Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:42 PM       
Dreams reminds me of this. Not that they're similar or anything. They're just connected in my mind.

Don't let the French mingle with the Japanese. They make scary and beautiful things.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:49 PM       

And on a different note, who else likes not-happy endings?
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:13 PM       
Aarg you would probably like this Furin Kazan movie. Its the first samurai movie Ive seen with a change of seasons. The winter scenes are really pretty

the only thing that sucks is that its a historical movie about a famous strategist but it skips over most of the battles.
oh and i guess there'sa tvshow of it im talking about the 1960 or so movie produced/starring Toshiro Mifune

Last edited by kahljorn : Aug 3rd, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:44 PM       
How about Kung Fu? Yeah I know it isn't as awesome as watching Japs run around flailing swords over their heads to scare off peasants, but this movie was pretty nice.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV...638_SY945_.jpg
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM       
that link is broken lol

also I watched that remake of Hara-Kiri that came out last year and that movie is pretty damned amazing
and this movie called Revenge that they had on netflix was pretty good
BANNED

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 01:57 PM       
ismy new signature too much?
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 02:10 PM       
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1425257/

Maybe this one then
BANNED

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM       
ah ya ive seen tht on netflix b4 ill try watching it

I really like IP Man and IP Man 2 -- especially since they are based on true stories. The second one I thought was particularly good.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 02:34 PM       
That Beyond credit music sounds like some tinny Mysterious Cities of Gold shit

Also, what is it with eyeballs. People flip the fuck out over eyeballs being not-right.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 03:22 PM       
It's implied that they're blind and have resigned themselves to being in a hellish wasteland with "all therein that may be explored."

I wrote a paper on giallo, too, which turned me onto a bunch of films I hadn't seen before. Italian pulp horror rules something fierce. Peoples getting murdered left and right.
BANNED

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM       
that dude looked pretty terrified for someone resigned to their fate

i guess he could just be in awe.

also id think its an allusion to dante's inferno but im not a very abstract thinker
God Emperor of Brigadoon

King Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty okKing Hadas is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 05:02 PM       
I thought it was a Lovecraftian thing. They saw something they couldn't unsee and now they're changed forever (goldeyes). To be honest though I don't think they put much thought into these thing. Lucio or whatever his name is probably just thought it would look cool.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 06:04 PM       
Also a good point. Vision is important to the plot of the movie, with the big baddie being an old painter. They'd been thrown into the nightmarescape he was painting earlier in the movie.

Freaky eyes is a good visual cue that something warped went on in someone's head, even almost ending up hacky here. But I thought the set, the acting, and the score during the finale just made the whole thing beautiful.

Mario and Lamberto Bava's movies are my favorites, though. Argento can feel too artsy if someone's not up for that type of movie. But Demons is one of my favorite movies of all time. Excellent visuals and makeup, along with a plot that doesn't pull punches. EVERYONE IN THIS THEATER MUST DIE.

ESPECIALLY THE BADASS PIMP.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 06:15 PM       

Parajanov was also important to me.
BANNED

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:12 PM       
Quote:
I thought it was a Lovecraftian thing. They saw something they couldn't unsee and now they're changed forever (goldeyes).
yea thats the other thing i was thinking. Kinda like in the one lovecraft movie where the thing grows out of his head and he basically starts seeing with his 3rdeye.

I'd really go for the Dante thing though, "Into the blind world we now descend." Isn't the director Italian?
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:54 PM       
Very much so. Italian horror and horror literature is a very distinct thing, reaching wayyyyyyy back, especially to Dante.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 09:32 PM       
I would go for Dante over Lovecraft. I guess it's more the timing of weirdeyes than anything. This was one of those instances that felt like a grand, sweeping directorial gesture..."and now...weirdeyes."

As opposed to, say, Event Horizon, that might as well have been renamed "Surprise, No Eyeballs!"
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 12:48 AM       
SAM NEILL
aint nobody

All Hail Duke is probably a spambot
Old Aug 4th, 2012, 04:55 AM       
vampires-one of if not the last good carpenter movie
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 05:07 PM       

Treating myself to two of my favorite movies today, Tenebrae and Tourist Trap, on the best format ever, VHS.

By the way Fathom, I watched a good half hour of the video you posted entitled "Color of Pomegranates" and it really reminded me of Jiri Barta, with the exception that Barta mainly does stop motion instead.

frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM       
Neato.
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM       
yeah jiri barta makes awesome short films.

also demons is fucking excellent. i don't like giallos as much as i like italian supernatural horror filmz.

dario argento's very hit-or-miss-and-mostly-miss, but i recently re-watched phenomena and it's totally cool except the chimp and i feel like i already posted here.

kalhlrjkorn i will have to check out that movie because of the cover:

also kung fu movies are great too
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 03:41 PM       
dblpost

Last edited by Aaarg : Aug 6th, 2012 at 03:42 PM. Reason: dblpost
teacup of sunshine
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 04:17 PM       
I've been trying to rewatch tourist trap forfuckingever
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 04:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaarg View Post
also kung fu movies are great too
I'm downloading a Shaw Brothers collection right now.