Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:10 PM        Would this be in poor taste?
A friend of mine and I have been tossing around the idea of coauthoring a book on growing up in a broken home with an alcoholic parent. This book would consist mainly of stories from our childhood and adolescent years presented with a sometimes slightly humerous take on the situation. These stories would encompass the good the bad and the ugly of how it was for both of us.
The idea is to show that even though at the time it was a nightmare, that it is those exact situations that helped us to become who we are today. And that no matter how bad it was, we can look back and ocassionaly find humor in how things were.

We've been thinking about this for years, but it seemed somehow wrong to seriously consider it with her alcoholic mother still alive. However, now that both mine and hers have passed away (may they be happier now then they were before) the idea seems somewhat less cruel.

My question to you is....

Would this be in poor taste?
Or would Oprah be praising us for our strength and courage? (God forbid....that woman irks me)
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:14 PM       
I don't see it as being in poor taste at all.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 01:28 PM       
Don't worry too much about being politically correct. There are already a ton of serious clinical and/or social books on the subject. Maybe somebody out there needs this kind of perspective to learn just as much someone else might need the serious treatment of it. Allow me to use an analogy. Have you ever been taught a certain aspect of a subject in school, say mathematics, and the teacher just couldn't get the idea through but later a peer of yours explains the exact same idea and you get it . I think the same could be said of the psychologists and psychiatrist in this situation. Although they may be academically brilliant and have had the experience of many clients, they may not have the perspective of "being there" that you have; or, it's been so long since their experience that they're no longer the peers of their reading audience and can't relate to them anymore.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 02:16 PM       
I'll only support this endeavour if I get a signed first edition hardcover when you're done. . .

But, on an equally serious note, I wish you luck with it. My grandfather used to be big on table manners, so before we took anything from the centre of the table we had to ask first, politely. If we didn't, his fork would come down like the avenging lightening bolt of Zeus in an attempt to impale out hands to the table for our uncouth barbaric behaviour. The moral of this story is that violence is affective in instructing small children! Remember that as you write
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:16 PM       
The big question when writting autobiographically, even if names are changed and composite character are created, is: Who's still alive that you care about?

Past that, if you haven't read "The Nanny Diaries", you should for research. It was written by two women, composited from a collection of experiences but it was obviously authenitic. It's funny, awful and scathing at the same time and never preachy. Beyond research, I think you'd enjoy it. I did.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 04:57 PM        LOL
Must add to reading list......
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:02 PM       
If you start this project, I'd be happy to offer any consultation that could prove helpful.

One of my freelance jobs right now is editting a manuscript for a book version of an award winning one woman show. It is HIGHLY autobiographical and this raises many difficulties with people possibly taking offense. and when the truth of an event doesn't serve the story you are writting. It's a fascinating and frustrating set of hurdles.
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 05:07 PM        YAY
Thanks! If we decide to do this I will probably take you up on it.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Apr 30th, 2003, 09:22 PM       
I wouldn't think it'd be in bad taste at all. I think it'd make an interesting read for those of us who've had the experience but not the patience to write and talk about something to this effect.

Good luck with it.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:18 AM       
If you are going to write the book, know how to promote it. Trust me, "My Life Sucked" books are usually not a top priority on people's reading lists. You want to write with a style that makes people not want to put down the book. You want them to make sure their friends read it, so their friends know how much the original reader got of the book.

All in all, you have to do it in a unique way that people can relate to and feel confortable with. If all the book does is come across as someone that is whining about their childhood with a few humorous quips here and there, they would rather just listen to rap-rock music, because it does the same thing but it has a catchy tune behind it.

And thats my two cents.
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:18 AM       
"You want to write with a style that makes people not want to put down the book."

As oopposed to writing with style that makes people want to shut the book or ask for their money back. Historically, those styles have prove unsuccsesful.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:28 AM        Book
I actually can't stand the "My life sucked" victim compex. It makes me sick. Take some f'n responsibility for your own life. Sure things happened to you, and sure they may have sucked, but letting them drag you down serves no purpose other than self pity. (People with clinical depression and the like are of course excluded.) I know my "get over it" attitude upsets a lot of people, but I see no reason to dwell on things once you have moved beyond them. Sure, my mom was a drunk. Sure, my family life was absolute shit. Sure, we were poor welfare children. Sure, most of my mom's boyfreinds were the most reprehensible people on Earth. But using any of that as an excuse for what I do today, 20 years later, is just that. An excuse. Kind of like using God to justify your morality. Do it because YOU think it is right not because anyone or anything else does.
I realize that my past helped shape who I am today. Gave me perspective. But we all have that turning point. Come to that crossroads. That moment when you can either be a victim or you can move on. (I don't use the term survivor - A survior generally survives with a lot of luck and very little decision whereas you can chose to be a victim or move on.) I chose to move on. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why so many people don't.
Sometimes I think I am just wired different.......

What I really want to write about are the more humerous events. My mom making meatloaf naked in the middle of the kitchen floor drunk as can be. While the illegal immigrant babysitter, my two very young sisters and I stood in the livingroom watching and eating popcorn. No lie....eating popcorn. (The long version of this has actually made people cry they were laughing so hard)
But to give it some balance, I'll have to talk about some of the bad times too. I don't want people to think I am some insensitive freak.

I just want people to understand that sometimes you can laugh at the past. Especially once you have moved on and gained the perspective that age and hindsight lend to memory.

Old May 1st, 2003, 11:38 AM       
That is good, Vibe. You would be able to shed another light on an interesting yet unfortuante cirumstance that happens all too often today.

As I was saying before Max took time out from eating Motza ball soup to throw an insult the best thing about your book is going to be how you market it. You can have the new Bible in your head, but if no one wants to read it, then you are screwed before you write the first word.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:39 AM       
You say 'insensative freak' like it's a bad thing.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:42 AM        lol
In your case Max......

I wouldn't have ya any other way.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:48 AM       
You know what I love about being me?

To some, I am an 'insensative freak', but the good kind.

To others, I am a pantywaste, bleeding heart, liberal 'pussy'.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:53 AM        :)
Vince -

I'm not sure how to market it yet. All I know is NO OPRAH.
Old May 1st, 2003, 11:54 AM        Pussy
That's okay Max. I'm bi so the pussy thing just makes me you all the more.
Mocker

Old May 1st, 2003, 11:55 AM        Re: :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibecrewangel
Vince -

I'm not sure how to market it yet. All I know is NO OPRAH.
Ahhh ... c'mon ... I can see ya on the Oprah Book Of The Month Club as we speak.

Daphne is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:01 PM       
It's matzo ball soup, Vince.
If you're going to be anti-semitic can you at least take the time to get the jargon right so you don't just come off like some toothless Grand Wizard?
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:06 PM        Book o' da month
Egads......and I can just hear her with her so-fake-it-hurts sympathy saying things like "Your are so strong" and "You have so much courage"

Makes me wanna barf. (Yes I said barf so :P )

I'm not strong, it wasn't courage. It was just the way things were. It was life.
Mocker

Old May 1st, 2003, 12:17 PM       
No doubt she'd seize it as an opportunity for personal growth, enlightenment, and empowerment for all those that faced the struggle ... terrific summer read! ... and miss the point of the book completely. :/

Old May 1st, 2003, 12:44 PM       
Jonathan Franzen, he who dissed Oprah, was my Brother's college roomate.

Old May 1st, 2003, 12:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne
It's matzo ball soup, Vince.
If you're going to be anti-semitic can you at least take the time to get the jargon right so you don't just come off like some toothless Grand Wizard?
Shouldn't you be barefoot and in the kitchen making me a sirloin steak with all the trimmings?
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:49 PM       
Shouldn't you be desperately trying to straighten your spine so your head comes out of your ass?