Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 01:13 PM        Film Fans Make Bush 'Movie Villain of the Year'
(Reuters) President Bush may see himself as defender of democracy and compassionate conservatism but British film fans have voted him "Movie Villain of the Year."

The American "Axis of Evil" fighter is wooing voters with security pledges ahead of the presidential election next week, but it was Bush's role in Michael Moore's anti-war film "Fahrenheit 9/11" that won him the villainous title.

In a poll for Total Film magazine, the U.S. leader fought off competition from such well-known baddies as atomic scientist Doctor Octopus from "Spider-Man 2" and fellow Texan Leatherface from "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre."

"The overwhelming response of our readers voting Bush top villain just goes to show how frightening people found him in Fahrenheit 9/11," Total Film's editor Matt Mueller told Reuters.

"He was absolutely terrifying in that film. The infamous scene where he's informed about the Twin Towers attack while visiting a school, and sits there absolutely paralyzed, is enough to strike fear into anyone's heart," he said.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:04 PM       
isnt the president is allowed to be shocked at a major terrorist attack, i mean i bet micheal moore spent the first 7 minutes after he heard about it devising amazing ways to make money.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 05:18 PM       
I honestly don't think it's important enough to make an issue of it, though I haven't ever actually seen the footage myself.

But 7 minutes is a ridiculously long time. 5 minutes is a long time too. You'd expect the leader of the country to spend maybe one minute staring or tearing his hair out before he at least gets up and starts asking questions to his staff to assess the situation.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 06:15 PM       
for all we know the secret service guy told him to look calm and ack like nothing was wrong. he was in front of a bunch of children, after all.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 11:39 PM       
He should of reacted faster but I do not think its as big of an issue as people and Moore make it.
Mocker
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 11:52 PM       
I do like the fact that I'm voting for someone that frightens the british more than a chainsaw weilding serial killer.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 07:40 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
for all we know the secret service guy told him to look calm and ack like nothing was wrong. he was in front of a bunch of children, after all.
True, again, not having seen the footage, I assume someone came up to him and whispered stuff in his ear, he may well have been told to just sit there and wait while his people went off accumulating information.

While my opinion of Bush isn't high, I doubt anyone short of a mentally retarded person or a druggie could sit and do practically nothing for 5-7 minutes.
Striped Tomato
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 11:15 AM       
[center:b22e22a648]

"America's under attack. Now sit tight, bitch!"[/center:b22e22a648]
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 11:41 AM       
I've never said (or really) thought anything about this seven minute scandal. So it's about time.

Decisions get made without the President. Even when he tells people to do something, they were probably already about to do it or they already know it's a dumb order so they'll go back to what they were doing anyway.

It doesn't matter what GWB does in response to a crisis, as long as he doesn't get up and run around in circles screaming "OH SHIT WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!". It's not his job to fix the crisis. That's what the enormous number of non-public (non-politician) government employees is for. I doubt that Dubya gave or even had an opportunity to give a single effective and necessary executive order regarding the attacks for several hours afterward, assuming he has ever done so at all. His job is just to sit there and look calm and sane (1 for 2 is a pretty good batting average, right?) until his PR people tell him which arm to wave in which direction and which word to attempt to pronounce correctly.
Mocker
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 12:28 PM       
Actually, it's documented fact that Cheney was giving the important orders, like clearance for USAF fighter pilots to shoot down any other planes that did not respond to radio.

It's also fact that this is an authority of the President, and Cheney was overstepping his authority (not that I really fault him).

So in that respect, it actually was W's duty to fix the crisis (using his authority as command in chief of the US Armed Forces). There are certain powers that are solely reserved by the President and not any civil servant in the White House.
Ricky Glue is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:37 PM       
Bush should just be kciked in the nuts somewhere between 3-672 times.

What pokemon are YOU?
Mocker
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 02:47 PM       
At $200 a kick, he could pay off his tax cut deficit in no time!

dreaddi is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:58 PM       
Well it wasn't as if he was staring off into space drooling. It did look as if something was going on in his mind.

But idk I guess he was just thinking about his ranch and golfing lol
Mocker
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:37 PM       
And his ties to the Saudi royal family!

CastroMotorOil is probably a spambot
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 12:51 PM       
You all realize that when he was first told that plane crashed into the trade center everyone thought it was a horrible accident right? What do you want him to do, fight the goddamned fire? he is the president, and he can't go into emergency mode every time a trajedy happens. Plane crashes occur, no one has critizied a president before for not immediately shouting out orders and putting the country on a lockdown. Once the second plane hit the started puttign things into motion since it was clear this was no accident.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 01:15 PM       
A plane crashing, and a plane crashing into a building full of people in the middle of a densely populated metropolis aren't the same thing.
Striped Tomato
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 02:10 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroMotorOil
You all realize that when he was first told that plane crashed into the trade center everyone thought it was a horrible accident right?
Wrong. Pres. Moron first thought it was an unfortunate accident, while former Pres. Bubba knew right away it was bin Laden's terrrorist group.

CastroMotorOil is probably a spambot
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 04:50 PM       
Quote:
Wrong. Pres. Moron first thought it was an unfortunate accident, while former Pres. Bubba knew right away it was bin Laden's terrrorist group.
And what would you have had Bush do? Besides, Clinton's opinion is irrelevent in thsi situation since i don't think there was some guy interviewing clinton in the 7 minutes after the first plane hit the tower.

FS, yes they are a different thing, but while terrible on its own it did not warrant immediate presidential invovlement.
TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 05:06 PM       
Quote:
And what would you have had Bush do?
How about anything?

The message was delivered after the second plane hit. The message was: "America is under attack." The response was: sit for 7 minutes. It doesn't matter what he could or could not have accomplished in those seven minutes; what it does is signify the character of the man who is the president. In the nuclear age (and remember that part of Tony Blair's whole sell on the Iraq war was that they had missles that could hit Britian in 45 minutes) so when we live in an age where it supposedly only takes a matter of MINUTES for a nuclear missle to reach its target the first correct response to the message "The country is under attack" would be to stand up and do something. Ask a question. Consul your advisor. Get on your plane. Do something.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 05:07 PM       
oh if only bush had did something in those 7 minutes maybe the damage would have instantly reversed itself and those responciple would turn themselves over and everyone would live in magic gumdrop land.

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 06:05 PM       
"no one has critizied a president before for not immediately shouting out orders and putting the country on a lockdown."

Cept the president with his, "WE CANT HAVE A FLIP FLOPPER FOR PRESIDENT, HE HAS TO BE ABLE TO TAKE IMMEDIATE ACTION" yada yada. He's his own worse enemy!

After the attack, my mom woke me up to tell me, and i went back to sleep. Took 30 seconds, top. Now I'M presidential material.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 12:43 AM       
How can kerry be so indecisive and the most liberal senator in the world at the same time?

BeoulvE is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 12:46 AM       
CANADA ALL THE WAY...Canada never has these little President fights...
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 03:08 AM       
Yes we do you raging homosexual.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 10:28 AM       
Movie villain of the year? Fucking gay.