn that we're in Iraq, for example.
If 1/3 of the "ME" thinks anything, we should probably pay attention to it.

That's a lot of people, despite what you might think about Arab feuds and in fighting.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Abcdxxxx Abcdxxxx is offline
Mocker
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 03:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
"Our response has absolutely nothing to do with how appropriate any analogy might be."
-Abcdefghij

Oh, so NOW these are Analogies?
we were talking about the communism comparison at the time for one thing, which is an analogy....anyway don't start foaming over yourself because i conceeded to some semantics of yours just to try and get a point across to you.

did you research the farhud yet?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
mburbank mburbank is offline
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: right behind you
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:14 PM       
Did you research being a glorified toaster? You didn't 'concede semantics'. You found it useful to use them and forgot you denied them. You are a blowhard.

Bush was at it again today. This is as serious as Hitler and Stalin and Lex Luthor. Okay, not Luthor.

W's gradpa was a facist sympathiser. W's dad had more than one person had to resign from his presidential campaign for being members of European facist groups, old money WWII era pals of his Dad's.

W himself tiptoes through the bluebells with Saudi Princes holding hands, the same princes who rule the totalitarian regime you.

Do any of these things make W the same as Hitler? No. He is a far lesser problem.

The many and various threads of Arab extremism may well have goals similar to WWII facists. The same goals don't make them the same thing. That's cynical sophistry born more from the fact there are less than three months left before the midterms and the party in power has shitty poll #'s than any facts on the ground. It seems clear to me our Pres hardly believes his statements himself, since he hasn't raised any taxes or called for a draft, actions which would be entirely appropriatte if he thought we were facing Stalin or Hitler.

Is your argument that W et al ACCIDENTALY are hitting the nail in the head, that their cynical electioneering happens to also be true? If so, where is the groundswell (or any swell at all) to throw these bastards out of office and replace them with people who not only desribe the threat accurately, but face it?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Abcdxxxx Abcdxxxx is offline
Mocker
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 05:12 PM       
Okay. More garbled posturing about how evil Bush is. Coming from you, it's just noise. You reject the comparison because of who made it, not because you have any grasp on the relevance of Nazism and Fascism to the current situation.

Like I said, I've given you something to go read up on. Come back when you retort goes beyond "Bush and Co. are bad". Kevin had the patience to respond to your 5 points of idiocy - if you have a rebutal, then let's hear it. I've then provided you with a historical link but rather then do your homework you just resort to the same shit.

So are you prepared to argue in full that Islamic fascism is non-existant, and that it has no relation to the Nazi party of the past, either literally, or in spirit? I don't care who said it...is the statement accurate? I'm challenging you to answer. Try to do it with facts rather then flippancy.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
The Good Reverend Roger The Good Reverend Roger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
The threat isn't defined by the response.

Our response has absolutely nothing to do with how appropriate any analogy might be. Tossing in how full of rainbows secular Iraq was really doesn't do anything to disprove the Nazi influence/ties/comparisons. Theocrats are not the problem, but theocrats with Final Solution goals are. Can you follow that, or do you hate your own government so much that we've lost you to an imaginary world of cognitive dissonance?
Ho ho! Because I disagree with Rumsfeld, I hate America? I guess disagreeing with the SecDef puts me smack into Berkeley with the hippies.

And I disagree. Theocrats ARE the problem, final solution goals or not. Theocracies are the absolute worst form of government that exists, both in terms of living conditions and civil liberties.

Scratch a theocrat, and you'll find a fanatic. And it is this fanaticism that causes "final solution" thinking, whether the fanatic be fascist, communist, or religious.
__________________
What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
The Good Reverend Roger The Good Reverend Roger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:22 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Reverend Roger
1. Same as usual. You'll notice that only about 1/3 of the ME gives a damn that we're in Iraq, for example.
If 1/3 of the "ME" thinks anything, we should probably pay attention to it.

That's a lot of people, despite what you might think about Arab feuds and in fighting.
So what? There's a hell of a lot of people in Laos, and we don't care what THEY think.

Fact: the ME is only our problem because we have CHOSEN to make it our problem. Afghanistan (remember them?) is a different ballgame, though, and rated a different response...a response which we half-assed.
__________________
What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:01 PM       
I agree with you on Afghanistan, however I think you're totally in the dark on the Middle East.

I mean, you acknowledge that like 9/11 happened, right? To argue that the Middle East wasn't a problem prior to Iraq is absurd.

Saudis create the propaganda, the Iranians and the Syrians fund it, and the Lebanese and the palestinians act upon it. It of course goes well beyond the Middle East, b/c Islamic extremists are causing trouble all around the world.

Where do they pray to?

You seem like a reasonable person to me, but you also strike me as the type who wants it boths ways. You acknowldge that there's a war on terrorism (perhaps?), but are unwilling to address the root causes. It's all a collection of uncontrolable, isolated incidents. Hey, we've always had terrorism, right? Hey, Arabs have always been killing each other right? A bomb goes of in Istanbul, a plot is foiled in England, and a critical film maker is executed in Holland. Hey, these are criminal matters conducted by isolated actors with no binding purpose. Yup yup.

You also at one point argued that Saddam Hussein was a secular ruler with no interest in Islamic terrorism (maybe not in this thread, but whatever). This is very false, and it's also intellectually dishonest. After all, I'm sure you're aware that Hussein compensated the families of suicide bombers in Palestine. He also used Islam as a political device, one that allowed him to present himself as the political leader of the faith, and the ruler of the stabilizing force in the ME. This is one of the reasons he built so many large and beautiful mosques there. One of them held a Koran written in his own blood, 28 liters donated over the course of two years. Quite the secularist, eh?

Maybe then you'll say "well, he had nothing to do with Al Qaeda". This is a more reasonable argument, but also not entirely accurate. Granted, the Bush admin. perhaps made it hard to explore any of the truthiness in this, b/c they pursued and exaggerated everything they could in order to connect the dots in the rush to war. However, this doesn't change the fact that even the 9/11 Report concedes that Iraqi agents met with Taliban officials in Afghanistan, and then with Bin Laden in 1998. Saddam was certainly weary of him, but that had more to do with Hussein's desire to patch things up with the Saudis at the time (p. 66 if you own the report). Yossef Bodansky also confirms these feelers in his book "Bin Laden: The man who declared war on America."

Is it so unlikely to you that Saddam would use thse terrorists were they ever to serve his purposes (sort of the way Iran uses Hezbollah)? Your claim that Iraq had absolutely nothing to do with terrorism and/or Al Qaeda is wrong on both counts. Iraq posed a threat to the entire Middle East, as well as their own suffering people.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
The Good Reverend Roger The Good Reverend Roger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:15 PM       
[quote="KevinTheOmnivore"]I agree with you on Afghanistan, however I think you're totally in the dark on the Middle East.

I mean, you acknowledge that like 9/11 happened, right? To argue that the Middle East wasn't a problem prior to Iraq is absurd.[/i]

Sure, parts of it were. I remember Beirut, for example. Putting that on par with 911 is wandering into hyperbole, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Saudis create the propaganda, the Iranians and the Syrians fund it, and the Lebanese and the palestinians act upon it. It of course goes well beyond the Middle East, b/c Islamic extremists are causing trouble all around the world.
Sure. I'm mostly interested in the ones that mess with us, though. I really couldn't care less about what happens in Gaza, or Indonesia, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Where do they pray to?
Mecca, Jerusalem, Medina, and Qum, in that order (though most only pray toward Mecca). What's that got to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
You seem like a reasonable person to me, but you also strike me as the type who wants it boths ways. You acknowldge that there's a war on terrorism (perhaps?),
Naw. I find it hard to take a war on a tactic seriously. That's like having a war on ambushes. I am more interested in destroying a particular group (Al Qaeda), and severely punishing another (the Taliban).


Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
but are unwilling to address the root causes. It's all a collection of uncontrolable, isolated incidents. Hey, we've always had terrorism, right? Hey, Arabs have always been killing each other right? A bomb goes of in Istanbul, a plot is foiled in England, and a critical film maker is executed in Holland. Hey, these are criminal matters conducted by isolated actors with no binding purpose. Yup yup.
I think you're giving them FAR too much organizational credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
You also at one point argued that Saddam Hussein was a secular ruler with no interest in Islamic terrorism (maybe not in this thread, but whatever). This is very false, and it's also intellectually dishonest. After all, I'm sure you're aware that Hussein compensated the families of suicide bombers in Palestine. He also used Islam as a political device, one that allowed him to present himself as the political leader of the faith, and the ruler of the stabilizing force in the ME. This is one of the reasons he built so many large and beautiful mosques there. One of them held a Koran written in his own blood, 28 liters donated over the course of two years. Quite the secularist, eh?
*shrug* So he knew how to throw the propaganda. He really wasn't fooling anyone that didn't want to be fooled. You might notice the number of Muslim nations that signed up to fight him in the gulf war.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Maybe then you'll say "well, he had nothing to do with Al Qaeda". This is a more reasonable argument, but also not entirely accurate. Granted, the Bush admin. perhaps made it hard to explore any of the truthiness in this, b/c they pursued and exaggerated everything they could in order to connect the dots in the rush to war. However, this doesn't change the fact that even the 9/11 Report concedes that Iraqi agents met with Taliban officials in Afghanistan, and then with Bin Laden in 1998. Saddam was certainly weary of him, but that had more to do with Hussein's desire to patch things up with the Saudis at the time (p. 66 if you own the report). Yossef Bodansky also confirms these feelers in his book "Bin Laden: The man who declared war on America."
It's been quite a while since I've read through the 911 report. I'll have to re-read it and get back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Iraq posed a threat to the entire Middle East, as well as their own suffering people.
I don't doubt that. I just don't care.
__________________
What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Reply With Quote
  #71  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Reverend Roger
Mecca, Jerusalem, Medina, and Qum, in that order (though most only pray toward Mecca). What's that got to do with anything?
Apparently nothing. If we just capture Bin Laden and stopthe Taliban, it'll all come to an end, right?

Quote:
Naw. I find it hard to take a war on a tactic seriously. That's like having a war on ambushes. I am more interested in destroying a particular group (Al Qaeda), and severely punishing another (the Taliban).
So wait, a war on a tactic is silly, but a war on two monolithic organizations will solve the whole problem? I want to catch Bin Laden and the gang just as bad as you do, but "Al Qaeda n Iraq" and "Al Qaeda in England" need Bin Laden at this point like Microsoft needs Bill Gates. Al Qaeda has become a franchise like Subway, and all you need to do now is kill infidels and hate Israel/America/the West in order to carry the banner. You have me all wrong. While I do believe there is a binding philosophy that makes them a potentially dangerous coordinated threat, it's there anarchic character that makes them so dangerous.

But there [i]are[/] sources. There are intellectual sources, as well as financial sources. And these actors are organized, well funded, and driven.


Quote:
*shrug* So he knew how to throw the propaganda. He really wasn't fooling anyone that didn't want to be fooled. You might notice the number of Muslim nations that signed up to fight him in the gulf war.
Bin Laden helped fortify Saudi Arabia's borders against Saddam during the Gulf War. Less than a decade later he was talking to agents from his country. Ya know, the enemy of my enemy, etc.

You put far too much faith in things you consider to be absolute, like alliances and clans. The story of the Middle East is full of strange bed fellows dealing with what were perceived as greater threats at the time.

Saddam was an opportunist and a mad man. The fact that he could care less in reality about Islam only enhances the likelihood that he'd exploit it for its violent potential in my mind.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
The Good Reverend Roger The Good Reverend Roger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Good Reverend Roger
Mecca, Jerusalem, Medina, and Qum, in that order (though most only pray toward Mecca). What's that got to do with anything?
Apparently nothing. If we just capture Bin Laden and stopthe Taliban, it'll all come to an end, right?

Quote:
Naw. I find it hard to take a war on a tactic seriously. That's like having a war on ambushes. I am more interested in destroying a particular group (Al Qaeda), and severely punishing another (the Taliban).
So wait, a war on a tactic is silly, but a war on two monolithic organizations will solve the whole problem? I want to catch Bin Laden and the gang just as bad as you do, but "Al Qaeda n Iraq" and "Al Qaeda in England" need Bin Laden at this point like Microsoft needs Bill Gates. Al Qaeda has become a franchise like Subway, and all you need to do now is kill infidels and hate Israel/America/the West in order to carry the banner. You have me all wrong. While I do believe there is a binding philosophy that makes them a potentially dangerous coordinated threat, it's there anarchic character that makes them so dangerous.

But there [i]are[/] sources. There are intellectual sources, as well as financial sources. And these actors are organized, well funded, and driven.


Quote:
*shrug* So he knew how to throw the propaganda. He really wasn't fooling anyone that didn't want to be fooled. You might notice the number of Muslim nations that signed up to fight him in the gulf war.
Bin Laden helped fortify Saudi Arabia's borders against Saddam during the Gulf War. Less than a decade later he was talking to agents from his country. Ya know, the enemy of my enemy, etc.

You put far too much faith in things you consider to be absolute, like alliances and clans. The story of the Middle East is full of strange bed fellows dealing with what were perceived as greater threats at the time.

Saddam was an opportunist and a mad man. The fact that he could care less in reality about Islam only enhances the likelihood that he'd exploit it for its violent potential in my mind.
See, here is where we differ. You want to "solve" the problem (good luck with that). I just want revenge. Hell, had we dealt with Afghanistan properly, the Muslims would have found someone else to play with.

Lord Kitchener said it best: "The Arab is at your feet or at your throat."
__________________
What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 10:52 PM       
There will always be a Taliban, there will always be a Bin Laden. We will be dealing with violent, anti-western Islamic extremism long after these two things expire, unless we do something about it.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
The Good Reverend Roger The Good Reverend Roger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 11:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
There will always be a Taliban, there will always be a Bin Laden. We will be dealing with violent, anti-western Islamic extremism long after these two things expire, unless we do something about it.
We had a chance to do something about it, with the world's blessings.

So naturally, we screwed it up. Instead of making an example out of Afghanistan, we let ourselves get distracted.
__________________
What can we do to help you stop screaming?
Reply With Quote
  #75  
KevinTheOmnivore KevinTheOmnivore is offline
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 11:16 PM       
How is it that a Taliban free Afghanistan would serve as an example, but a Saddam free Iraq means nothing?

Afghanistan was a vessel. It could've just as easily been Sudan, maybe even Indonesia.

I think your focus on soil and brand names is misguided.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

   


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 AM.


© 2008 I-Mockery.com
Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.