Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM        The Universe
Black holes freak me out. The kind of freak out like when you think about how rare it is for you to be born at all.

I think about the rubber sheet thing and how gravity bends light, so how does a black hole fit into that.
Forum Virgin
MacLeon is probably a spambot
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM       
Kind of makes you wonder about that whole "there are no stupid questions" theory. Perhaps no stupid questions, just people in general. However I digress.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 07:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeon View Post
Kind of makes you wonder about that whole "there are no stupid questions" theory. Perhaps no stupid questions, just people in general. However I digress.
__
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 1st, 2008, 08:00 PM       
:applause
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 08:24 AM       
Ooh, good retort. Don't have an answer to THAT, do you Mcfaggy font formatter.
He speaks truth!
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 01:39 PM       
That guy totally stole from Mr Garrison (and by extention, Trey Parker). JOKE THIEF.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Black holes freak me out. The kind of freak out like when you think about how rare it is for you to be born at all.

I think about the rubber sheet thing and how gravity bends light, so how does a black hole fit into that.
Considering the escape velocity might be helpful - for a black hole, it is greater than the speed of light.

As far as the rubber sheet goes, black holes can be inferred by how far light is bent by intervening galaxies, a phenomenon called gravitational lensing. It's how we can estimate the masses of galaxies, and hence infer the presence of black holes, and other forms of dark matter.

I hope this is helpful.
You may already be there.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:15 PM       
That is awesome Colonel Flagg I got this off of Wiki when I googled Gravitational lensing.

This is a simulation of gravitational lensing caused by a Schwartzschild black hole passing in front of a background galaxy. A secondary image of the galaxy can be seen within the black hole's Einstein radius on the side opposite the galaxy. The secondary image grows (remaining within the Einstein ring) as the primary image approaches the black hole. The surface brightness of the two images remains constant, but their angular sizes vary, hence producing an amplification of the galaxy luminosity as seen by a distant observer. Maximum amplification occurs when the galaxy (or in this case a bright part of it) is exactly behind the black hole.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM       
Ain't science wunnerful!
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 10:50 AM       
I saw an awesome Stephen Hawking Black Hole Theory documentary discussing the event horizon and the possibilities of traversing a black hole the other day at work. I love the Science Channel.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:13 PM       
I haven't seen that, I'm going to have to look for that. I just heard about white holes for the first time yesterday.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM       
White holes huh?
Frosted doughnut middles don't count when it comes to science, mister.

Seriously though, I'd have to agree with Hawking that a white hole and a black hole would probably be connected in the possibility that a black hole is an entrance to a worm hole and a white hole would be an exit.

The documentary I saw was pretty neat. It talked about if you saw someone walking into a black hole their image would look "smeared" because of time slowing or stopping in the event horizon.

Badastronomy.com is a GREAT science forum/site/blog that discusses alot of these things. I'm really not very good at physics but I've taken a sharp interest in Astrobiology lately.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM       
I've never been able to wrap my mind around the whole "Universe is shaped like a Doughnut" thing
autistic licence
sloth is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM       
i kind of like to imagine how these cutting edge ideas might sound like to people in five hundred years time. i mean they sound so revolutionary now, but then some copernican revolution comes along and suddenly theyre antiquated and laughable.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
I've never been able to wrap my mind around the whole "Universe is shaped like a Doughnut" thing
It gets even more mind-bending (pardon the pun) when you consider that the "torus" (fancy math word for "doughnut") is really 4-dimensional, with axes representing the three spatial dimensions and time.

(Sorry CIG, just read your post for comprehension.)

Don't get me started on wormholes, that would be too freaky!

Science fiction meets science fact? Maybe .....

Last edited by Colonel Flagg : Mar 7th, 2008 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Removed redundant material
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:34 PM       
man what if there was another universe shaped like a cup of coffee and our universe collided with it
after enough bourbon ...
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore Is God View Post
The documentary I saw was pretty neat. It talked about if you saw someone walking into a black hole their image would look "smeared" because of time slowing or stopping in the event horizon.
Except that the "smearing" would be real, since the tidal forces from a black hole would tear a person limb from limb. Ouch.

Relativity is one of my favorite subjects.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by executioneer View Post
man what if there was another universe shaped like a cup of coffee and our universe collided with it
Breakfast!
OH GOD
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM       
and what if there was a universe shaped liek a police officer
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM       
http://books.google.com/books?id=08X...DZZK-o#PPA3,M1

I like that explanation of the fourth dimension

BUT CAN AN INSTANTANEOUS CUBE EXIST?
Egg
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:32 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post

BUT CAN AN INSTANTANEOUS CUBE EXIST?
Not in my teacup it can't.
Bitch is gonna dissolve.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 01:53 AM       
BITCH CANT EVEN EXIST
Egg
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM       
Found something for ya Tad:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2_vpEyE6r...B4B61B&index=0
Parallel universes.

This guy has some great programs. The Super Massive Black Holes program is very good.
http://youtube.com/user/NGC6822
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 03:57 PM       
USA! USA! USA!
ChicagoDrew is probably a spambot
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM       
Anyone watching the awesome 'The Universe' series on History Channel? They've got like 20+ shows, each devoted to a very small portion of space-related topics. For example, they'll cover quasars, not just 'all the damn things in space,' lol.

Two episodes air every Tuesday with limited repeats. It's GREAT in HD too.