Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
theapportioner is probably a spambot
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 07:03 PM        high IQ of Ashkenazi Jews + persecuted past - a link?
Thoughts? I haven't had a chance to read the original paper. But if true, it could really shake things up...

-----

http://www.economist.com/science/dis...ory_id=4032638

Draft of the original manuscript: http://harpend.dsl.xmission.com/Docu...jbiosocsci.pdf

Natural genius?
Jun 2nd 2005
From The Economist print edition

The high intelligence of Ashkenazi Jews may be a result of their persecuted past

THE idea that some ethnic groups may, on average, be more intelligent than others is one of those hypotheses that dare not speak its name. But Gregory Cochran, a noted scientific iconoclast, is prepared to say it anyway. He is that rare bird, a scientist who works independently of any institution. He helped popularise the idea that some diseases not previously thought to have a bacterial cause were actually infections, which ruffled many scientific feathers when it was first suggested. And more controversially still, he has suggested that homosexuality is caused by an infection.

Even he, however, might tremble at the thought of what he is about to do. Together with Jason Hardy and Henry Harpending, of the University of Utah, he is publishing, in a forthcoming edition of the Journal of Biosocial Science, a paper which not only suggests that one group of humanity is more intelligent than the others, but explains the process that has brought this about. The group in question are Ashkenazi Jews. The process is natural selection.

Ashkenazim generally do well in IQ tests, scoring 12-15 points above the mean value of 100, and have contributed disproportionately to the intellectual and cultural life of the West, as the careers of Freud, Einstein and Mahler, pictured above, affirm. They also suffer more often than most people from a number of nasty genetic diseases, such as Tay-Sachs and breast cancer. These facts, however, have previously been thought unrelated. The former has been put down to social effects, such as a strong tradition of valuing education. The latter was seen as a consequence of genetic isolation. Even now, Ashkenazim tend to marry among themselves. In the past they did so almost exclusively.

Dr Cochran, however, suspects that the intelligence and the diseases are intimately linked. His argument is that the unusual history of the Ashkenazim has subjected them to unique evolutionary pressures that have resulted in this paradoxical state of affairs.

Ashkenazi history begins with the Jewish rebellion against Roman rule in the first century AD. When this was crushed, Jewish refugees fled in all directions. The descendants of those who fled to Europe became known as Ashkenazim.

In the Middle Ages, European Jews were subjected to legal discrimination, one effect of which was to drive them into money-related professions such as banking and tax farming which were often disdained by, or forbidden to, Christians. This, along with the low level of intermarriage with their gentile neighbours (which modern genetic analysis confirms was the case), is Dr Cochran's starting point.

He argues that the professions occupied by European Jews were all ones that put a premium on intelligence. Of course, it is hard to prove that this intelligence premium existed in the Middle Ages, but it is certainly true that it exists in the modern versions of those occupations. Several studies have shown that intelligence, as measured by IQ tests, is highly correlated with income in jobs such as banking.

What can, however, be shown from the historical records is that European Jews at the top of their professions in the Middle Ages raised more children to adulthood than those at the bottom. Of course, that was true of successful gentiles as well. But in the Middle Ages, success in Christian society tended to be violently aristocratic (warfare and land), rather than peacefully meritocratic (banking and trade).

Put these two things together—a correlation of intelligence and success, and a correlation of success and fecundity—and you have circumstances that favour the spread of genes that enhance intelligence. The questions are, do such genes exist, and what are they if they do? Dr Cochran thinks they do exist, and that they are exactly the genes that cause the inherited diseases which afflict Ashkenazi society.

That small, reproductively isolated groups of people are susceptible to genetic disease is well known. Constant mating with even distant relatives reduces genetic diversity, and some disease genes will thus, randomly, become more common. But the very randomness of this process means there should be no discernible pattern about which disease genes increase in frequency. In the case of Ashkenazim, Dr Cochran argues, this is not the case. Most of the dozen or so disease genes that are common in them belong to one of two types: they are involved either in the storage in nerve cells of special fats called sphingolipids, which form part of the insulating outer sheaths that allow nerve cells to transmit electrical signals, or in DNA repair. The former genes cause neurological diseases, such as Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's and Niemann-Pick. The latter cause cancer.

That does not look random. And what is even less random is that in several cases the genes for particular diseases come in different varieties, each the result of an independent original mutation. This really does suggest the mutated genes are being preserved by natural selection. But it does not answer the question of how evolution can favour genetic diseases. However, in certain circumstances, evolution can.

West Africans, and people of West African descent, are susceptible to a disease called sickle-cell anaemia that is virtually unknown elsewhere. The anaemia develops in those whose red blood cells contain a particular type of haemoglobin, the protein that carries oxygen. But the disease occurs only in those who have two copies of the gene for the disease-causing haemoglobin (one copy from each parent). Those who have only one copy have no symptoms. They are, however, protected against malaria, one of the biggest killers in that part of the world. Thus, the theory goes, the pressure to keep the sickle-cell gene in the population because of its malaria-protective effects balances the pressure to drive it out because of its anaemia-causing effects. It therefore persists without becoming ubiquitous.

Dr Cochran argues that something similar happened to the Ashkenazim. Genes that promote intelligence in an individual when present as a single copy create disease when present as a double copy. His thesis is not as strong as the sickle-cell/malaria theory, because he has not proved that any of his disease genes do actually affect intelligence. But the area of operation of some of them suggests that they might.

The sphingolipid-storage diseases, Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's and Niemann-Pick, all involve extra growth and branching of the protuberances that connect nerve cells together. Too much of this (as caused in those with double copies) is clearly pathological. But it may be that those with single copies experience a more limited, but still enhanced, protuberance growth. That would yield better linkage between brain cells, and might thus lead to increased intelligence. Indeed, in the case of Gaucher's disease, the only one of the three in which people routinely live to adulthood, there is evidence that those with full symptoms are more intelligent than the average. An Israeli clinic devoted to treating people with Gaucher's has vastly more engineers, scientists, accountants and lawyers on its books than would be expected by chance.

Why a failure of the DNA-repair system should boost intelligence is unclear—and is, perhaps, the weakest part of the thesis, although evidence is emerging that one of the genes in question is involved in regulating the early growth of the brain. But the thesis also has a strong point: it makes a clear and testable prediction. This is that people with a single copy of the gene for Tay-Sachs, or that for Gaucher's, or that for Niemann-Pick should be more intelligent than average. Dr Cochran and his colleagues predict they will be so by about five IQ points. If that turns out to be the case, it will strengthen the idea that, albeit unwillingly, Ashkenazi Jews have been part of an accidental experiment in eugenics. It has brought them some advantages. But, like the deliberate eugenics experiments of the 20th century, it has also exacted a terrible price.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:13 PM       
Theories of ethnic superiority or inferiority are always wrong. Except this one. Actually, I'm not that big a fan of a lot of other Ashkenasi Jews I've met over the years. I think this theory just explains me.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:47 PM       
oh and is "IQ" Intelligence now?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 09:49 PM       
http://www.answers.com/iq&r=67
Mocker

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 12:16 AM       
Quote:
[...]now widely considered to be neither accurate nor fair.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:55 AM       
Are the diseases mentioned here also found in non-Ashkenaz Jews? (Sephardim, Mizrahim, etc.)

And is this Dr. Cochran Jewish?
Mocker
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 01:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
Quote:
[...]now widely considered to be neither accurate nor fair.
which means it's debatable. but i didn't feel like debating so i posted a link.
Mocker
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 02:44 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X
Are the diseases mentioned here also found in non-Ashkenaz Jews? (Sephardim, Mizrahim, etc.)
Yes, presumably, as with the rest of the human population. However, the recessive alleles are especially prevalent in Ashkenazi Jews, because of significant founder effect.
Mocker
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 02:47 PM       
Well, I think most people would agree that the IQ measures -something-, despite the various flaws. Someone with an IQ of 125 is quite different from someone with an IQ of 75. Hard to argue that. I think most of the controversy has been around the role genes and/or environment plays in all this.
Mocker
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 05:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapportioner
Well, I think most people would agree that the IQ measures -something-
It measures test taking ability.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 01:14 AM       
It's just like every other survival of the fittest theorist who thinks they're inventing the wheel. it's also a bit too close to the whole "that's why Black people are so good at sports!" argument. It's also a sublte way to try and seperate the Jewish diaspora.

JewSupremacisy is probably a spambot
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:36 AM       
This is why we should combine into one race--so we can all have these genes.
Mocker
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 09:28 AM       
Hey numbnuts, homo sapiens sapiens IS one race.

JewSupremacisy is probably a spambot
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 09:34 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Hey numbnuts, homo sapiens sapiens IS one race.
Homo sapiens are divided into different sub-races.
Mocker
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 11:23 AM       
Quote:
[French, from Old French, from Old Italian razza, race, lineage.]

USAGE NOTE The notion of race is nearly as problematic from a scientific point of view as it is from a social one. European physical anthropologists of the 17th and 18th centuries proposed various systems of racial classifications based on such observable characteristics as skin color, hair type, body proportions, and skull measurements, essentially codifying the perceived differences among broad geographic populations of humans. The traditional terms for these populations—Caucasoid (or Caucasian), Mongoloid, Negroid, and in some systems Australoid—are now controversial in both technical and nontechnical usage, and in some cases they may well be considered offensive. (Caucasian does retain a certain currency in American English, but it is used almost exclusively to mean “white” or “European” rather than “belonging to the Caucasian race,” a group that includes a variety of peoples generally categorized as nonwhite.) The biological aspect of race is described today not in observable physical features but rather in such genetic characteristics as blood groups and metabolic processes, and the groupings indicated by these factors seldom coincide very neatly with those put forward by earlier physical anthropologists. Citing this and other points—such as the fact that a person who is considered black in one society might be nonblack in another—many cultural anthropologists now consider race to be more a social or mental construct than an objective biological fact.
Mocker

Old Jun 16th, 2005, 02:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapportioner
Well, I think most people would agree that the IQ measures -something-
well then if this thread is about this race having more of -something- then no big deal.
Mocker
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:36 PM       
No way. Leet test-taking skillz provide an amazing advantage in academia!
Mocker

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 11:18 PM       
So h'bout this race specific drug that got released?!
Mocker
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 06:07 PM       
A theory out there tries to explain the higher rates of hypertension etc. among American blacks as a legacy of selection pressures from the slaveships. Those who were saltier, survived the trip better.
Mocker

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:05 PM       
That's funny. That would mean sailors, people who lived on houseboats, beach side communities, etc. would all be susceptable to it too.

I can't see how persecution has anything to do with why Jews get Crohn's disease and it's derivatives.

Anyway, it's kind of hard to say there's no scientific proof that race exists now.
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 04:14 AM       
It wouldn't be exactly right to compare sailors to the African slaves regarding selection for hypertension, since sailors aren't really a population in the same way the slaves would have been. A sailor that has hypertension or whatever to survive at sea would live longer than another sailor, but that sailor will just go and have offspring that may inherit his hypertension genes but will not neccesarily be sailors dig? What I mean is that the next generation of sailors won't neccesarily be the offspring of the last generation of sailors who possessed genes for survivng at sea.
Basically the point is that for natural selection to work on a group, it has to be a biological populaiton, meaning an essentially reproductively isolated group. Since sailors aren't reproductively isolated, they can't evolve common characteristics.

Slaves with genes for survivng at sea would have had greater survival rates on the way to America, and this would have caused something of a founder effect. The population of slaves that arrived in America would have had a greater proportion of individuals with the genes that aided in surviving the trip over, and this could have theoretically lasted, since slaves in America were essentially reproductively isolated group for at least a couple generations.

There may not be 'races' of the human species, and indeed, there are no significant differences between different populations of humans, but that doesn't mean that certain traits can't be selected for in human populations given the right selection pressures. An entire population being transported across the Atlantic in such a brutal fashion could certainly have put the kind of pressure on a population to significantly select for a paticular trait.
Epidemics of diseases are a good example of pressures that rapidly cause selection for paticular traits. Within the space of a few generations, a population that was once almost completly vulnerable to a disease like smallpox or the plague can become almost entirely resistant to it.
Again though, such rapid selection pressures are limited to a few circumstances, and only cause paticular genes to be selected for. The "races" of the world may have had different selection pressures for a few things since they seperated, but human populations haven't really been seperated for long enough to diverge in any really significant ways.
Mocker
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 10:06 PM       
And we're less seperated now than ever. We could certainly do worse as a species than to discard this outdated notion of race and move on.

I really really hope I'm right and the children of multicultural families will have a genetic advantage from being less inbred than "racially homogenous" children. Then people in the South can quit hatin black folk and focus on hatin Northerners.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 10:08 PM       
I think the Southern logic goes that if you have two copies of the same gene, it must work twice as well, right?!
Mocker

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:08 AM       
I think I'm still missing the legtimacy of that sea salt theory. Slave trade Africans didn't spend entire generations on ships, to my knowledge. The idea that the only ones who had the genetics to survive such conditions can be relegated to one race, rather then the circumstances is a little suspect and fixated on race in it's own way. In order to use this theory to prove race doesn't exist, you still have to seperate the Black Africans somehow.... if not by race, then by some other reason. What reason? Time at sea exposed to salt air, with little nourishment, and brutal conditions? That aspect of the story isn't unique at all to history.

Wouldn't this mean the Pilgrims of Plymouth Rock would have this exact gene? Who else traveled by boat? Maybe it's not the salt air after all...maybe it's a gene procurred through survivors of extreme conditions when shackles are involved? Ahh! Don't make me get out my Viking novels!
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM       
Australians are good at sports... like negroes!

They both got shipped around in boats!!