Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Raize is probably a spambot
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:36 PM        Review: DareDevil: Man Without Fear (Xbox)
I've always thought of Daredevil as the more mature comic book hero. Whereas Spiderman catered to teens that dealt with such complicated issues as pimples, masturbation, suicide, and homework, Daredevil dealt with issues that affected a more advanced audience. In reality, both of them were still targetted to the same age group, but Daredevil fans would stick with him throughout their college years instead of participating in underage drinking (yeah right).

Hot on the tails of the movie, this first-person shooter features Matt Murdoch. Our hero is a man who, due to a horrible nuclear waste mishap when he was younger, has been blinded but is given heightened senses of touch and hearing.

You start off in Hell's Kitchen, I'm guessing inside a building, but I don't know cause I couldn't see. Keeping true to the superhero's powers and storyline, you can't see a damn thing in this game. In fact, I can't count the number of times I lost my walking stick/cane/baton weapon by using the throw (Y) button.

The controller shaking is the best way to know when you're getting hit, that and the fancy red flashes on the screen. I've found that if you just start pounding the buttons, it usually ends up with you winning. I was pretty excited when I finished my first mission.

CUTSCENE:

The cutscenes are where the graphics really shine during the game because the heads up display (HUD) disappears and you actually advance the plot. One of the most frustrating aspects about the game (aside from being blind) is that during one of the cutscenes, Elektra is getting hot and heavy with our demonic hero and you can't see anything. Boy can you ever hear it though.

Mission 8 was a toughie. I've found the best way to kill Bullseye is to circle strafe and spam the X button. If you do it long enough you'll end up winning. I don't even know what the X button does, but it uses a shitload of power so be sure to let it recharge and never stop circle-strafing.

My roommate, who is deaf, thought the game was really crappy. Fuck him, what does he know anyway? The sound effects in the game were superb, including the cocking of all the guns (your sign to start strafing and spamming that X key). "Evanescence - Bring Me to Life" wasn't there though, so the game as a whole was shit. They didn't even have a damn Chevelle song off the soundtrack in the game. How the hell am I supposed to play a game as a blind superhero if the music sucks?

GRAPHICS: 10
AUDIO: 3
GAMEPLAY: 7
FUN FACTOR: 5

TOTAL: FUCK THAT, THIS ISN'T MATH.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 02:38 PM       
This would have been funny, if I hadn't seen this joke already done by a Something Awful Goon in Tuesday's Comedy Goldmine.

Edit: More importantly, they knew when to stop. The concept of a DareDevil video game being pretty much pitch black can only go so far. After the first screenshot, your idea was dead and unfunny. But it wasn't funny anyway, since I already saw the exact same joke a couple days ago.

Old Mar 13th, 2003, 04:59 PM        lol
I thought up the idea after watching the movie and didn't actually start work on it till today. The concept of a 'review' requires that I do more than post a blank picture as a screenshot.

And you're right, more than one screenshot could be "going too far". Want to talk about completely overdone humor? Look no furthur than your avatar pic.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:02 PM       
concept of a 'review' requires that I do more than post a blank picture as a screenshot.

Which is why I was pointing out this wasn't a good concept to use for a review. Please pay attention if you're going to be made fun of.

Want to talk about completely overdone humor? Look no furthur than your avatar pic.

MY AVATAR? INSULTED? NOOOOO MY ONE WEAKNESS.

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 12:41 AM        .
I thought up the idea of doing a review and didn't stray from it with just one crappy screenshot. I had more to say other than "check out this screenshot". I wanted to comment on gameplay and actually throw down a "rating" of 10 for graphics via a review.

I'm glad you hated it. And despite your sarcasm, your avatar still sucks, and you know it. Yatta is as over and done with as the "all your base" craze, and like the massive numbers of your brethern at SA, you'll be rehashing the same old lame ass jokes over and over again.

Oh, and I saw the item you mentioned at the comedy goldmine. Pretty fucking lame. About as much thought went into that as deciding to use the avatar you did. Only cropping was involved in the creation of your avatar, so it would appear you've got something over on them.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 12:46 AM       
See, the problem with your reasoning about my avatar, is that it's not Happatai (Yatta is a song Happatai did). So you can go ahead and make fun of Happatai all you like, since it has nothing to do with my user pic.

Keep these educated opinions coming. Just don't try to put them into another "hilarious" review that reeks of effort in hopes that the joke doesn't get old by the second sentence.
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 01:36 AM        Re: Review: DareDevil: Man Without Fear (Xbox)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raize
Whereas Spiderman catered to teens that dealt with such complicated issues as pimples, masturbation, suicide, and homework...
I'll admit, it was reasonably funny, but as far as your joke about Spider-Man, FUCK YOU Spider-Man kicks ass

Old Mar 14th, 2003, 11:20 AM        .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesman
is that it's not Happatai
LOL