Kilgore Cod is probably a spambot
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM       
My favorites are:

Douglas Adams
Kurt Vonnegut
Terry Pratchett
Robert A. Heinlein
Philip K. Dick

I also like this guy named A. Lee Martinez. He only has 3 books out now but he's already shown to hold his own against stuff by Pratchett or Adams.
Ringmonster
J. Tithonus Pednaud is probably a spambot
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 04:13 PM       
Um...those are authors, not books.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 04:46 PM       
How many people here like George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series?

Because I've been putting off starting A Game of Thrones for almost a year because I'm afraid it'll be really really gay

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Member (haw haw, scrotum)
terrva is probably a spambot
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 12:59 AM       
I just started on readin' Terror by Night, Classic Ghost and Horror Stories by Ambrose Bierce. Pretty good stuff.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 01:47 AM       
I also the The Fourth Estate.
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Tithonus Pednaud View Post
Um...those are authors, not books.
In case you didn't notice, most people have been listing authors, and not books in this thread. I'm sure a list like that would be WAY too big for many people here.

I really like Ken Follett (so to the guy who mentioned him before, I recommend his other works), also Terry Pratchett (who is hard not to love), Walter Moers (think something along the lines of german Terry Pratchett, but less satirical) , R.A. Salvatore (though I wish he'd write something not about Drizzt, since it's getting kinda tedious). Michael Crichton is pretty cool, and I recently read the Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer, which I can only recommend.
He speaks truth!
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:45 PM       
But Drizzt is a Drow that lives above ground and gets his friends killed & then feels bad about it!

Salvatore's Cleric Quintet is the worst fantasy story arc that I have ever subjected myself too. Also, needs more jokes.
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 06:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover View Post
Salvatore's Cleric Quintet is the worst fantasy story arc that I have ever subjected myself too. Also, needs more jokes.
Meh, I thought it was pretty good actually. Really, I just mentioned him 'cause he got me into fantasy which got me in to CRPGs, so I thought he deserved mentioning, seeing how I owe a lot to him from that standpoint.
He speaks truth!
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 06:11 PM       
man i did like salvatores stuff when i was a teen despite all the ridiculous mary sues he tends to put in there
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 06:20 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Hippo View Post
Meh, I thought it was pretty good actually.
Thinking on it I have read worse, but I appriciated it more because I was 16 & below & plain didn't know. For example there is one that I remember where this ginger haired boy gets a silver steak of hair from fighting some great evil & becomes a super warrior wizard thing & I really liked it, but now I can't think of it with out neon cliché signs exploding in my head.

Also, Willie is spot on with the too many Mary-Sues.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 06:28 PM       
ps if i ever, ever say mary sue again plz jab me in the eyes
Näyttelijäbotti!
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM       
Oh man, Willie, I was just about to introduce you to a great girl called Mary Sue & she was perfect for you. Nevermind now.
El Oh El is probably a spambot
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 04:04 AM       
i liked the first three hitchhikers books but i couldn't get into the later ones.
OH GOD
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 07:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover View Post
Oh man, Willie, I was just about to introduce you to a great girl called Mary Sue & she was perfect for you. Nevermind now.
does she like guys who have recently had their eyes poked