Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:11 PM       
Do you realize you've contradicted yourself in your very post? First, you criticize us for not being critical of FDR, implying he was personally responsible for the some of the supposed ruinous policies you have cited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
You people praise FDR without knowing what he did. Sad, really.
Then you say a leader is just a figure-head, as an apology for the poor leadership of George Bush.

Quote:
Tom, the leader is nothing more than a figure head. All I care about is policy.
Which is it, Cliff? If you believe a leader is only a figure-head, then the language you have used to criticize FDR's presidency, speaking as if he was the sole impetus behind the New Deal, points, at the very least, to your sloppy thinking process. If you believe a leader has much to do with the formulation of his/her administrations's policies and setting the tone of conduct of his/her administration, then you must accept that Bush is a poor-assed leader for your country for the reasons I've cited already.

Geez, man, you really should stop pretending you're George F. Will on This Week.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:25 PM       
FDR WAS a figure head. Replace him with "FDR's administration". I don't feel like throwing in all the extra words.

I support most of Bush's policies, so I wouldn't call them him a "poor-assed" leader. Compared to Clinton, he's a miracle.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:28 PM       
So explain Bush's departure from the mainstream of the current administration ... a point at which he really stuck his neck out and opposed their will. Name one time.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by doofus
All I care about is policy. Anything else is null, void, and intellectually bankrupt.
Oddly enough, that's a startlingly good description of Bush Administration policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofus
In addition, he did not say that all things a underling does falls under the leader. He said that a leader must be responsible. He did not say for what.
This is idiotic beyond belief. If a leader is responsible, the fact that he is the leader, means he is responsible. He oversees what is carried out. That's what leaders do, which is why they are called leaders. Again, prickiness for prickiness' sake.
Mocker
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:26 PM       
Define responsible, because there is more than one way in which the term is applied.

I really don't see how much different this lie, if you could call it that, is any worse than what average politicians spew from their mouths during election season...

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:34 PM       
Quote:
I really don't see how much different this lie, if you could call it that, is any worse than what average politicians spew from their mouths during election season...
Well let me summarize: When your state's governor is running for reelection, and says that he'll increase spending on education, and then doesn't once he's elected, no one is dead.

Compare that to lying about something to start a war, and the body count is slightly higher than zero.

Moreover, the governor lying about his plans for education might irritate the voters, whereas the president lying about WMDs has thoroughly pissed off most of the world. And don't give me any of that "those countries already hated us" BS.
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 03:27 AM       
that old dude must have died. now there just a red x there...
Mocker
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:44 PM       
This comment has little to do with the war.

Soldiers in the military are trained to die. That's their job. The day the military becomes a gigantic workfare program is the day that we don't need one.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 05:21 PM       
Quote:
Soldiers in the military are trained to die. That's their job.
No, they're trained to fight/survive. Otherwise, their training would consist of learning to make themselves easy targets for enemy fire, and how to kill themselves with their own rifles.

Of course, Bush seems to believe their only purpose is to die, and is trying to instill that upon the troops by cutting their funding here and there.