Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM        Books
So, we were told to talk about books in here.

Some of my favorites writers are

Pratchett
Steinbeck
Douglas Adams
Hunter Thompson
Crichton

I really like reading Mythology stories. Doesn't matter what country they come from.
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 10:24 PM       
Heinlein
125% 3D
Cfr5 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:34 PM       
I like Crichton a lot too. For Christmas I got Next, which I started reading the other day. My copy of Eaters of the Dead mysteriously vanished. I was planning on re-reading it until it turned out to not exist anymore.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM       
Abolish reading.
125% 3D
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 12:55 PM       
Obviously it's a form of vanity.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:21 PM       
I used to read a lot of Crichton, but now I find his books are just really annoying. All of the fake science talk just gets on my nerves, and so does the pointless random inserts whenever one of the characters starts reading from a monitor or magazine:

Quote:
Bob looked at the monitor. It said:

Jurassic Park and Sphere are still pretty awesome, though.
125% 3D
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM       
That made me think of a few quotes from 24: "The binary strings are caught in a loop matrix." and "I machine coded a binary matrix..."
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 04:31 PM       
I haven't read a Chrichton that I didn't like. I have seen movies of his and prime time dramas that suck. Like what was the one with the monkey in the jungle called? The talking Ape called Amy? In the book, the ape knew sign language and only one of the team members knew sign language, so there was a secret relationship there. But in the movie the ape had a gadget on her arm that spoke the words she was signing so that everyone could hear. But I understand why he did that.

I like that his books and his movies from books are nothing like each other.

Are you saying that Eaters of the the Dead is no longer available to the public, or you just can't find yours?
125% 3D
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:06 PM       
I never saw the movie version of Congo but that sounds pretty bullshitty. Was it also changed to have absolutely nothing to do with collecting diamonds? I just finished reading Timeline again before reading the new book I got, and from what I've heard, it's a very good thing that I never bothered watching that movie.

And I just can't find my book that I definitely had. It must've turned into Rising Sun somehow because I apparently have two copies of that now.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:33 PM       
Yeah Congo sucked bad. It was a long time ago that I saw it, so I don't remeber what it was about, but I do remember that the book and the movie are way different stories. Have you seen the movie for eaters of the dead? It was called... um... Fuck, I forgot. It was a good movie though.

I have heard that he writes books and screenplays different for a reason. He feels that a book is better read a certain way, while visuals need to take imore of an importance in movies. That would explain why his books have more feelings involved while the movie has lots more action.

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:41 PM       
My favorite authors:

Oscar Wilde
Kahlil Gibran
James Michener
125% 3D
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:44 PM       
If I recall, Eaters of the Dead was The Thirteenth Warrior. I did see that one and it appeared to be closer to the book than the other movie/book combos. But I've neither read the book nor seen the movie in a long time and can't remember details. I gave up on looking for my book though.

And of course the different formats make sense. I'm not gonna bother adding more to that statement.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 07:17 PM       
I hate him for creating the hit tv shoe "ER" though.

I never did get into Oscar Wilde but I did like "Portrait of Owen M." I think he wrote that.

I have a hard time with books on Philosophy. Like say, "The art and zen of motorcycle repair". I really liked it and it was well written, but reading about things that I already agree with and believe in bores me.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 11:53 PM       
Eaters of the Dead was also a good one. It's was republished as Thirteenth Warrior after the movie was released... it wasn't a bad Viking movie, either, I thought.

The Sphere movie was balls. Congo was good if you already know it's a bad movie and can laugh at the whole thing.

"STOP EATING MY SESAME SEED CAKE!"
Spruce Moose is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM       
I like Ray Bradbury. And Ken Follett seems good, thoguh all I've read of his is "Eye of the Needle".
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:36 PM       
I read the screenplay for Twister and it was way way more different to the movie version.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:40 PM       
Well, as long as it had reference to Bill Paxton's unnecessary groping of Helen Hunt in the end scene where they're strapped to the well, I'm sure it was awesome.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:44 PM       
He was really submissive and she was very aggressive in the screenplay, which I thought was weird because he doesn't say much and gives in to her arguments a lot.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 10:11 PM       
Well, I guess this is the appropriate place. My younger sister sent me her literature class's reading list for the semester, asking if I had anything on it. I thought it was a terrible selection, and she explained that the TA who made the list is Turkish. Seeing that one of the good books on it was Slaughterhouse-Five, I told her to probe him on why he chose to use that work of Vonnegut instead of Bluebeard. The idea was for her to keep asking questions while recording the class discussion, so that eventually he reveals himself to be racist against Armenians and she can report him and he loses his visa and gets deported. That'd be swift justice for his inclusion of "Fight Club", I'm sure.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:52 PM       
Keep this thread here hidden from fan boys please.
GET OUT
Asila is probably a spambot
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 08:44 PM       
Quote:
Pratchett
Douglas Adams
I think I love you a little.

I'll bounce between fantasy/sci-fi, mystery, and specific non-fiction. I just finished reading this book called "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" which is all about punctuation, and I'm such a nerd for loving that book as much as I did. Besides that I love the really old british mysteries written by, say, Doyle or Christie or Marsh.

I'm at the stage now with the Foundation series by Asimov, where I'm eyeing the books in a semi-threatening manner, which is prelude to the actual reading.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM       
That sounds interesting, I can't even begin to think what a book about punctuation would be like. Douglas did a few side books about a detective called Dirk Gently. Those were great, and I suggest picking those up at the library if you haven't read them yet. Adams and Pratchett totally ruined reading for me. My scifi now has to be extremely funny and mind warpingly witty. I like British humor. It's a nice break from American satire. Have you read the whole collection of Sherlock Holmes? That is a real good read.
GET OUT
Asila is probably a spambot
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:36 PM       
Quote:
Have you read the whole collection of Sherlock Holmes?
You're kidding, right? I lived and breathed Holmes for about 10 years of my life; the only reason I haven't read a story about him recently is because I've read every single thing done by any author so many times that I have them memorized. Speaking of Holmes and non-Doyle writers: don't pick up anything by Laurie R. King ever, as she's the very epitome of a Mary Sue.

And yes, I have the Dirk Gently books. Pratchett, at least, spoiled me for fantasy: I can't read any of the so-called 'serious' fantasy books now without rolling my eyes a bit. Gaiman didn't help (ooh, I met him once at a book signing). (I have an ex-boyfriend that tried to get me into the most depressing fantasy I've ever read in my entire life--some series written by Robin Hobbe. I about killed myself afterwards). Speaking of british humour, the punctuation book was written by a british woman, and had that perfect mixture of humour and fact... which is probably why I loved it so much.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 09:53 PM       
Some other good mystery writer (at least in my mind) is Lawerence Sanders and The guy who wrote the American Indian ones... I forget his name. Currently I'm reading Mario Puzo's The Fourth K. But I haven't been reading lately. I haven't wanted to do much lately. Must be the winter blues.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM       
If you like mysteries, try Mickey Spillane, Dashiell Hammet, or Max Allen Collins' work.