Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:15 AM       
So... are you the new OAO yet?
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 11:02 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
So how come her sentencing isn't till june and guys who rob liquor stores get hauled out of court in handcuffs as soon as the verdict comes in?
She didn't have anyone at gun point, which means she isn't a violent felon. And she has a better lawyer.

The fucked up thing is, she is just a pelt for the investigators to hang up. The guy who comitted the bigger offenses(Skilling) and deserves more jailtime is pleading out so the prosecutor can make a name.

I'm not trying to defend her here. She deserves the 20, but why is the guy who pretty much masterminded the deal getting a slap on the wrist?
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 12:16 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkgrrrlie10
Perjury is a crime. One and Only, just so you understand...LYING to law enforcement and the SEC is a crime in any jurisdiction in the country, especially the federal one.
You do realize that she wasn't actually proven guilty, right? To be honest, there shouldn't have been any conviction - there wasn't enough evidence. There's a reason why all the lawyers were saying that Martha would walk.

And Pern, legal positivism is barely even a coherent position anymore.

imported_Hollycaust is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 02:16 PM       
oh i hope you all perish into your filthy lifestyles now that martha is RIP =.(
mesobe is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM       
well now instead of glueing pinecones to styofoam balls, she will be making shaking knifes from toothbrushes.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The One and Only...
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkgrrrlie10
Perjury is a crime. One and Only, just so you understand...LYING to law enforcement and the SEC is a crime in any jurisdiction in the country, especially the federal one.
You do realize that she wasn't actually proven guilty, right? To be honest, there shouldn't have been any conviction - there wasn't enough evidence. There's a reason why all the lawyers were saying that Martha would walk.

And Pern, legal positivism is barely even a coherent position anymore.
You obviously have no concept of how the jury system works in the country. When the jury finds you guilty, that means she was actually proven guilty. That whole presumption of innocence applies until a trial, which a jury sits and hears and then they decide whether she's guilty or not. They say "we find the defendant guilty as charged your honor" and that is considered proven guilty. Obviously there was enough evidence of the perjury charge b/c the judge didn't drop those charges yet dropped the insider trading charges for lack of evidence.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 07:47 PM       
Yes, well, but, oh, this one philsopher who you dopn't know about said it best in a language I'm sure you don't speak, and, uh, what I meant was several terms I bet you don't know the meaning of. Also, my mom? Says I'm special and you all disagree with me and put me down 'cause your jealous.
-Me, saving OAO the trouble.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:11 PM       
Having a jury hand down a guilty verdict is not the same as being proven guilty.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:43 PM       
actually "proven" guilty means just that, it was proved and the jury found that to be so. Now if you mean "actual" guilt that's different...but you're a dumb ass so you probably didn't meant that.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:50 AM       
Quote:
legal positivism
Shouldn't that be legal utilitarianism or somesort? Whatever. I vote for more sodomy.