Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 11:44 AM        "Oops. I thought I are smart": Rumsfeld
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Mar29.html

Report: Rumseld Ignored Pentagon Advice on Iraq

Reuters
Saturday, March 29, 2003; 5:33 PM

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld repeatedly rejected advice from Pentagon planners that substantially more troops and armor would be needed to fight a war in Iraq, New Yorker Magazine reported.

In an article for its April 7 edition, which goes on sale on Monday, the weekly said Rumsfeld insisted at least six times in the run-up to the conflict that the proposed number of ground troops be sharply reduced and got his way.

"He thought he knew better. He was the decision-maker at every turn," the article quoted an unidentified senior Pentagon planner as saying. "This is the mess Rummy put himself in because he didn't want a heavy footprint on the ground."

It also said Rumsfeld had overruled advice from war commander Gen. Tommy Franks to delay the invasion until troops denied access through Turkey could be brought in by another route and miscalculated the level of Iraqi resistance.

"They've got no resources. He was so focused on proving his point -- that the Iraqis were going to fall apart," the article, by veteran journalist Seymour Hersh, cited an unnamed former high-level intelligence official as saying.

A spokesman at the Pentagon declined to comment on the article.

Rumsfeld is known to have a difficult relationship with the Army's upper echelons while he commands strong loyalty from U.S. special operations forces, a key component in the war.

He has insisted the invasion has made good progress since it was launched 10 days ago, with some ground troops 50 miles from the capital, despite unexpected guerrilla-style attacks on long supply lines from Kuwait.

Hersh, however, quoted the former intelligence official as saying the war was now a stalemate.

Much of the supply of Tomahawk cruise missiles has been expended, aircraft carriers were going to run out of precision guided bombs and there were serious maintenance problems with tanks, armored vehicles and other equipment, the article said.

"The only hope is that they can hold out until reinforcements arrive," the former official said.

The article quoted the senior planner as saying Rumsfeld had wanted to "do the war on the cheap" and believed that precision bombing would bring victory.

Some 125,000 U.S. and British troops are now in Iraq. U.S. officials on Thursday said they planned to bring in another 100,000 U.S. soldiers by the end of April.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:10 PM       
The U.S. has planned all along to send extra troops to Iraq as the conflict progressed.

What's the point?
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 12:30 PM       
Well, the point is certainly not contained in the last sentence like you seem to have inferred.

Why has Rumsfeld ignored the advice of people with real military experience? He himself has none.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 01:22 PM       
the chickenhawks are relying on the military to fix thier screw ups..

like my sign at the protest in my town read: 'Faith in the Troops / NO FAITH in the Bush Regime'

the military is full of professionals doing thier damnedest to keep thier asses from getting shot which is exactly what the bush schmucks wanted. others fighting for them and taking the spotlight off the bushfucks. the bush regime is a criminal regime in soooo many ways and the ways keep adding up. has anyone noticed that the bushcrook is more scripted now? i'm amazed it's taken them this long to shut up that simpletons ad lib bull crap. i have NO simpathy for the Republicants anymore.

geeze, they even started the war on a full moon, not to mention a holy week for some of the folks they wanted to revolt on saddam.

pathetic

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 01:52 PM       
ranxer, listen to yourself.

We started the war then because we had credible evidence that Saddam and generals were meeting in a certain area. The fact that we could curtail our whole war on that little bit of information and start it was truly awesome and shows why our military is Super Cool #1.

I also have no respect for the intelligence of someone that has his cute little capitalist American flag covered with symbols of companies and the big bad police state solider. What kind of point are you trying to prove? Democracy in of itself is nice, but is flawed because 51% of the people can fuck over the other 49%. Especially in our 30 second attention span society, people vote with their feelings not with their brains.

Oh yes ranxer, I would like to compare Rumsfeld's credentials as to yours about military planning and strategy. And how would YOU handle it, since you are so full vital knowledge that the world should know.
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 02:15 PM       
Well, going by recent information:

Ranxer's credentials: none
Rumsfeld's credentials: none

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:25 PM       
http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/rumsfeld-bio.html
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:31 PM       
Whoa! An aviator! No wonder he's relying heavily on bombardment from 1000 miles away and other flying contraptions.

Maybe he was expecting the troops who were supposed to travel through Turkey to sprout wings and fly there.

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:36 PM       
Woah, I love how you are shown how much of a moron you are and then don't admit it when you were so wrong!
Resident Chimp
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:44 PM       
Sorry, I must have been having sex at the time.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 04:58 PM       
Vince, instead of atttacking poster personally, why not weigh in on the topic. What do you think of Rumsfeld's war plan so far? Should we have had more ground troops? Should we have weighted until troops originally intended to enter from the North made it to other points? Are our supply lines stretched too thin?

Qualified or not, Rumsfled has long been a proponent of Military 'tranformation' to rapid response. Wht do you think so far? Is this a good nstrategy or not?