Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Virgin

Mjcool is probably a spambot
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:08 AM        OK. "Worst Of" Comics?
Since I love nothing more than reading hilarious insults.

Worst comic series?

Worst single issue of a comic?

Worst Plot Twist?

Lamest Character?

Lamest Death?

You don't have to answer all of these, and feel free to come up with some new shit that I missed.
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:07 PM       
How about worst writers?

Chuck Austin
Reginald Hudlin

And we actually have a "Lamest Deaths" collaboration in the works.
Forum Virgin

Mjcool is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM       
I'm gonna enjoy that, I think.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown View Post
And we actually have a "Lamest Deaths" collaboration in the works.
If it's like "shittiest way to go", I'd probably say psycho pirate.

That was very funny. Well done.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM       
Young Blood
John Romita Jr (he can't fucking draw hair)
Can I say X-Men: Deadly Genesis. I dont care weither it well written or not, enough with these danmed revisions!

Last edited by Girl Drink Drunk : Apr 3rd, 2007 at 10:13 PM.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:35 AM       
I actually really enjoy John Romita Jr's style. But it's definitely not for everybody.
Official forum judge
Girl Drink Drunk is probably a spambot
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 11:26 PM       
Like you said, "to each his own" I suppose. lol.

The conclusion to the Hush story-arc. I thought it was a tad confusing and not quite as dramatic as the rest of the arc.
Buffalo Tom is probably a spambot
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 01:00 AM       
Brad Meltzer. I mean, geez, it took him 6 issues to get the whole new Justice League together, and whom do they end up fighting? An android who wears a night-cap and a super-intelligent cannibal zombie. Dude thinks good dialogue involves characters speaking non-sensical sentences that trail off with ellipses.

Jeph Loeb. His writing is melodramatic and maudlin.
Forum Virgin
tehdrk is probably a spambot
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:02 AM       
I have a Sonic comic that has cameos by the likes of Spawn, Savage Dragon and a few others. Also a Spiderman featuring Aunt May and Frankling Richards taking on Galactus (plus a giant Pilsbury dough-boy who makes planet sized twinkies to which just so happens to completely satisfy Galactus).

OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 07:50 AM       
hey cuntrape, shrink that sig down pronto
The Goddamned Batman
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 01:41 PM       
BT, I think that both Brad Meltzer and Jeph Loeb have turned out some fine work in the past (Archer's Quest and The Long Halloween), but I'm not impressed with anything either of them has done lately either.
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 04:00 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoclown View Post
BT, I think that both Brad Meltzer and Jeph Loeb have turned out some fine work in the past (Archer's Quest and The Long Halloween), but I'm not impressed with anything either of them has done lately either.
Jeph Loeb is over-rated as a writer, I think. Those high-concept mini-series he did with Tim Sale (Long Halloween, Spiderman: Blue, Daredevil: Yellow) are pretty much the only works of his I can stomach. The rest are blech. 'Hush' was over-rated.

Brad Meltzer just can't pace a comic book. I mean, the first six issues of JLA were slow and plodding. I still don't get why Solomon Grundy wanted to fuck up Red Tornado. Contrast this with Morrison's first six issues of JLA. The team was together right from the start, and they were thrown immediately into action against an invasion of super-powered Martians. I'm looking forward to Meltzer leaving the title, and seeing what Dwayne McDuffie can do.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Jul 11th, 2007, 12:52 PM       
Oh, I agree about Meltzer's pacing and I too am looking forward to McDuffie's run since his characterizations in Fantastic Four have been SPOT ON and enjoyable as hell to read. I haven't watched any of his DC animated episodes yet, but I will soon because I'm going through the Justice League DVDs now. You gotta admit though that Archer's Quest was a damn fine Green Arrow story though, eh?

And sadly, I've not yet read any of Grant Morrisson's JLA run. The trades are all on my "must pick up someday" list, but there are about a million other things on that list as well...

BTW, have you been reading Geoff Johns new JSA run? It's been damned entertaining! I never gave two shits about the JSA before, but now...I'm hooked!

I like everything Jeph Loeb has done with Tim Sale, but I also can't think of anything he did NOT paired up with him that has been particularly worthwhile (his current run on Wolverine is abysmal, not to mention Fallen Son, which you might think he could've given some personal perspective to after dealing with the pain of his own son's death). I have a theory that Tim Sale gives Jeph Loeb superpowers when it comes to writing, and without Sale's assistance, Loeb's writing is mired in muddled mediocrity.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 02:26 AM       
Yup, I'm a reading JSA. It's one of my favourite titles right now. Actually, some of my favourite titles right now are written by Geoff Johns - Green Lantern, Action Comics, JSA. DC has some interesting story lines going on right now. What did you think of 'The Lightning Saga'? My guess is that they the Legion went back in time to bring back Barry Allen. Speaking of the Flash, I'm looking forward to Mark Waid writing the Flash again.

I'm not collecting much Marvel stuff these days, beyong Runaways and the New Avengers.

I could talk comics until the cows come home.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 12:45 PM       
Yeah, I definitely think that on the whole DC is putting out better books than Marvel right now, but all the guys at my local comic shop are really behind what Marvel is doing right now. Ugh. They're still putting out some good books though...Brubaker's Captain America and Daredevil are great reads, Runaways is always fun, Garth Ennis's version of the Punisher never disappoints me, and Mike Carey's X-Men has been fairly interesting so far. I'm thinking of dropping New Avengers actually...the more Bendis I read, the more I dislike Bendis. It REALLY grates on my nerves when he has people speaking totally out of character with Yiddish words...not so much in New Avengers but in Ultimate Spider-Man. In the latest issue the Kingpin was dropping Yiddish words which I do not believe for one second he would even know. I mean, hey, I'm totally down with Bendis being proud to be Jewish and all, but does he really need to have characters speaking in a way that doesn't fit their character just because he can't keep that stuff off the page? Ironically, when Bendis writes dialog for Kitty Pride, she doesn't drop nearly as much Yiddish into her conversation as Peter Parker.

I'm reading Action Comics as well and have been enjoying the Donner/Johns run (though the delays have been very annoying). I read the first issue of the Green Lantern launch and never picked it up after that, though I hear Johns is doing great things. I was never much into the Flash, but I got the first issue of the relaunch and thought it sucked (and apparently so did everyone else). But because of that, I'm not really interested in picking it back up.

I thought the Lightning Saga was okay, but I was really kind of annoyed that it sort of interrupted the momentum that JSA was building on its own, and I'm glad that book can go back to kicking ass in its own right now. As for JLA, I was almost relieved that it forced an end to Meltzer's overly drawn out and convoluted team building story. I'm also not particularly thrilled with the dynamic of the new JLA team.

How've you been enjoying Countdown? I think it's been okay so far but it hasn't really hooked me yet. The most interesting arc so far has been the Mary Marvel one, I think.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 01:08 AM       
I've been kind of 'meh' about 'Countdown'. It's just been a little slow for me. I guess they're setting stuff up for the next major crisis next year (which, by the way, Kurt Busiek, one of my favourite writers, is rumoured to be plotting and writing). It doesn't feel as presicient as I thought it would be. Contrast this with the 'Camelot Falls' storyline in 'Superman', where Busiek has basically hinted very loudly that a crisis is coming to the DC universe, and that Superman's presence may exacerbate its impact. I think it's going to be a rocky year for the DC universe.

Have you been reading Paul Dini's run on 'Detective'? He just finished a two part Joker story that pegged the character exactly. Also, one of the writers from 'Heroes' is doing a multi-part story in 'Batman: Confidential' that details the story of Batman's first encounter with the criminal who would become the Joker.

You should definitely check out Flash. Mark Waid's previous tenure on the book is one of my favourite runs on a comic title ever, and his return to the book can only mean good things for the character.
The Goddamned Batman
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM       
Heh. I'm starting to feel like we should take this geekery to email like we used to back in the good ol' days. But nobody seems to care that we've hijacked the thread, so...

Speaking of Kurt Busiek, did you check out his run on the new Conan book by Dark Horse? Fantastic stuff...hell, it's still been really good since he left. I hear that it's staying very close to the source material, but having never read any Howard, I can't say for sure.

A big event by Busiek could be cool, but I for one am getting tired of these big events again. Things are starting to feel kind of like they did in the early 90s, right before everybody got sick of the same old empty gimmicks and dropped out of the game. The industry is walking a bit of a tightrope right now, I think, and too many more HUGE events that demand that the reader read shitloads of tie-ins to understand what's going on and there's going to be some serious fallout.

I've really been enjoying Dini's run on Detective and I'm glad to see that it seems he's finally breaking out of the "one-shot" story mold...because let's face it, how much tension can a story have when you KNOW it's going to be resolved in 22 pages, no matter how dire things may seem on page 18?

I heard about that Batman Confidential story, but according to the review I read on IGN, this newbie comic writer kind of completely sweeps away what Alan Moore did in the Killing Joke. Is that true? It seems kind of like an overly ballsy/shitty thing for a new writer to do--stepping on Alan Moore's toes. I mean, you could argue whether or not the shit in the Killing Joke is canon truth or just another of the Joker's delusions/lies, but still, hearing what Confidential did kind of turned me off from checking it out. If you recommend it though, I may take a look.
Seeker of Clams
Blue Gularis is probably a spambot
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM       
This will date me...

When they gave Storm a mohawk and made the X-Men all live in an old shoe while engaging in painful self analysis.

I miss Dave Cockrum.