Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:09 AM        Nintendo Revolution controller REVEALED!
http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651320p1.html

Link to an article...

http://cube.ign.com/articles/651/651224p1.html
Possibilities for gaming...

All in all, I am hopeful. Imagine the real-time sword fighting in Zelda!
Marc Summers is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:12 AM       
Ewwww when really fat people play it you have to watch their arms jiggle
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:24 AM       
just when I had hope for Nintendo :<
Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:31 AM       
I think it could be good. Just give it time. This is actually perfect for FPS games.
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:34 AM       
I guess I'm getting the PS3.
Quote:
Popular Examples: Pokemon, Final Fantasy, EarthBound, Paper Mario
Damnit Nintendo
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:42 AM       
video of the controller:
http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html

I'm extremely excited about it actually... glad this wasn't just some rumor about how the controllers were gonna be. Looks soooo nice.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:44 AM       
HOW IN THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY SUPER METROID AND LINK TO THE PAST WITH THAT!!!!

on the Plus side they may yet double as a set of minin nunchucks
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:45 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
This is actually perfect for FPS games.
Sure. Not "keyboard and mouse" perfect, but still kinda perfect.

...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:06 AM       
I don't like the idea of actually having to move my entire arm to make things happen on-screen. I really hope they can do something with this, I really do.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, but for something like this to work it has to...be perfect. The Revolution was the pony I'm betting on, but this...this is almost a dealbreaker.
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:15 AM       
I've already thrown in my bet for the X-Box 360.

Seems like to much work for video games with those Nintendo controllers.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:39 AM       
I'm drunk. Gimme the jist of that,

And yeah, xbox 360 will kick ass.

That was very funny. Well done.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:57 AM       
I'm excited, my only bitch is that Nintendo consoles don't tend to carry the games that I like these days :<
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:26 AM       
its very nice, and the games developed for it will be cool, but your average-joe developer will think this

joe1:"only 4 buttons? how can we make NFL07 with that?"
joe2:"and we need to use the wavy-gyro-whatist"
joe3:"just heavily cut down the game, and use the gyro thing to control a cursor in a menu or something"

...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 06:36 AM       
Yeah, I think that Nintendo is really digging their own grave for the third-party support. You can put Madden on X-Box 360, you can put it on PS3, but...

Nintendo better have an ace up their sleeve, because if they're relying on star power, downloadable content and a complete innovation, I don't think they'll last long.

I think this isn't really going to be in competition as much as the PS3 and X-Box 360 are, in that I think the Revolution will establish itself as more of a "party system", like they were trying to make Gamecube out to be with the 4-player and GBA functionalities.
Marine is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 07:00 AM       
just one word about the controller... Nooooooo!
Stak is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 10:36 AM       
I like the new controller, it opens up a lot of new possibilities. If a developer doesn't like it, they can just make their own attachment for it!

Also: I've heard the idea thrown around that it may be possible to put this thing in a "shell" of sorts to make a more traditional-style controller, kind of like putting a VMU in a Dreamcast controller.
Marc Summers is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stak
I like the new controller, it opens up a lot of new possibilities. If a developer doesn't like it, they can just make their own attachment for it!

Also: I've heard the idea thrown around that it may be possible to put this thing in a "shell" of sorts to make a more traditional-style controller, kind of like putting a VMU in a Dreamcast controller.
So not only would you have to buy the controller, you have to buy a specific attachment for it if you want to play a certain type of game. Third-party developers making controller attachments for their own games would get VERY costly VERY quickly.
Stak is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stak

So not only would you have to buy the controller, you have to buy a specific attachment for it if you want to play a certain type of game. Third-party developers making controller attachments for their own games would get VERY costly VERY quickly.
I'm wondering how Nintendo is going to address this, too. I mean, they did say they want to make their games "more accessible".

Maybe there aren't going to be a lot of attachments. Iwata said that the analog stick one would probably come with the controller, so that's taken care of.

Maybe if a game uses a new attachment, it comes with the game? Maybe they've found a way to make them ridiculously cheap? I don't know.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM       
How the hell is this gonna work for Super Smash Brothers Online?
Puddle Pirate! ARRRR!
DamnthatDavid is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:37 PM       
Come on guys! This thing is going to be the next big hit!
It going to be as popular as the Vitural Boy and has handy as the power glove!
Mike P is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 02:39 PM       
Perhaps this is just some elaborate ruse on Nintendo's part to trick the competition? Miyamoto has said in the past that he didn't want to reveal the controller for fear of idea-theft. So what better way to get past this then to introduce a fake controller?

I really hope they package a REAL controller with the system, one with the a, b, and start buttons. It's not a Nintendo controller without those three buttons.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:30 PM       
How are you supposed to hit all the buttons on this thing? I'm assuming you have your hand wrapped around it, with your thumb on the d-pad and your index finger on the B-button on the back. Are you supposed to curl your remaining fingers around and use them to hit the other buttons, or what?

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 03:38 PM       
Someone posted this elsewhere and I thought you guys might be interested in it...

Quote:
From The Chaosengine

Here's an initial FAQ. More tomorrow.

So what did you play?

I played the Retro-fitted version of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

And ...?

It played far better than the original controls. Turning and aiming were instantaneous. Control was absolutely precise.

At a certain point during the demo, one of our designers did a double-jump over a gap and spun a full 180 degrees in midair before landing on the opposite side. When I saw this my arm literally started shaking and had to grab and squeeze the cup holder on my theater seat like Doctor Strangelove to hold my arm steady.

Then he circle-strafed around a Space Pirate.

Yes, circle-strafed.

In Metroid Prime 2.

And that's without target-locking.

How were the controls set up?

It was set up in the "nunchaku" configuration described in the article. On the left controller, the thumbstick controlled player movement, the upper trigger button was assigned to visor-switching, and the lower trigger was assigned to the "scan" function and locking onto a target. On the right controller, the controller itself moved the player's gun independently of the player's view (yes, you could fire at any point on the screen without changing the player view -- the gun tilted to face toward the aim point), the trigger button fired the gun, and three of the buttons controlled jumping, firing missiles, and switching to morphball mode.

How does it compare to a mouse?

From what I experienced, it seemed to be more precise than a mouse, but it's also much faster because it requires only a much smaller movement of the hand to achieve the desired effect. You just instantly point the controller at any part of the screen and bam!, that's where you're looking.

There is no lag.

There is no error.

It took a while to get used to the idea of how little effort is required to play a game with this controller. I kept wanting to lean forward and move the controller closer to the screen, and it took some practice to just sit back and just calmly move my hand ever so slightly.

At one point, someone said, "If you were to play a game with this against someone using a mouse, they'd have no chance against you." I had to admit it was true.

I've been using a mouse and keyboard for gaming for almost as long as I've been a gamer. I've logged over 80 hours so far in Battlefield 2 and I have a level 60 World of WarCraft character. If somebody had tried to tell me before now that a better controller would come along, I would have laughed at them.

But it only took me 5 minutes with the Revolution controller to realize that I don't need to use a mouse ever again.

Let's take a first-person shooter as an example. With a flick of the wrist, you can completely change your aim point from one corner of the screen to the other. Changing your aim point that way would require you to move a mouse all the way across a gamepad and could potentially take up to several seconds of pushing on a thumbstick with a standard console game controller.

Add to that the fact that the controller can correctly interpret roll (rotation of the controller clockwise and counterclockwise) and movement toward the screen or away from it, and you start to get an idea of the universe of new gameplay possibilities that Revolution games will be able to explore.

Gizzard: I would worry that if its in any way sloppily implemented, it will suck bigtime.

No worries in that category. If there was any sloppiness whatsoever, I didn't see it.

I do not expect to be using any other controllers ever again once the Revolution comes out.

The Angriest Smurf: This is cool as a novelty, but how does this lend itself to extended play sessions?

Try it yourself. Then see if you can still call it a novelty.

Trust me, I was very skeptical going into this. That skepticism is gone.

The Angriest Smurf: Could you imagine playing an FPS for over an hour with this without your hands getting tired?

Hell yeah, brother.

I often play Battlefield 2 for up to 3-4 hours in an evening (yes, I'm an addict), and after 10 minutes with the Revolution I'm ready to throw my mouse out the window for good.

When you take into account that the Revolution controller is very light (it seemed to me a bit lighter than I'd expect a TV remote of the same size) and that it's basically effortless to play with it, extended play sessions are a non-issue.

EvaUnit02: My concern is with playing today's standard genres of games. How do I play a racing game? Do I spin the controller around like a steering wheel?

That would be one way to do it.

Given the number of buttons available in the "nunchaku" configuration, combined with the tilt/rotate/push/pull aspects of the controller, I can't think of a game you couldn't easily adapt to the Revolution controller.

EvaUnit02: It's just not going to work.

I have played it. It works brilliantly.

So now that you've played it, what kinds of things do you think are possible with it that weren't possible before?

Off the top of my head:

A tennis game where your motions control the racket directly, and you never have to press a button the entire game.

A Harry Potter game where you can control Harry Potter's magic wand with the Revolution controller, and cast "Expelliarmus" with a few flicks of the wand.

... and where you steer your Quidditch broom just by steering your controller.

A boat racing game that lets you steer entirely by rotating the controller clockwise and counterclockwise.

A fencing game where you can slash, parry, and stab with the controller.

A Nintendogs game that lets you pet your dogs, pull on a leash, or throw a frisbee with the Revolution controller.

A real-time strategy game ... yes, on a console.

Furthermore, I want this RTS game to have a special cargo helicopter unit. Move the controller forward, and the cargo chopper descends and grabs hold of a tank sitting underneath it. Pull the controller toward you, and the cargo chopper lifts the tank into the air. Then you tilt the controller wherever, and the chopper flies over there, and you move the controller forward a bit to lower the tank to the ground again.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 04:06 PM       
That sounds like a hoax to me. Either that or the guy they interviewed wasn't too bright. How could one button be assigned to visor and beam switching without fagging up the game? If you were in the middle of fighting some enemy that you needed to use the Echo visor or a certain beam on, you would have to cycle through 2 other visors/beams before you got to it. And if you screwed up and pressed the button one too many times, you would have to cycle all the way back through the menu to get to the proper item. And by that time, you've already lost an energy tank. This controller effectively turns MP2 into Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicals.

Furthermore, the Metroid Primes weren't supposed to play like shooters. They were more like the 3D Zelda games, except with guns and a first-person view.

And when this guy said having to push the joystick for several seconds on a console controller to aim sucked, it became apparent to me that he only plays slow, shitty, low-quality shooters like MoH: Frontline, or he plays his games with the thumbstick sensitivity and look speed on the lowest setting.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 04:10 PM       
Though it does sound a bit like he's gushing or getting some sort of benefit for exaggerating, i don't really have trouble believeing that it plays like this. I'm surprised it wasn't done on Gamecube, honestly. I look forward to playing Metroid Prime on the Revolution without ever really having to move my hands. Not that i do anyway, but it's a cool idea, to have your hands totally separate while playing something engaging like that. It's got a lot of possibilities and if developers get the technology down, it could become a very cool feature.