Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 06:21 PM        Bush Blasts 'Revisionist Historians' on Iraq
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._usa_bush_dc_3

Bush Blasts 'Revisionist Historians' on Iraq
Mon Jun 16, 1:48 PM ET
By Randall Mikkelsen

ELIZABETH, N.J. (Reuters) - President Bush (news - web sites) countered those questioning his justification for the invasion of Iraq (news - web sites) on Monday, dismissing "revisionist historians" and saying Washington acted to counter a persistent threat.

"Now there are some who would like to rewrite history; revisionist historians is what I like to call them," Bush said in a speech to New Jersey business leaders.

Referring to the ousted Iraqi president, Bush said, "Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) was a threat to America and the free world in '91, in '98, in 2003. He continually ignored the demands of the free world, so the United States and friends and allies acted."

The president did not mention Iraqi unconventional weapons in his remarks, although accusations Iraq had chemical and biological weapons were central to his prewar campaign to build support for an attack. No such weapons have yet been found.

Many critics have said the administration exaggerated intelligence on the threat posed by Iraq to justify the invasion that topped Saddam. Bush has denied the accusations.

The Washington Post on Monday cited a former National Security Council counterterrorism aide under Bush as saying the administration's focus on Iraq undermined domestic security and counterterrorism alliances and could fuel al Qaeda recruiting efforts.

The aide, Rand Beers, resigned shortly before the Iraq war and is now security adviser for Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts.

The Post quoted Beers as saying the evidence used against Iraq was "pretty qualified" and that many of his government colleagues thought Iraq was an "ill-conceived and poorly executed strategy."

"I continue to be puzzled by it," he told the newspaper. "Why was it such a policy priority?"

Bush said, "This is for certain, Saddam Hussein is no longer a threat to the United States and our friends and allies."

Bush said the U.S. global war on terrorism, begun after the Sept. 11 2001 attacks and which he said encompassed the war on Iraq, would continue.

"This government will use whatever technologies and skill is necessary to secure America by hunting down those who would harm us one person at a time."
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 04:06 PM       
So while we don't know where the WMD are, and we don't know where Saddam is, but we do know lots and lots oand lots of WMD exist, how is it where certain Saddam is no longer a threat?

If there are no WMD, then he's not a threat.

If we find all the WMD, then he's not a threat.

If we find Saddam or his corpse, then he's not a threat.

But if everything the administration said and says is true? Still a threat. Kind of like Osama.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 04:58 PM       
Even if he is still a threat, he is less of one. With the fact that he no longer controls a country comes the fact that it will be harder for him to get more WMD. He can still get them, assuredly; but it must be somewhat more difficult.

I'd much rather they find the supposed WMD than Saddam. After all, if Saddam is dead, someone could just take his place and make plans for his weapons.