Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:48 PM        Soviets Tried To Kill Pope

ROME - An Italian parliamentary commission has concluded "beyond any reasonable doubt" that the Soviet Union was behind the 1981 shooting of
Pope John Paul II, the first time an official body has blamed the Kremlin for the failed assassination.
ADVERTISEMENT

The draft report, obtained by The Associated Press Thursday, said the pope was considered a threat to the Soviet bloc because of his support for the Solidarity labor movement in his native Poland. Solidarity was the first free trade union in communist eastern Europe.

The Italian report said Soviet military intelligence — and not the KGB — was responsible. Russian Foreign Intelligence Service spokesman Boris Labusov called the accusation "absurd."

It is not surprising to most anyone that the USSR would assassinate even the most revered world leaders who opposed their repressive policies; it is just further evidence of the hardline that the Communists took, and their foolish Realpolitik that would have them disregard even the most basic human rights that people have.

Naturally, the Russians will deny that they were ever involved in the plot to kill one of the most revered leaders of our time, but I think that most people have a healthy idea of where the truth actually lays.